Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
69,771 Posts
I know shotguns are often recognized as the go-to firearm for home defense but I've read some pretty convincing arguments for selecting a rifle instead (larger capacity, lower recoil).
Shotgun - you aren't holding off zombies - a shotgun with 4-5 rounds is more than enough and you can easily extend a Remington to as many rounds as you want - I have an 8-round magazine on one of mine. If the recoil is too much for you, you could get a 20 ga. or learn to shoot the 12 ga. correctly.

·
NRA Life Member
69,771 Posts
Why do some people assume the shotgun is doesn't follow the rules of physics? It has been proven a 55gr soft point 5.56 round will penetrate less than 00 buck. You also have to take into account that when you miss with a shotgun, you now have 9-15 pellets flying in all directions expanding, which increases the chance for collateral damage.
You seem to be the one claiming they don't follow the rules of physics - a .33" 54 grain lead ball (using the measurements in NeverMore1701;s post) moving at a lower velocity, penetrates less than a pointed 55 grain (usually) mostly jackets bullet moving a LOT faster? Both physics, experience and tests say you are wrong. As far as flying in all directions - within your house the shotgun pellets aren't likely to expand much bigger than a softball before the group hits a wall.

More weight and more velocity means more penetration, even if the AR round was lead. Add a jacket and there's even more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts