Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
No thanks to either. If I were in a stationary defensive position, maybe. If there were even the slightest chance that I'd have to move through tight, dimly lit hallways, etc.,(house clearing) then retention becomes a BIG factor. There's just to much surface area on a long gun for someone else to grab onto. Once there's a struggle for retention, all bets are off and that would be a far nastier scenario if you're up against two intruders! Just one opinion, but I'll never be convinced that anything beats a quality 357mag revolver with a barrel of 4 inches or less, for HD.

·
Gubmint Worker
1,175 Posts
Shotgun. Just too many if with a rifle. Have you heard how loud an AR is outside let alone inside?

Nothing wrong with having an AR...I do. Its my perimeter defense gun, for SHTF. The shotgun is king for bumps in the night.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you. I only have handguns at this point, and my next weapon purchased will be a shotgun. I want an AR, primarily because I think they are sweet guns, but a shotgun makes more sense to me to use for HD. I may get a 20g so that my wife can use it comfortably as well.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Rifle. I don't want to have to think about what weapon I'm grabbing at 3am. The rifle works fine for goblins breaking in the door, coyotes trying to get in the rabbit hutch, or deer out the back door while I'm fixing the morning coffee. AR carbine in 6.5 Grendel using Wolf 120gr MPT ammo. It's the most versatile weapon I've ever encountered. From 0-600 meters, if I can see it, I own it.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
870 with an 8rd mag extension with #4 buck shot will keep the Zombies away.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you live in a neighborhood with neighbors fairly close by then use a shotgun. If you're out in the country somewhere then a rifle would be my choice for the 2 legged and 4 legged vermin.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I have an AR10, AR15, AK47 and a Mossberg 590. I would feel very comfortable with either my M4 with it's Aimpoint or the Mossberg. I keep the mossberg under the bed and the M4 within reach of it. However, if I had to pick I would go with my gut and use the 9 rounds of Buckshot in my 12 Gauge. If 9 rounds of 000 can't get it done what the hell can??

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
I don't yet have a long gun for the home but I'm preparing to purchase one. This will primarily be a home defense weapon.

I know shotguns are often recognized as the go-to firearm for home defense but I've read some pretty convincing arguments for selecting a rifle instead (larger capacity, lower recoil).

Are shotguns still king when it comes to home defense or is there an AR in my future?
HD is not always at hard off the muzzle ranges. I once lived in a "shotgun house" i.e., where there was no hallway... one simply walked through one room to get to the next room. The house measured 78 feet from the front door to the back door. Nice house. At the time we used a shotgun for HD as it was what we had. However... not ideal. Now we live in a more conventional home where no shot would be more than 25 fee away. We use a Glock G-22RTF. If we did not have the Glock, we'd use a shotgun with some sort of basic 00 buckshot load. In a pinch... I'd be O.K. using some #7 1/2 birdshot loads. But I'd prefer the 00 buckshot. A AR-15 offers more of everything... capacity... power, etc. And I will admit that at times, when we were in a more rural area, my wife and I preferred a AR-15. It definitely has advantages. But in most applications, a good quality shotgun, pump or automatic, in 12 ga. w/ 00 buckshot is going to be a very good choice.

·
Raven
12,746 Posts
If you live in an apartment or have lots of other people in the house to worry about and you don't have time to devote to becomming really famillar with your weapon, you need a shotgun loaded with something like #4. Yes, #4 will kill what it hits.

If you live in your own house and your neighbors aren't 2 feet from your windows in every direction but you don't have any intention of becomming really famillar with your weapon, you need a shotgun loaded with #00.

If you live in your own house and neighbors aren't 2 feet from your windows in every direction and you intend to become proficcent with your weapon, you need an evil black rifle.

·
Go Cheese!
580 Posts
Shotgun. 9) .30 caliber balls of lead slamming into something at once should stop pretty much anything in it's tracks at closer range (house).

I don't see capacity as an issue... 9 x (4,5,6,7,8) = Much lead.

·
Slacked jawed
11,211 Posts
For me my AR is more of a fun gun and SHTF gun. If I'm pulling the AR out to defend my suburban home, its an EOTWAWKI / Zombie kind of day. I rather use a shotgun to minimize long distance overpenetration

Understand if you go blasting someone with an AR or AK in the middle of the night some of those rounds can pentrate into your neighbors home, maybe killing their kids sleeping in their bedroom. You are either going to get sued and lose all your money, maybe get criminally charged, or if its a SHTF event and law enforcement does not exist at the time, they may take out their revenge on you personally, like kill your kids or burn your house down while you sleep.

·
Nonentity
4,472 Posts
People need to understand the whole overpenetration thing with 5.56. There are good defensive 5.56 loads that are going to penetrate less drywall than 00 buck.

Both will do the job. Personally, I think an AR (preferably an SBR) with a suppressor is tough to beat. For cost effectiveness, the pump shotgun wins.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't advocate long arms for home defense use. I'm not so worried about me, but I'm worried about permanent hearing loss associated with a rifle or shotgun for my wife and children.

For home defense I'm running a large-bore pistol with a heavy, sub sonic bullet. It will serve me better in my relatively tight home than a long arm as far as mobility goes, and I'm more proficient with a handgun than a long gun, so this setup works for me.

·
Raven
12,746 Posts
For me my AR is more of a fun gun and SHTF gun. If I'm pulling the AR out to defend my suburban home, its an EOTWAWKI / Zombie kind of day. I rather use a shotgun to minimize long distance overpenetration

Understand if you go blasting someone with an AR or AK in the middle of the night some of those rounds can pentrate into your neighbors home, maybe killing their kids sleeping in their bedroom. You are either going to get sued and lose all your money, maybe get criminally charged, or if its a SHTF event and law enforcement does not exist at the time, they may take out their revenge on you personally, like kill your kids or burn your house down while you sleep.
Life is better when you live in a concrete block house (and so does everyone else). If I lived in a wooden house, I'd have it bricked. If nothing else, for noise cancelling and temperature regulation. 5.56 ain't going through my interior walls, out my concrete exterior walls, and through a neighbor's concrete walls and interior walls.

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,655 Posts
IMNSHO, several factors should be considered before purchasing either, for HD/SD.

What distances are you planning for??

How close is your nearest neighbor?? (In other words, do you live in an apartment??)

What lies beyond the expected 'zone of fire'? (Are there kids asleep in the room behind where you might confront an attacker??

What experience do you have with either platform??

There are other concerns, but, I'll stop there.

I suggest a Remington 870 in either 12 ga or 20 ga.
I also suggest either 00B or #4B, but no smaller than #6 shot for defensive/HD use.

Right now, I'm seeing the Remington 870 HD for $349 w/rebate, bringing the price to $319.99.

·
Banned
1,209 Posts
Shotgun for primary hime defense then AK47 for backup if the shotgun somehow doesn't do it.

Two is one and one is none.

iPhone 4

·
Kydex Crafter
6,953 Posts
300 Black Out suppressed ; ). 2- 28 rd mags 220 gr supersonic. Can handle multiple assailants and will penetrate a level 3 vest (which the bad guys seem to be wearing more in the commission of home invasions). Little to no recoil and very little noise running subsonic and minimal report with supersonic 150 grn bullets

·
Banned
42,101 Posts
AR for me. Defeats most body armor, no recoil, high capacity, much easier to operate one handed.

·
12,970 Posts
Softpoint defense loads in 5.56 penetrate less than pistol or shotgun (FBI proven, many years since). Yet they deliver better terminal performance. Shotgun is nothing to disregard but both certainly work.

Having fit into everything from aircraft cockpits, portapotties, vehicles, tunnels, hangars, closets, small, large and freaking huge rooms with 2-24 guys doing entries, moving around in a house is less complicated than you think with a long gun.

That said, you have no business moving around PERIOD (any gun) in the dark without serious training and a partner. One man alone in a house is a dead man. Too many angles.

As to retention......proper sling and training. If you have someone go for a grab, use force and leverage, muzzle-on and blow him off of it. This is why low ready beats high port any day. Step-back (or kneel) BLAM no more weapon retention issue. If he gets a hold of it from the side, pistol, SMG, rifle, won't matter. And you can rip a pistol out of someone's hand from the side easier than a rifle. You may lose fingers in the process, but do you think HE cares?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Guns are tools and while you CAN beat a nail with a crescent wrench, it's a poor substitute for a good hammer. Meaning of course, I'd much rather have one hand free to use a phone, open a door or hold the SOB at arms length, with the revolver held in what they used to call "bellycose". Envisioning SWAT tactics with assault rifles spewing empties all over the floor, while you're still 1/2 asleep, while an entertaining thought, is better left to movies. Conversely, if I were out in the open in some type of battle or "SHTF" scenario, the revolver would likewise be a poor substitute for an assault rifle.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts