Longer sight radius help accuracy? Target shooting.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MeatGrinder, Feb 15, 2010.

1. MeatGrinder

MeatGrinder

I carry a G27. I'm considering a full size for the longer sight radius. I'm not going to carry it.
    For the guys that own both: How much does the longer sight radius help your groups at 25 yards?
    Any way to improve a Glock trigger pull? Make it smoother and lighter?

2. scprotector1

scprotector1 LoneStarGlocker

Longer sight radius helps and so does a longer barrel unless your Hickok45, shooting alot will make a glocks trigger smoother, or you can buy a 3.5 connector! Why not just get a glock 23 or 19 its the best of everything?

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

My range goes out to 16 yards (approx 50ft). The type of sights on the gun, and the "weight" of the trigger (the actual connector) are a far bigger factor than the actual Glock I am using. G26/G17/G34 - mostly the same shooting, except I have really blocky sights on the G26 so I have to concentrate oh-so much more to make the shot.

But aside from that, I can punch 4" groups on papere at that distance with any Glock.

'Drew

4. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

[​IMG]

Buy the one with a "-"

5. minkis18

minkis18

longer sight radius does seem to help, at the very least, to speed up target alignment. However a different length Glock might mess you up at first due to the balance discrepancies. My 35 was front-heavy enough to notice even with a fully loaded magazine.

I do plan on getting a 17 eventually with a custom slide lightened similarly to the 34. I saw a company a while ago that would custom do it but I can't remember who now. I even saw one with a half-deep pocket milled into the slide behind the ejection port. It was rather nice!

6. Spike32

Spike32

Makes a big difference if you are strictly shooting targets and time is a factor. The longer sight radius and heavier slide and barrel makes for quicker target acquisition. I shoot the G34 much better than the G33 (with a 9mm barrel) for GSSF or IDPA type shooting. For SD it's the G33 hands down, as I can deploy it faster and it conceals better.

7. MeatGrinder

MeatGrinder

What group is a full size Glock capable of shooting at 50 yds? Off the bench or in a rest.
    I like the 3.5 lb connector suggestion.

Isn't there someone out there that can actually say they've compared a mini Glock to a full size for accuracy?
    Like: "I can shoot a 4" group with my G27, and a 2" group with my G22".

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I have more than "a few" Glocks, and shoot them regularly enough. Everything I've said in my initial post stands. For bullseye shooting out to 25 yards, there is scant difference in accuracy attributed to longer sight radius.

'Drew

9. NightSleeper

NightSleeper

I don't have grouping info for you, but the first time I shot my Glock 35 after owning a Glock 22 for a couple of years, I was amazed. My accuracy was better than anything I was expecting. The longer sight radius and barrel make a heck of a difference. Plus the Glock 35 isn't as 'snappy' as the G22 due to the added weight which helps with follow-up.

10. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

The site radius aside, the shorter the gun, the more that trigger control issues will affect your groups. The better a person's trigger control, the closer their results with the G-27 will be to their results with a bigger Glock. This is the case with every type of pistol I have ever shot. The G-27 is a compromise for concealability.

There is no doubt that the G-27 is more concealable than say a G-17, but I do not find the G-27 a pleasant gun to shoot and it is hard for me to group well with it. For controlability and accuracy, I would chose a G19 or G-23, which isn't a lot harder to conceal than a G-27. Hell, most people I know that own a G-27 put a plus 1, or other type of grip extension on it, giving it pretty much the same grip profile anyway. Grip length is much more important to the concealability of a pistol than slide length.

Anyway, if you want to put nice groups on the paper at 25 yds, the G-27 will never be the best choice. Something that is universal doesn't do anything well and the G-27 wasn't designed to be a target pistol. Personally, I find the G21 to be by far the most accurate of all the Glocks, at least in my hand. I like the weight of the weapon and the recoil impulse of the .45ACP. Any of the mid or full-sized Glocks will give you better results than a G-27, IMO. Eric