Long-tailed Giant Ichneumon Wasp

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Aug 18, 2019.

1. nursetim

nursetim

The assassin battle also carries Changas disease, a nasty bit of business. I believe it’s also called the kissing beetle because it targets the area around you mouth.

2. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

3. mikeivan

mikeivan

Never seen a Long-tailed Giant, but these Red Wasps are common in Texas. Dangerous around their nests:
    GT2A7781 dl_filt POTN.jpg

4. flyover

flyover

We have these little sob's. Some call them paper wasps, others call them yellow jackets.

[​IMG]

ZekerMan, FullClip, ZX14R and 2 others like this.
  5. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

I was driving down the road in my jeep with the top down and i managed to get a yellow jacket to fly into my tshirt sleeve and sting me in the armpit. I thought i was gonna go off the road,jeez that’s a tender spot. :fist:

ZekerMan, DJ Niner, FullClip and 2 others like this.
  6. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Don't mess with these little darlings. They go about their business and are fun to watch. Get too close or threaten one, and there is usually just one, and you'll regret it.
    I leave them alone, took the advice a long time ago, but had the pleasure of seeing a few Jackwagons learn a painful lesson. I'll leave them be after that. LOL

FullClip and Badazuwanme2b like this.
  7. sas-G19

sas-G19

B:

Sweet mother of mercy, was that thing in KY?
    I have never ever seen anything like that here, and hope not to.
    -steve

8. Padre

Padre

Last year I was leaving the house and let the back door slam. Those little bas...ds had a nest hanging down from the eve. When I came back in one got me on the inner arm. Thought it was a glancing blow.
    Came into the house and took a Benedryl (like I always did). Sat down for a few and then started to feel my throat tightening up. Told the wife "lets get to the Dr's office (knowing that EMS would take forever (live in the country). Called ahead and they said to come straight back.
    When we got to the back I told the Doc that my back was itching like heck. Pulled up my shirt and had hives (big ones) from my neck down to my butt. He jabbed a needle into my butt (steroid shot) and said you're going to the ER, but not by personal vehicle, ambulance will be here in a couple. Ambulance picked me up....took me to ER where they put in an IV with Benedryl and a prescription for an EpiPen. Now have to carry that with me wherever I go.
    Used to be a "live and let live" with nature. Now with those red wasps...nuke them from space, kill them with fire....chemical weapons...I DON'T CARE!!!!!
    <Padre>

9. Blanton

Blanton

Nat Geo or PBS had an unusual insect segment that actually showed how this critter works. Yes, very fascinating.

FullClip likes this.
  10. Dynactus

Dynactus

Those things are all over the place down here. Tough as hell too. I've stepped on them as hard as I can and they just keep going. Took out my pocket knife and cut it in half. Both halves crawled off. If you see one, do not try to pet it.

ZekerMan and FullClip like this.
  11. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

Yep! All over the place in West Texas. Got bit as a kid. Dang that hurt. I am not a fan of Yellow Jackets, and take them out when I see them. They got my dog on the nose once, too. She didn't care for it either. The dang things are ultra aggressive, and tend to attack in waves, if it is a big nest. Water on the nests(It falls apart), and spray for the Yellow Jackets. Spray the nest first, at night when all have come back to the nest to rest. Be accurate w/ the spray, and you will get most of them. Fall back weapon if you miss and make them mad: Bad-mitten racket. Cuts them into small square chunks. Tennis racket will suffice, Bad-mitten racket better because lighter and you can change swing easily.

ZekerMan and orangejeep06 like this.
  12. nrajeff

nrajeff

Then there's that little tropical animal that guys, if they are smart, will avoid while swimming, because the critter can allegedly swim up the tube that's only designed for passing your favorite beverage through.

13. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

Sorry. Was talking about these little flying Kamakazi's

ZekerMan, flyover and FullClip like this.
  14. flyover

flyover

Starting fluid and a match!

ZekerMan and FullClip like this.
  15. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Not a good idea when the nest is under your deck and you ain't raked up the old dead leaves in years....don't ask me how I know..

16. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I saw and photographed one of those Giant Ichneumon Wasps last year (different color; different sub-species?). It was the first time I'd ever seen one, and when it came floating over my shoulder and landed nearby, I was amazed at the size of it (6"). Here's the photo (click pic to embiggen):

GiantIchneumonWasp.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    FullClip likes this.
  17. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

I kept more than one of these as pets as a kid. Terrarium with sand. IIRC they would burrow down and hide often. Fed them moistened chicken feed. Still vividly remember their distinct musky odor.

Even remembered the genus and species
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynastes_tityus

Grabbrass likes this.
  18. Adjuster

Adjuster

I have been bitten by a grasshopper and by a praying mantis. Both very painful.

/