Look here a coating thread, help me!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Nimand, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Nimand

Nimand

I recently purchased a g19g4. Long story short. Has the matte flat paint that people get so testy about. I am not trying to start a thread to hear "its a tool" or "they are ugly" just seeing if you guys can help me get this scuff out. Gun came this way and I am guessing its from the brush in the box. Anyway to "buff" this out? I understand its small and im sure once I start carrying it it will have worse but I have not even shot this yet and I am very OCD about things I own.

[​IMG]

2. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Was it a brass brush? If so it is probably brass that rubbed off on the gun, not a scuff where the finish is gone. First thing I would try would be a drop of oil and a piece of cloth and see if you can clean it up.

If that doesn't work then it may indeed be a scuff or scratches. There are answers for that too but they may cost a couple of bucks.

3. Nimand

Nimand

I thought it may be from the normal glock brush. Like I said, it came this way out of the box.

4. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

I wish I could give you an answer, but I've never tried to. My G19's slide finish is the same as yours. Holstering and unholstering the pistol has left marks on the slide. Not much I can do about it. I just accept it. If the finish wear gets truly annoying, it will give me an excuse to send off the slide to be coated: Cerakote, FailZero, Robar NP3, etc...

5. Nimand

Nimand

Makes sense. My 17 gen4 Made in USA that I got a year and a half ago had the "teflon" finish. Not sure which one I like yet. I hear ppl like the matte one better due to being able to have a better grip if hands or wet or bloody. Ive yet to carry anything so I dont know.

6. Audiman77

Audiman77

Try a cloth and some solvent. If that doesn't work it's probably scratched. My Gen 4 19 came with scratches on the top from the threading of the brush in the case. After about a year I sent it to fail zero. Don't listen to "it's a tool, deal with it". It's a $500+ gun and shouldn't come from the factory that way. If I did it from holster wear and carry, so be it. But that doesn't seem to be your case. Good luck

7. Audiman77

Audiman77

I've been in a shoot out with sweaty/bloody hands. The Teflon finish worked fine when I did a dry reload. People on here who have never been in a shoot out with their Glocks and had had their hands covered in blood alway say "the new finish is better when your hands are bloody". Nonsense.

8. zennashton

zennashton

Send it to Glock for a replacement.

BlackThorn likes this.
  9. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

10. Buckeye63

Buckeye63

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com

Great people to deal with ... I have had 3 Glock slides and one revolver refinished by them ...I have also visited there shop .. Very friendly and professional...

Audiman77 and Mr Wasabi like this.
  11. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi

Yeah, I just had my G33 slide and barrel done in CPII. That's the first time I've used them and even doing any sort of coating at all and I'm very impressed with what I got for $70 (Father's Day special).

Audiman77 likes this.
  12. RMKrazy

RMKrazy

What looks like holster wear and scratches on my 43's finish always seems to come right off with a quick wipedown from a Hoppe's silicone cloth.

Works for me anyway.

13. tango44

tango44

pencil eraser

14. Nimand

Nimand

Tried that didnt work. Also rubbed it w/ denatured alcohol.

Def. been thinking about this. As I dont like that finish so far but I have only had the gun 3 days and havent shot it yet.

I doubt they will replace it for this, could be wrong.

15. Nimand

Nimand

Havent tried to clean it w/ ballistol yet. Thanks for both of your replies.

16. Audiman77

Audiman77

Spray it on and let it sit for a while. Like 10 min. Then try getting it out. Hopefully it works. If not, then have it refinished if your funds will permit.

17. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Rub some oil on it, it will hide it til the next time. In the meantime get over your OCD.

Gun is tool for destruction and killing, not to impress, it should look the part. Do you polish your hammers, lawn mower or pruners?

Spallgard likes this.
  18. Audiman77

Audiman77

A lawnmower shouldn't come with scratches when u open the box. After using it of course. Not from the factory

19. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

If it bothers you that much but don't want to shell out dough for a refinish, try perma blue.

Audiman77 likes this.
  20. yfdcap

yfdcap

Pretty sure those scratches are there to stay. I would rather glock not send the brush or package things a little differently . I have had a few come in with scratches and nicks from stuff in the box. Had a new Gen4 34 in OD green come in with grip damage from the stupid brush. Heck, I think just shipping it in a plastic bag would fix 99 percent of this.

Audiman77 likes this.