close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Long time Glocker thats been away...what are the problems with new glocks?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Cool Hand Hodge, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Cool Hand Hodge

Cool Hand Hodge Senior Member

As you guys can see from my join date i have been a member here for a long time. I have not posted in several years however as other interests have taken precedence. Not to say i dont still love my Glocks...I carry a Glock every day and still competitively shoot with them. I have been out of the loop however with thier changes and upon my return i have noticed a lot of people saying that older Glocks were better and the new ones have problems. What is the difference in the Gen 4 guns vs. the Gen 3? What are the common problems and fixes? Is Glock really going down the ****ter? Not trying to start a war, i just need to get back up to speed.

I have owned just about every top end modern handgun made and have always considered Glocks to be the best of the best. What has happened or are they still the pinnacle?

2. hsprincipal

hsprincipal

All my gen4s run flawlessly.

3. Cool Hand Hodge

good to hear...what are the reported issues and common complaints?

4. PAGunner

PAGunner

Brass to the face,'it is a major problem. Many will tell you about their "flawless" glocks, but don't believe the hype. Erratic ejection is a real issue, glock started cutting corners on their guns, sad but true.

5. Cool Hand Hodge

hmm...my Gen 2 and Gen 3 guns dont do this at all. What is the cause? I dont see how they could cut corners on the design as it looks pretty easy and cheap to make. Did they redesign something?

6. hsprincipal

hsprincipal

To date mine have been flawless. No brass to the face and no other issues with reliability, etc..... Maybe the many you speak of don't have issues and only a few do..... Does this mean we should all sale our Glocks and buy other brands... Or that Glocks are junk? I believe there is more hype behind the problems than there is with flawless Glocks....

7. PAGunner

PAGunner

My gen3 looks like a champ as well, it's well known glock changed it's extractor and the method in making it a few years back, "ironically" at around same time the erratic ejections started, new RSA and possibly other design changes with gen4s seems to have made problems worse, although some gen3s still show problems as well.

8. PAGunner

PAGunner

Believe and you'd like, the issue is real. Glad to hear your glocks are "flawless", many other's have thought theirs "flawless" not noticing that it was ejecting erratically until it became really problematic. Others noticed erratic ejection, but still consider them "flawless". I've yet to see a Gen4 that doesn't at least occasionally spit erratic ejections, at least 1 every 2-3 mags, those are the ones that run good, with most that see high round counts developing problems. 45 gen4 glocks being the exception.

Maybe you are lucky and don't have those problems, I'd consider playing powerball tonight with your luck.

9. Cool Hand Hodge

relax

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  10. Stang_Man

Stang_Man

My Gen 4 G22 is still shooting just fine at 500 rounds, with no rounds to the face.

It'll get another 1,000 rounds or so within the next week.

11. bunk22

bunk22

My Gen 3 G19 would throw brass to the face, had weak and erratic ejection. Only had 3 failures in 3000 or so rounds though. I fixed the brass to the face but was never able to fix the weak and erratic ejection......but.....that was probably only 5-10% of the brass. Most of it went where it was supposed to. As for my Gen 4's, I have around 500 rounds through each with hardly any brass to the face, 3 total in 1000 for both guns and no erratic or weak ejection. My Gen 3 G17 has some weak ejection but it's probably only 2-3%, haven't had any erratic or brass to the face with it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  12. hsprincipal

hsprincipal

I am relaxed.... :cool:

13. DocWills

DocWills

Greatly exaggerated, brass to the face mostly. I tested a g4 17 that threw 3 to the left with light ammo. Same gun tossed it high right with 147 grain. Glock needs to make two grades of gun, one for range plionkers and one for the serious stuff. They are oversprung seriously so glock can save a buck on the compatibility of springs.

They ought to sell them now with a spring kit and dismountable guide rod.

SAAMI needs to increase the standard for 9 mil

14. di11igaf

di11igaf ibew

What about one that with +p or NATO every mag rounds eject both forward and/or to the left. Every mag. Normal?

15. 125K9

125K9

You get "two for one" that way! You can hit the target once with the fired round and then once with the ejected round. Very economical that way.
    Seriously, if my pistol ejects the round out of my way, without hitting me in the face or head, then all's well.

16. Cool Hand Hodge

Seems kind of odd to me. I have 6 Glocks, 5 of which are 3rd gen guns, newest purchased in 09. I have had 0 problems with any of them. I also have a Beretta, 3 HKs, a Sig and a couple of 1911s and various other autos with zero issues. If Ruger can make a auto that functions with all loads, why cant Glock? If this is really an issue with 4th gen guns, why not just revert to the older style?

Not flaming just honestly wondering what the issue is

17. di11igaf

di11igaf ibew

Just sayin, if a gun is ejecting to left brass is bouncing around in the chamber, stovepipe waiting to happen

18. SpeedyG17

SpeedyG17

I have both a late Gen 3 17 and 19, both of which have around 1200 rounds through them. I have only experienced BTF twice so far with each gun. The occasional BTF does not bother me. 1/600 chance I might experience BTF. I'll take it.

19. GlockamoJoe

GlockamoJoe

I too have been a member here for awhile. Like you I haven't been around much. Work now authorizes 9mm Glocks as a duty weapon. We have a short list of approved pistols. So I. Get a gen4 19 that smacks my glasses with a 124 grain Federal HST. Definitely not a plonking round. I tried several other types of ammo all gave me some problem. So I am currently trying all of the fixes out there. Until I get it to eject as designed In the intern I carry a two pin gen3 19.
    I did buy a new gen3 that was throwing brass to my face and head. I called Glock they sent me a 30274 ejector. It lowered the amount to my head. So I called them back and they sent me a label to send it back. I hope they get it fixed. I must say they were easy to deal with. It could be cause I have been an armorer for awhile or I am LE or just cause I got the right rep on the phone but I can't complain about their customer service.
    I do think some of them have problems. I don't think they all a doomed but I got two that are. Lucky for me I have an old one to use until it works out. Also I am lucky to be in the position to be able to try all the different fixes. I hope it all gets worked out.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

20. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

I would never come on here and say that there are no issues, but it seems you're on the opposite extreme of the spectrum. There are Gen 4 guns that have no issues, I own 2 of them, and they have more that a box of ammo through them.

We get it, you had issues with your Glocks, sorry to hear, but that doesn't mean no one else can have a Glock that operates properly just because YOU didn't.

:wavey: