Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Long Term Care - A Little Used VA Benefit

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by dglockster, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. dglockster


    Likes Received:
    Sep 19, 2001
    If you are a vet or the spouse of a vet who served during wartime, even if not in combat, and you are in need of long term care, you should investigate the following:

    Veteran’s Long Term Care Information

    Aid and Attendance Pension Benefit Plan

    Qualifiars (as of 2006): (1) Veterans must have served in wartime (though they didn’t have to see combat), (2) show a financial need by demonstrating expenses exceed their income(have no more than $80,000 in assets, which can be transferred to others with no penalty or restrictions – not counting home, car, and personal possessions), and (3) prove they cannot live by themselves. Also applies to surviving spouse who has not remarried.

    Required Documents:
    DD-214 (or other proof of honorable discharge).
    Physician’s written evaluation stating that the veteran cannot live alone.

    Applications take four to six months to process.

    Benefits are retroactive to date of application.

    Department of Veterans Affairs
  2. DriBak

    DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

    Likes Received:
    Jul 4, 1999
    West Texas
    Good post, I have a home health client using this benefit, I'm in the business and also a Veteran and was not aware of this benefit.

  3. 82ndAbn

    82ndAbn 325th AIR

    Likes Received:
    Dec 8, 2002
    Outstanding. I will qualify for this when I near my transplant date. I'm getting a new liver through the VA.
  4. Marine8541

    Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

    Likes Received:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Littleton, Colorado
    This post is confused. The Aid & Attendance Allowance pertains to: An additional benefit paid to veterans, their spouses, surviving spouses and parents. This allowance is paid in all Compensation, DIC and Pension Programs. It is paid based on the need of aid and attendance by another person or by specific disability. Special Monthly Compensation (L) can at times be designated an aid & attendance benefit. To recieve special monthly comp you must already recieve compensation.
    All laws and guidelines exist for monthly comp and special comp for service connection. here is the criteria for special comp

    There are several levels of Non-Institutional Care including Home-Based Primary Care, Contract Home Health Care, Adult Day Health Care,
    Homemaker and Home Health Aide, Community Residential Care, Respite Care, Home Hospice Care, to name a some.

    You must be enrolled and must still meet eligibility under one of the eight priority groups.

    ETA please contact your local VA reps, service officers and request and read your bene's book.

    And a little known bene.... over 40% of the entire VA budget is LTHC so it is one of the most used.