Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Hilljack
2,749 Posts
I must clarify. The indoor shoot I was referring to was a GSSF indoor shoot. If it had been any other venue, then I definitely said something.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
As someone already said the RO's are volunteers. The difficult thing about a GSSF match, is that it takes a lot of RO volunteers. Many of the volunteers are trained USPSA Range Officers, however several I believe have no RO training period. They are just there trying to help out and support their range. Many of these RO's have never been to a Glock match, don't own a Glock, and don't know the rules...... Getting a 10 minute briefing in the morning is great, but they are not going to get everything memorized that quick unfortunately.

The best thing to do in a situation like this is to go inform the GSSF Rangemaster and let them correct the RO.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Re-reading my post...I can see that it would seem that I was taking a dig at some on here. That wasn't my intent. I just scanned through the posts...not really paying attention to who said what.

The point I...poorly...tried to make was that everybody should get the same chance when in competition. The shooter in the video might not be out for a match win, but he beat some people.

I am sure there was no ill intent on the part of the shooter or the RO.

It's just such an easy fix (starting everybody the same).
:rofl:

I am glad that I read this post after your previous post... since I am one of those you "seemed" to be taking a dig at (I said that I saw no real advantage). I was just offering my observations & opinion. I see you are a USPSA Section Coordinator. I have shot USPSA since 1993 & was certified as an RO by NROI for several years. I have shot GSSF since 1992 & served as a GSSF range officer for 10 years. - - So... I have seen a lot of rules followed & quite a few broken.

I agree that everyone should have the same start... & shoot by the same rules. However, GSSF matches are run more casually than USPSA to allow for a much larger number of inexperienced shooters. If a problem is serious, involves safety or would change your chance to win - by all means, bring attention to it... otherwise, anyone who expects GSSF matches to be run with extreme precision will soon wear themselves out bringing up infractions.

As it has been said, the guy in the video will have an advantage only in winning the top spot in the match (if he is very close to the top spot), so only shooters who are near the top should be seriously concerned.

Again, just my opinion; if anyone thinks it "sucks", that's OK with me & can say so right here - it will not change my life very much. - :whistling:

Steve & Ron, that goes for you, too!! :tongueout:

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
:rofl:

Steve & Ron, that goes for you, too!! :tongueout:
For me... my post #9 states my position.

To add more, as apparent by the video, he was a decent shooter but not a top level guy. I suspect the top level guys are more "considerate" of trying to follow the rules... at least I hope so!

So Noponer... like you, I figure with guys like this, it's "no harm, no foul".

·
Registered
991 Posts
As someone already said the RO's are volunteers. The difficult thing about a GSSF match, is that it takes a lot of RO volunteers. Many of the volunteers are trained USPSA Range Officers, however several I believe have no RO training period. They are just there trying to help out and support their range. Many of these RO's have never been to a Glock match, don't own a Glock, and don't know the rules...... Getting a 10 minute briefing in the morning is great, but they are not going to get everything memorized that quick unfortunately.

The best thing to do in a situation like this is to go inform the GSSF Rangemaster and let them correct the RO.

That doesn't sound like the issue.

One of the RO regulars sent me a PM. He stated that the GSSF Range Master instructed them to be lenient and "have fun". :dunno:

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I'm not sure I have much to add here.

Current rules state the "forearms touching the torso" position as noted above.

Lately I've seen Scott tell ROs that he will also accept the old "low ready" position so long as the gun is pointed about 10 feet out from the shooters position and they swing up from the shoulders, not the wrists.

In the OP video, it almost appears as though the RO doesn't care WHAT the starting position is, much less enforcing one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was an RO last weekend. As far as I know there was no "RO briefing", as least one I was told to attend. At each stage with the score sheets was the rule book. One the second to last page of that book was the starting position.

When I shot in the afternoon an RO told the competitor ahead of me to hold the gun pointing down at approx 45deg. I took out the book and showed him the rule. He was not aware nor was he told of the correct position inthe book.

It appears that an RO briefing would have been a good idea. Regardless of which start position is used it should be applied equally to all competitors at a given match. When I was working I showed the new folks the "elbows touching" position and for those who weren't in that position they were not given the start signal until assuming that position.

As for those who say "it's not going to effect how I do" you need to realize if one start position is 1/10 faster than another and you use the slow one and the guy who beat you by 1/2 second used the faster it does make a difference. 1/10 seven times is almost 1 second and that can make the difference at any level who gets a prize and who doesn't.

·
Registered
234 Posts
By the looks of this I can't believe that it flew no matter the RO. This is a sport with very clear rules. When $ or prizes is on the line then people tend to do whatever they can get away with.:dunno: Maybe this gentlemen didn't know the rules, maybe the RO didn't know the rules. Either way this would be not allowed in the other shooting disciplines. The RO or other competitors would have the string stopped. The rules would be explained again, then he'd likely get a reshoot. Considering his time wasn't all that great anyhow :shocked: I'm surprised to see the urination between fellow shooters....can't we all just get along?:rofl:

As far as stock guns...I'm all for the random gun checks! Ya'll seen what happens when I mod stuff...I can create the fastest single shots you've ever seen:crying:! Thus the reason I'm no loner shooting UL.:faint:

21 - 28 of 28 Posts