Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't yet have a long gun for the home but I'm preparing to purchase one. This will primarily be a home defense weapon.

I know shotguns are often recognized as the go-to firearm for home defense but I've read some pretty convincing arguments for selecting a rifle instead (larger capacity, lower recoil).

Are shotguns still king when it comes to home defense or is there an AR in my future?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
As I gaze into my crystal ball I see images-- images of you with a rifle of some sort, wait, wait, the images are becoming clearer, the rifle is black (though it could be earth-colored, the light is not good), there seems to be a banana protruding out of the bottom of the gun, no wait, that seems to be a bullet-holder-thingy; now, oh no, I can see your face-- your face has upon it a maniacal grin and there is a mad light in your eyes, you seem to be laughing as you pull the trigger...enough! The image is fading...

Get the shotgun first.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Either one will serve you very well as a HD weapon with the right ammo.

Personally I prefer to use an AR because of the magazine capacity plus the low recoil. I have plenty of training under my belt with the AR, more than I have with a shotgun, plus plenty of experience with it in competition. I'm very confident with an AR, I know I can put multiple rounds on target very quickly. I also take into account that more and more BGs these days work in groups of 2-4, and I feel that the AR would be a better weapon in this situation.

As far as what AR to buy, I highly recommend BCM

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
Get both, hey someone had to say it! :cool:

Shotgun is best for HD, no question get a shotgun first.

I have two AR15s and a Mini 14, they stay in the safe, the Mossberg 590 is under the bed at night.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I am a shotgun guy so I vote for a shotgun for HD.

Nothing fancy needed, base model 870 or Mossberg is just fine. Only accessories I would add is a Surefire fore-end.

I like #4 buck for HD.

·
Useless Member
4,013 Posts
Main problem with the rifle is shoot throughs; you don't want your stray round going through a couple of the neighbors' houses. If that's something you can work around then there's no reason not to go with it.

12 or 20 gage with buckshot will ruin anyone's day in short order, if shoot throughs aren't an issue then it really comes down to preference.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Main problem with the rifle is shoot throughs; you don't want your stray round going through a couple of the neighbors' houses. If that's something you can work around then there's no reason not to go with it.

12 or 20 gage with buckshot will ruin anyone's day in short order, if shoot throughs aren't an issue then it really comes down to preference.
5.56 55gr soft-point is going to have the least over penetration (less so than 00 buck). Remember with a shotgun, you're responsible for every round down range.

An AR-15 preferable to a shotgun; a pistol is also a very good choice. You also have faster follow up shots with rifle and pistol, and generally a higher capacity.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
If you can only have one, get a Saiga 12 and convert it. Almost the same capacity as an AR with the 20 round drum, but it's a shotgun. Lots of fun to shoot too.

·
Registered
12,709 Posts
i kind of like the idea of a second barrel for my 12 gauge autoloader, shortest legal size, and a grip type short buttstock, all to make it easier to handle in the house. then i can change it back for hunting season

·
Brass Vulture
10,265 Posts
I vote for the shotgun as well as a primary home defense weapon.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
A handgun shotgun and rifle all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I'd say you need to figure out what strengths of each fit you and your needs best before you decide.

I wouldnt discount a handgun of some type.

If you have a wife and kids... a handgun might be a good choice since its a big possibility that you might need your support hand to carry or guide your loved ones and open doors and what not. A handgun can be effectively shot one handed compared to shooting a shotgun or rifle one handed.

My 2nd choice would be a basic pump shotgun simply for its ammo versatility and legendary stopping power. (the infamous one shot stop of 00-buck) Some say that is a myth but the logic of 9 shots all at once still makes sense to me either way.

·
Not Assimilated
1,668 Posts
The dirty secret of the rifle world is that you don't need a service caliber magazine fed semi-automatic rifle for self defense or any other purpose. It's always in the want category, especially at ~$500-850 to get started on an already assembled one of either the AK family or lower end AR family.

If you live in an urban or a suburban area, you'll be totally well served by an 18"-26" shotgun with the proper loads for self-defense.

·
6,997 Posts
A shotgun is one of the most powerful/devastating close range weapons.

It's also one of the most versatile, it can go from self defense to hunting with a change of ammo type and or barrel/chokes.

·
Mediocre Member
2,244 Posts
I prefer a shotgun for HD. I have a Mossberg 590. 8+1rds of 00 buck + 5 slugs on the stock. It's leaning by my bed now.

That said, I have a built LMT/Bushy/BCM 10.5" SBR AR15 that's a great HD rifle too. I use Hornady TAP 55gr in it.

You'll eventually get both :)

·
Registered
30,415 Posts
Although I have four loaded shotguns around the house................

I consider the AR the primary HD gun.

This is because my HD is out to 40 plus yards. There can be the possibility of collateral damage past about 20 yards with a shotgun using Buckshot or slugs.

And the pistols are in there somewhere.

·
Lean & Mean
15,727 Posts
Shotgun, far more flexibility with the ammo. Capacity?
Jeezzzz...if You can't finish the business with 8-9 shots of 00 You are screwed (and probably dead) anyway.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
Add me to the shotgun column.

·
NRA Life Member
68,397 Posts
I know shotguns are often recognized as the go-to firearm for home defense but I've read some pretty convincing arguments for selecting a rifle instead (larger capacity, lower recoil).
Shotgun - you aren't holding off zombies - a shotgun with 4-5 rounds is more than enough and you can easily extend a Remington to as many rounds as you want - I have an 8-round magazine on one of mine. If the recoil is too much for you, you could get a 20 ga. or learn to shoot the 12 ga. correctly.

·
12,970 Posts
I'm in the 'either' category.

I've used a shotgun for HD use for years, because it's inexpensive and available.

i prefer an AR, because i've got a lifetime of use and 4 years of clearing buildings every single day with one in muscle memory and training.

AR wins on capacity, ease of reload and accessories (adding a light).

Shotgun wins on price.

While the ammo lasts, a shotgun is fairly easy to use. If you get into a situation requiring a reload a shotgun just switched to post-graduate-education level of complications (especially in the dark) for reloading in a hurry. One reason the military went away from tube magazines in rifles in a hurry, it takes too long, and it's easy to fumble.

Both will certainly get the job done. And while yes, a shot or two 'may' get the job done...... multiple-assailant home invasions are certainly a known occurrence, around here they tend to be more the norm, 2-3 guys working together. Me, i'll stick with a couple 30 round mags if i get that far, or a loaded pistol at the bedside if I can't take the four or five steps that would take.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts