close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Longest wait ever.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by hamster, Mar 29, 2010.

1. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I'm in the middle of the longest wait ever. Waiting the 8-10 business days for my CC permit to arrive! :)

2. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

i have one of those.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

It'll come soon enough... Map out your Wally World walk while waiting. :)

Where are you located? How long have you been waiting?

4. farley45

farley45

+1.

I waited many months for mine to arrive:wow:

5. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I'm in the Greater Cleveland Ohio area. Applied last Tuesday. Luckily we are allowed to apply to any county adjacent to our own. So I applied at the county that is the fastest, and mails your permit to you. All other counties in my area take forever and make you go back to get the permit in person.

I'm also waiting for my MTAC to ship. ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  6. happy seal

happy seal

Hamster, I am afraid I have bad news. I overheard that your permit was denied! Sorry bud. :wavey:

Well,
    what's gonna be your edc?
    holster?
    wally world?
    inform leo on minor traffic stop?
    carry w/ one in the pipe?
    printing paranoid?
    these items always come up. just trying to prepare ya! LOL. :supergrin:

But then again, those answers might be better answered in carry issues.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  7. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

hahah don't scare me!

Well my CCW will be Glock 26. Wally world for sure! The day I get my permit. Inform LEO? You bettcha... around here it is required. We even have to notify we are CC holders even if we aren't armed.

I probably won't carry one in the pipe initially because I'm afraid I'll shoot myself in the foot Barney Fife style. Once I have had a chance to take an advanced CCW class and have more experience, I'll probably switch to carrying one in the pipe.

Unfortunately since restaurants with liquor permits are off limits here in Ohio my carry will not be everywhere nor everyday. I really want my permit more for the principle of it and to support the cause.

8. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

8-10 days? Mine took about 18 weeks.

9. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Well they told me 8-10 days. We'll see how long it actually takes.

10. jensen_lover

jensen_lover

They told me five months if I was lucky. That was a month and a half ago. The wait is killing me.

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Here's some advice on how I broke myself of this fear. I carried unchambered, for about a week, week and a half. Every night when I came home, I'd check my Glock's trigger. If the trigger doesn't move, the gun can't fire.

Make sure your holster will cover the trigger(and the one you have ordered will), and you'll be fine.

The problem "I" have w/ carrying unchambered, is really two-fold. One, obviously it's gonna be more difficult to get into action should you need it... "Israeli draw, etc.." blah blah blah. Second, it simply encourages poor gun handling/safety. You "know" its unloaded, so you might do something you wouldn't normally do..

I point to this idiot as my case in point... http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=92836

He says later in the thread, he's been safely handling guns for 20yrs, but does something that blatantly stupid? I think this is just the first time he wasn't lucky. You don't do stupid crap like that when its not formed out of habit.

IGF

12. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Thanks. I'll definitely do that to gain confidence.

I treat all guns as loaded and ready to shoot at all times. Even when loaded with snapcaps, I never point at something that I don't want to destroy and
    that doesn't have a safe backdrop.

I'm not in the habit of pulling the trigger willy nilly, I'm more worried about the pistol slipping and catching on some clothing as I sit down or get up.

Until I feel comfortable with my particular setup, I think the Israeli carry option is better than no pistol, especially with the goal of eventually carrying one in the chamber. I'm sure I'll adjust quickly and gain comfort level.

I guess I just need a little bit of time to get my "Sea legs."

13. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

yeah mine was 45 days , and it was a real hassle to get and go through all the crap to get it.

14. okie

okie GT Mayor

Been there done that, try to put it out of your mind my friend:angel:

15. mr smithglock

mr smithglock

it will go fast.. may i ask whats all this wally world talk?? do you just walk around wal mart strapped or something?

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

but Okie, you carry 1911's... According to Barbara Boxer they have automatic hair triggers that are simply waiting to spit fire and death at the slightest irregularity.. (ok, maybe I embellished that quite a bit.. :)).

hamster, I've taken an unloaded gun, and done everything possible to try and get the trigger to pull while holstering(shoving t-shirts, drawstrings, etc..in the holster) and I've never gotten the trigger to move...

Now thats not to say the planets couldn't align and it happen to you, but I've determined it to be a statistical improbability.

IGF

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yeah, pretty much. When you first start to carry a gun, Wal Mart is a good place to go. Lots of people, etc.. where you can get comfortable carrying around people.. Believe it or not, it makes a lot of people very nervous. It's really not a big deal once you've done it a bit...

[​IMG]

18. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Well folks, it came in today!! Right on time.

19. happy seal

happy seal

Holster????
    I have a G27. Once you get a carry holster. UNLOAD FIREARM. pull slide back to set trigger and carry all day UNLOADED. At the end of the day aim safe place and pull trigger. I promise the trigger will pull 5.5 pounds and release. They just wont go off unless clothing gets stuck in guard while holstering. Anyway it's a you thing to carry chambered, nobody elses. Sounds like your doing good and have good plans. LOL! sorry Indy, didn't read enough but good advise. Congrats Hamsty.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm convinced this is something that someone dreamed up at some point. I've taken my unloaded Glock 23, and have done everything possible to make shirts, jacket strings, etc.. pull the trigger, and it has never happened.

Only way I've ever got the trigger to move, was wearing a way to big shirt, cigarette rolled one corner, shoved it through the trigger guard, and tried to holster the gun. The gun still wouldn't holster all the way however,

Bottom line, pay attention while holstering, and if it doesn't feel right when you're inserting the gun, look and see why. Use a holster that completely covers the trigger, and you'll be fine. Most accidents that occur while holstering a firearm, are because the idiot holstering the gun lost track of his booger hook.

IGF