Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I don't yet have a long gun for the home but I'm preparing to purchase one. This will primarily be a home defense weapon.

I know shotguns are often recognized as the go-to firearm for home defense but I've read some pretty convincing arguments for selecting a rifle instead (larger capacity, lower recoil).

Are shotguns still king when it comes to home defense or is there an AR in my future?
Do you like people living around you?
How are you getting along with other family members?
That damn dog keeping you up at night?

Forget military assault rifles for home defense unless you live in Baghdad

Maybe with the right ammo or an MP5?
But why?
You can have a Mossberg 500 for $250 and really clean house - LOL!

·
Banned
42,101 Posts
Do you like people living around you?
How are you getting along with other family members?
That damn dog keeping you up at night?

Forget military assault rifles for home defense unless you live in Bagdad

Maybe with the right ammo or an MP5?
But why?
You can have a Mossberg 500 for $250 and really clean house - LOL!
The whole overpenetration thing has already been addressed.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
You can open a door while holding a long gun. You can keep it held one-handed if you point the muzzle down and press it into your shoulder. An AR-type weapon is technically better than a shotgun but, depending on your particular needs, may or may not be worth the extra cost, particularly if you factor in a suppressor and SBR fees.

·
Make My Day
197 Posts
There isn't much of anything of the two legged variety that a good 12g can't put down in short order. And significantly cheaper than most SD rifle offerings......

Also, there is that wonderful chick-chack sound of the shotgun that is a great audible deterrent for anyone!

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
There isn't much of anything of the two legged variety that a good 12g can't put down in short order. And significantly cheaper than most SD rifle offerings......

Also, there is that wonderful chick-chack sound of the shotgun that is a great audible deterrent for anyone!
Nothing will clear a house quicker than the sound of a 12 gauge. LOL!.

·
Registered
30,411 Posts
That might work on some unarmed amateurs but mostly it's Hollywood fiction, that could very well get you killed.

You never want to tell the BG anything. You be quiet and let the BG come to you.
So here's what you just told me.

Your location.
What you are armed with.
Your gun isn't fully loaded.
You probably aren't very good at this game since you believe I would be sacred away by you making noise.
You are probably alone, since I heard the gun but no talking.
You are probably scared, and already made a big mistake, so you will make another mistake like coming to see if I left.

At this time I would decide if what I came after is worth shooting you, or just leaving.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Doesn't want to admit to having a Hi Point.
I'll admit I've got a 995 that's dead nutz accurate with my red dot dialed in at 25 yds. One rather large ragged hole if I do my part.

Would not hesitate to grab in SD role if necessary. For those that poopoo the carbines, must not have any personal experience using one.

·
Raven
12,746 Posts
That might work on some unarmed amateurs but mostly it's Hollywood fiction, that could very well get you killed.

You never want to tell the BG anything. You be quiet and let the BG come to you.

Your location.
What you are armed with.
You probably aren't very good at this game since you believe I would be sacred away by you making noise.
You are probably scared, and already made a big mistake, so you will make another mistake like coming to see if I left.

At this time I would decide if what I came after is worth shooting you, or just leaving.

But you're not robbing his house.

If the government sends a brainwashed ex-CIA operative who 'doesn't exist' to his doorstep to infiltrate his house and terminate him, I suppose you'd be right. But if some thug looking for a quick score breaks into his house, said thug will usually run at the first good reason to, and racking a firearm is a damn good reason to.

·
Banned
42,101 Posts
I'll admit I've got a 995 that's dead nutz accurate with my red dot dialed in at 25 yds. One rather large ragged hole if I do my part.

Would not hesitate to grab in SD role if necessary. For those that poopoo the carbines, must not have any personal experience using one.
I've had two Beretta Cx4s in 9mm, and while they were a ton of fun, they're highly impractical for S/HD.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts

Your location.
What you are armed with.

You're in my house I hope.
You're not only dead but entertaining too!

·
Banned
780 Posts
Shotgun - you aren't holding off zombies - a shotgun with 4-5 rounds is more than enough and you can easily extend a Remington to as many rounds as you want - I have an 8-round magazine on one of mine. If the recoil is too much for you, you could get a 20 ga. or learn to shoot the 12 ga. correctly.
You can buy reduced recoil ammo for the 12 gauge that will kick less than a 20 gauge, if recoil is the problem.

·
Nonentity
4,472 Posts
But you're not robbing his house.

If the government sends a brainwashed ex-CIA operative who 'doesn't exist' to his doorstep to infiltrate his house and terminate him, I suppose you'd be right. But if some thug looking for a quick score breaks into his house, said thug will usually run at the first good reason to, and racking a firearm is a damn good reason to.

You can operate on the assumption that your intruders will be a bunch of strung-out, incompetent meth heads, but why do so? It's better to overestimate your opponents than underestimate them. If someone has broken into my house in the middle of the night, I already know that it's not exactly my lucky day, and I want to leave as few things to chance as possible.

·
Make My Day
197 Posts

Your location.
What you are armed with.

Personally, I think you give the average thug criminal FAR FAR to much credit for thinking about what they are doing and the environment around them. Most thugs likely have an IQ of 75, if that, not that of a sophisticated operator or SEAL, which is what you are assuming IMO. If they are thinking that much about these things, they should also be thinking (or rethinking) their crime in the first place. But thugs don't think, which is why they're thugs. With a simple thug mentality, I think most of them know the sound of a racking gun and 99% will run not looking specifically for a gunfight or to be killed. Personally, I'd rather have them run from the simple sound of a gun than engage in a firefight. Also, knowing my location is not entirely useful information (at least at night), if they are in a dark house, which they are completely unfamiliar with and with which I am 100% familiar with. That alone is a huge deterrent.

We can all talk a big game here, but I'll wager nearly 100% of us would never want to engage in a fire exchange, particularly inside our homes. Being all sneaky and quiet almost ensures that you are going to go face to face with the idiots and that guns will be fired in order to scare away or terminate the threat, and honestly that's the last thing any of us want, unless of course we're all silent assassin hit men from the internet just looking for the next notch on the belt. Maybe that's you, but it's not me.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts