close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Long term wear on Glock 20

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MTMilitiaman, Jul 23, 2004.

1. MTMilitiaman

MTMilitiaman

I've been contemplating the purchase of a Glock 20 for use as a combination self defense/trail use pistol, and to add a 10mm Auto to my admittedly limited collection. I have become intrigued by the 10mm Auto and as near as I can tell, the Glock 20 offers one of the best platforms from which to launch it that is currently available. However, I have some minor concerns:

1. I am concerned of the safety and wear caused by long term useage of original spec loads, esp in relation to the well publicized unsupported chamber. I have also heard that this can limit case life by causing excessive expansion around the head area. I wanted to know if this is a valid concern. On another post, someone mentioned aftermarket barrels with better support--is this a possible solution?

2. How difficult is it to find and install an extended slide release? I shoot left-handed and noticed when handling the Glock 20 in a store that the stock slide release was rather small, and while adequate, I believe I would quickly look into replacing it with something a little larger and easier to manipulate.

Thanks

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

MT,
    I have only maybe 1500 rounds thru my 20 but from what I understand an aftermarket barrel is the way to go if you reload, stock barrel is more than adequate for factory ammo.
    Contact Jerry he is a good guy who knows how to treat his customers.
    user name is 5532jwk here on GT. An extened slide release takes about 5 mins to install (field strip then remove bottom pin above trigger)

Grab a 20 you wont be sorry!! ;c

3. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

1) I've yet to hear about someone who wore out a GLock, 10mm or otherwise. Most people plumb the depths of their ammo budgets and range time limitations before they find the extent of their Glock's durrability. If you're worried about case support, just get an aftermarket barrel and forget about it.

2)As G20man said. Its an easily replaced cheep part. In terms of technical difficulty its actually harder to field strip the pistol than it is to change the slide release.

Also, I'm a lefty and dont feel any need for an extended release. The release is only used for administrative functions and it plenty big for that purpose.

4. Rigormootis

Rigormootis Semper Gumby

I think I read that MCNETT has over 27,000 rounds on one of his G20s...and it's still going strong. The factory barrel is safe to push this far, it's just that the life of your brass will be much shorter and you *may* rupture some cases if 1) you are using cheap brass and 2) you are hsooting VERY hot loads. That said, just pick up an aftermarket barrel & have fun. :)

5. noway

noway

Both of my G20s have numerous miles and are just about 10yrs old. Guess what, nothing has worn out yet.

I did break a trigger spring , from me not knowing what I was doing. But the simple changing or mag springs and recoil-springs , has kept my gun almost 100% faultless.

I shoot everything from factory ammo, handload, and fbi-lite to norma spec ammo and my gun is still ticking.

Glocks are built like a tank and will keeping going on on on on on....I actually had the luxury a few days ago to field strip a mid 80s G17 with smoth grip. The owner bought his when they first came out. His 9mm just like 10mms haven't never experience a breakdown or "worn out".

6. Belgian Blue

Belgian Blue

Out of the box, GLOCKs aren't normally known for their looks or match grade triggers... HOWEVER, longevity are perhaps their greatest virtue. When I first bought my 2nd. Gen G22, I was a little leary of a "Plastic" framed pistol. I thought since I found one at a great price, I'd shoot it untill it wore out. Well guess what, it NEVER wore out. Thousands of .40 ammo down range, and it's just as accurate and reliable as it was when new.

Another thing, the Tenifer finish has set a standard which SIG, HK, and the rest have yet to match. You'd be hard pressed to wear out a GLOCK.

Regarding HOT loads & reloading used brass: I have stuck with new factory ammo in my .40 and I've had no issues through my stock pistol. I recently purchased a G20, and this is to be my "Super-Fun" gun, so I ordered a KKM barrel and a captured Tungsten guide rod with a 22lb. recoil spring, +10% magazine springs and a factory extended slide stop. I'm planning on a nearly exclusive diet of Double-Taps. I haven't had it to the range yet, as I'm still waiting for my new guide rod & spring. I have little doubt it will deliver the performance I'm looking for.

Later on, I'm planning to get both a .357 and .40 conversion barrel from KKM. I'm also thinking of a Vanek Trigger and a fiber-optic front sight too. This G20 is really stealing time away from my SIGs & HKs!!!

One more thing, I highly recommend the GLOCK factory extended slide stop. Easy to install and is the perfect size IMO. I did have to remove a minor rough edge with some emery cloth on the inside of the thumb extension, as it was grabbing the inside of my BOYT pistol rug...

Get that G20, load 'er up and have a BLAST!!! (Literally)

Belgian Blue