close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Long Range Tactical Rifles: What do you use them for?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Isaiah1412, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

I've seen in a few threads that a number of people have tactical or sniper style rifles and I'm wondering why? I understand the use such weapons have in a police and military roles, but given the amount of training needed to make reliable shots at the distances many of these guns can reach, I guess I don't see the "point" in a civilian context.

Don't get me wrong, they're all cool guns (I'd probably have one if I had the cash) and if they don't have any other role than the personal challenge of punching holes in targets at the longest range possible, that's cool. I am just curious if I am over-looking some other application.

2. Lothar

Lothar Noob

i'd rather be 500-800 yards away if SHTF. and the training needed is not as much as one might think... there is all kinds of great software to get your ballistics figured out.

3. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

What is the point of your Glock, assuming you have one?

4. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

varminting, hog hunting etc.

5. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

Most of these "Tactical Rifles" are nothing more than bolt action hunting guns, a Tasco 3-12X variable scope and Harris bipod. They are "hunting guns" til they hit the GT board then they get affixed the "Tactical" stamp. :rofl:

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Uh,.......shooting long range tactically?:whistling:

7. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Rock or Suck?

The journey to one thousand yards holds as much interest for some, as arriving there.

8. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Self defense at court plausible "I was in fear of my life" ranges. :)

9. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Ever try and stalk a coyote?It cant be done,its probably watching you long before you see it run across a field some 400 yards off.These animals are fast becoming a real problem here.

Groundhogs are even better.They get up on a hill overlook and can see you coming through the field,way off.Sometimes,its absolutely a fact that a good scope and long range rifle are needed to get them.Prarie dogs? lol another long range varmit.

Theres nothing "tactical" about any of my varmiters.Just a scope,bolt action(though I use a semiauto on occasion too), and a good case of kentucky windage.lol.doping the wind so to speak.

10. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

if civilians are using these "tactical" rifles, there probably isn't a court to worry about anymore.

11. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Then, please explain, your sig line. ;)

12. Anglowulf

Anglowulf

Someone mentioned the journey being as fun as the ability to do it. I am greatly interested in long range shooting. I am prepping for one, as my arsenal is all short to mid range. Looking at the Savage line very seriously. This gets me into reloading as well.

As far as why? Well, northern plains hunting, those guys can shoot. 500 to 800+ yard kills, just amazing.

I doubt it would ever happen, but if you were urgently called to arms, as in right now, would you rather be in a pile of other guys looking for ied's and clearing houses? Or would you and your spotter rather have "some" control over your own fates and the direction of a war? Nothing wrong with either, but the answer has "Tactical" at one end of the spectrum, and "Strategic" at the other.

13. hatidua

hatidua

The first ten rounds I put through my TRG put a big smile on my face - it makes putting holes right next to each other, WAY OUT THERE, relatively easy. For me, that's fun. I don't need any more justification than "I'm having a good time".

Some people shoot sporting clays, some shoot bullseye, some are into benchrest, etc. Just because one person doesn't pursue a given discipline within shooting doesn't make the activity pointless to someone else.

14. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Not to be a *****, but that is a stupid question. You don't NEED a reason to own a particular gun, you can own one because you WANT to. :dunno:

That being said, any hunting rifle could be used as a "tactical" rifle and vise-versa.

15. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Alibi at court plausible "I wasn't even near there" ranges :whistling:

16. BEER

BEER bad example

because we can, and that's all the reason or justification we need.

17. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

A fact I well understand (if you read my post). You DON'T need a reason to own one. I was simply trying to find out what the people who DO own them use them for, besides punching holes in paper for fun.

Apparently shooting annoying animals with highly developed survival skills is high on the list, which is not something I'd considered since I don't encounter such beasts in suburban MD.

18. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

OK, who let the liberal in...........:supergrin:

19. Anglowulf

Anglowulf

20. A6Gator

A6Gator