Long range precision

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by RWBlue, Feb 25, 2020.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Anyone into long range precision shooting?

I am looking for a group to learn from.

10or45 likes this.
  2. MoreMonkeyThanMan

MoreMonkeyThanMan

PEC-Memphis likes this.

3. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

Depends upon your definition of long range. I regularly shoot with a buddy who does a lot of 1,000 yard plus shooting, and I have used his rifle in .308 at 600-800 yards for fun. My own rifle is a .223 so I usually keep it to 500 yards or under although it is capable of more just because mine isn't very potent beyond that distance.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  4. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Kinda...long range precision for me is 200 yards.

Rellik, 10or45 and rock_castle like this.
  5. First shot

First shot

After this thread runs awhile I’m pretty sure you’ll get some good advice...I’ve read posts and replies from some awesome shooters with awesome rifles here... sometimes it just takes a while, but they’re here...

6. hardluk1

hardluk1

Try to research ranges in your area that have long range matches , start learning by asking question and watching what others use and perhaps join a club .

7. RWBlue

I am shooting my 22LR at 300 yards.
    I don't generally have access to ranges longer than this, but when I do, I want to have something I have already dialed in, with my range data and just pull it out and go. Although I have other items, I don't think they are correct for what i am looking to do.

So, I am at the point of wanting to find a forum to see what other people are using. I already have my own ideas and I don't want to pollute this thread with my ideas.

8. fx77

fx77 CLM

Grumpy_old_man and nikerret like this.
  9. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

After you learn all the "theory" you can, (best rifle, best scope, best ammo) then you need to put those theories into practice and find a range where you can shoot out to at least 800 yards and then do a lot of shooting.

And for that, you'll need to learn to reload having spent the majority of your money (Unless you're rich) on the rifle and scope. I'd recommend 6.5 Creedmoor for the caliber and a Savage 110 rifle with a fairly long heavy barrel for best out of the box accuracy of a factory rifle and a Vortex scope. You can pick up a Savage Arms 110 Tactical with a 24 inch heavy barrel and the accu-trigger and accu-stock for $567 at Buds guns and spend the rest of your initial investment on a the scope.

Keep in mind, too, that you can always upgrade both the rifle and the scope but most people don't exceed the capabilities of their equipment until they've had years of experience.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...s+110+tactical,+65+crd+24"+threaded+barrel+bl

Deltic, byf43 and China boy like this.
  10. hardluk1

hardluk1

rogn likes this.
  11. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

Regarding equipment, I agree. For an entry level precision rifle that won't break the bank, a Savage is a great rifle and Vortex makes good optics. My .223 is a Savage 12 FV and a Vortex scope is what is on it. Neither are top of the line, but I don't believe either can be beat in terms of performance for the money.

I would also check out one of the forums specifically dedicated to precision shooting. 300 yards with a .22lr is impressive assuming that you are making decent groups at that range. I would imagine that you would do quite well with a bit of instruction and a good centerfire rifle rig.

Good luck to you, sir. There are few things more satisfying than printing tiny groups from long range with a good rifle. It will take the desire to blast a ton of ammo through some common firearm right out of you as you repeatedly challenge yourself to make smaller, and smaller groups... One round at a time.

12. ede

ede

I've just started shooting at 200 and 300 yards. Broke a firing pin and put a stop to things for a while. Hope to have replacement pin here by the weekend.

13. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Yes, a good start is to get his book.

Keep in mind, there are a lot of flavors of LR/HP shooting.

The 600 yard light BR (also holds record for heavy BR in same round) world record was set in Memphis (really near Memphis, Lakeland) at MSSA. Winds 12-15 mph value. 0.04 MOA !!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleckner is more of a LR "tactical" shooter, based on his experience.

Then read some of the Brian Litz books.

Deltic likes this.
  14. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Best value in PRS rifle, Tikka T3x TACT A1. Around $1800. You'd have to go to $4.5-5K to get a marked improvement. If you are serious, get an optic that you can use on better, and better rifles. Also, keep in mind that different optics are better for better disciplines in LR shooting.

[​IMG]

15. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I have a Remington 700PSS in .308 with a Burris XTRii 4-20 scope. I git it for a LE sniper class I thought would be fun. The class took us to 600 yards. I went from mediocre to shooting 100% on the shooting final. Loved it, but haven’t been able to keep up on it, like I want to.

Grumpy_old_man likes this.
  16. RWBlue

i am not really entry level. On the other hand, I don't get to play very often at the distances I want to.

As far as group size there are days I think I am a god and there are days with a little gusting wind that I can hit the broad side of a barn.
    When I can't hit the broad side of a barn, I pull out a center fire rig and it is boring again.
    When someone tells me they shoot long distance, I ask them about hang time. Anyone making hits on targets with over a second of hang time has skills.

Now I want to put it to a 2 second hang time.

byf43 likes this.
  17. es 350

es 350

Sounds like you have a good idea of whats going on, rimfire (22 Lr) @ 300 yds is good practice and equal to centerfire at longer range .
    Short range (out to 150 yds) with a spring piston pellet rifle is also good practice at less $$ than even 22 lr.

You dont have to spend big money to play at long range .
    I have/had several (cheap/300$ )savage rifles (mentioned above) that are plent precise to shoot over 1000 yds with "good" ammo.
    Even the 22 250 with 53 gr bullets will work to 900-1000 yds. Heavier , higher b.c. bullets are an advantage especially in the wind as you already know.
    Last summer i had the most fun i ever had out to 1000 yds with An AR 15 chambered in 223 Wylde/ 10x SWFA shooting 75 and 80 gr handloads.

As far as optics, you NEED accurate and repeatable turrets regardless of brand or amount spent. I have 4 or 5 SWFA brand scopes and will buy no other......
    Have 4 Vortex i need to send in..perferably for a refund........

The SWFA turret s are amazing(per $ spent) have well over 100 moa of travel which unless shooting ELR is more than you will need even without a canted scope base.

Wind and your ability to read it ......is BIGGEST factor in accurate/precise long range shooting....this is where "doing " is better than any book , instruction or equipment. Although a windmeter with a paired rangefinder that you point and click that gives you a firing solution makes things easier.......

Grumpy_old_man and 10or45 like this.
  18. 10or45

10or45 NRA Benefactor Life Member

Agreed on Savage for 1st precision rifle that won't break the bank. 24 inch 5R bull barrel, floating bolt head, etc. Savage generally have much shorter throats than Rem 700's also which adds accuracy. Also agree with es350 on SWFA scopes as best bang for the buck. I have a 10T in .308 with an SWFA SS fixed 10X scope and can keep 10 shots inside an inch at 200 yds with my handloads on a good day. It's a .5 moa gun for under 600. Once you chase sub .5 moa prices go up steeply and much of that is the shooter.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    byf43 and es 350 like this.
  19. Grumpy_old_man

Grumpy_old_man

Ditto on the SWFA scopes, best bang for the buck out there for glass in my opinion.

Grumpy

10or45 and es 350 like this.
  20. es 350

es 350

With tuned handloads the savages are amazing as well per$ ....
    Just dont look at the bore with a bore scope! No way they should shoot like they do!!!!
    This is my 308 12 FV (under 300$ on sale and rebate!)
    100yds with 208 gr Eldm 5 shot group's with Varget and H4350 .... 20200216_100929.jpg

All the savages i have personally shot will do this good or better with tuned handloads .
    Even of you spent $5000 on a custom rifle... no guarentee it would shoot as good as 3-600$ savage, although if i spent that much .... i would take it back until it shot to my satisfaction!!
    As long as savage produces rifles that shoot like the ones i have shot no need in spending big$.

Deltic and 10or45 like this.