Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
12,970 Posts
I'm in the 'either' category.

I've used a shotgun for HD use for years, because it's inexpensive and available.

i prefer an AR, because i've got a lifetime of use and 4 years of clearing buildings every single day with one in muscle memory and training.

AR wins on capacity, ease of reload and accessories (adding a light).

Shotgun wins on price.

While the ammo lasts, a shotgun is fairly easy to use. If you get into a situation requiring a reload a shotgun just switched to post-graduate-education level of complications (especially in the dark) for reloading in a hurry. One reason the military went away from tube magazines in rifles in a hurry, it takes too long, and it's easy to fumble.

Both will certainly get the job done. And while yes, a shot or two 'may' get the job done...... multiple-assailant home invasions are certainly a known occurrence, around here they tend to be more the norm, 2-3 guys working together. Me, i'll stick with a couple 30 round mags if i get that far, or a loaded pistol at the bedside if I can't take the four or five steps that would take.

·
12,970 Posts
Softpoint defense loads in 5.56 penetrate less than pistol or shotgun (FBI proven, many years since). Yet they deliver better terminal performance. Shotgun is nothing to disregard but both certainly work.

Having fit into everything from aircraft cockpits, portapotties, vehicles, tunnels, hangars, closets, small, large and freaking huge rooms with 2-24 guys doing entries, moving around in a house is less complicated than you think with a long gun.

That said, you have no business moving around PERIOD (any gun) in the dark without serious training and a partner. One man alone in a house is a dead man. Too many angles.

As to retention......proper sling and training. If you have someone go for a grab, use force and leverage, muzzle-on and blow him off of it. This is why low ready beats high port any day. Step-back (or kneel) BLAM no more weapon retention issue. If he gets a hold of it from the side, pistol, SMG, rifle, won't matter. And you can rip a pistol out of someone's hand from the side easier than a rifle. You may lose fingers in the process, but do you think HE cares?

·
12,970 Posts
Nothing will clear a house quicker than the sound of a 12 gauge. LOL!.

Never had access to hand grenades have you?

And Law.... i've seen several people shotgunned with both bird and buckshot.

While a 12ga to the chest will certainly get someone's attention, often permanently, it is never guaranteed. More than one shooting involving 2-3 rounds center mass with a shotgun have occurred because the bastard just didn't want to die.

The only absolute guaranteed single shot hit i've ever seen involved a contact shot with a 12ga slug, because the gangbanger who fired the round at that range couldn't miss and the gangbanger he shot suddenly didn't have a spine, lungs, heart, presumably kidneys or intestine.

Round #2 was apparently reflex. I was on scene within minutes and according to the paramedics he was dead before he hit the ground.

·
12,970 Posts
Having burned off a 175 round burst of 7.62 belted and a 30 round mag of 5.56 (with another 12 mags going off near simultaneously) both in concrete bunkers/hangars during exercises with blanks.....

Loud? Yup. Survivable? definitely.

·
12,970 Posts
A pistol in a standard two-handed stance (fully extended) is the same length as an AR with the stock collapsed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts