Glock Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello People, My name is Richard. I am from Baton Rouge Louisiana and now live in Ohio. I can explain the title. When I was 11 years old my Mother enrolled me in a program for kids called the Junior Deputy's. You actually had to be 12 but my Mom knew the director of the program. There were kids from 12 to 18 in the JDs.
We meet every Saturday at a great little gun range and shot 22 single shot rifles with peep sights from 50 feet. It was the greatest thing ever. You were given 20 bullets to shoot 5 at 4 targets. They graded you by your grouping and I was a natural at 11 years old.

We received medals from the NRA, I believe there were 16 the last being Expert. You started off lying down for 4 or 5 medals then to sitting position and then standing. I remember being the youngest to reach a certain level of course nobody new how young I was as my Mom told me not to say. This was in 1966.
I made it all the way up to expert which was the holy grail. But of course by the time I was 15 I was more interested in girls and cars so I failed to reach the holy grail.
But I did have a love for shooting and cleaning my gun.
Fast forward almost a half century and I'm on vacation in Florida visiting my Niece and her family. She says, You want to go to a gun range and shoot my Glock?
Well I absolutely was and we spent almost 2 hours and went through I'm thinking about 400 to 500 rounds. She had worn a blister loading mags for me to shoot.

As soon as I got back home I bought a Glock 19 4th gen. Then 2 weeks later a g34 4th gen. Now I have a g17L that I will receive sometime this week. I am having a blast shooting and caring for these pistols. I am a pretty good golfer and I play 3 or 4 times a week. I am finding myself thinking about shooting my new glocks while playing golf. So yea, I'm hooked.
I will be 60 this year and I've always been young minded for this new older age thing. Shooting these glocks just reinforces me feeling young. I have a few hobbies, I own 3 Mazda Rx7s an 84 gsl-se, an 89 GTUs, and a 95 twin turbo. So I take care of those, play golf, and now I shoot my glocks. So I'm happy to be here reading about everyone's experiences and gaining some knowledge. So there it is. Thanks for reading. Rick

· Registered
45,276 Posts
Welcome to GT.

Reactions: Jr Deputy EBR

· Registered
20,243 Posts
Fast forward almost a half century and I'm on vacation in Florida visiting my Niece and her family. She says, You want to go to a gun range and shoot my Glock?
Well I absolutely was and we spent almost 2 hours and went through I'm thinking about 400 to 500 rounds. She had worn a blister loading mags for me to shoot.

As soon as I got back home I bought a Glock 19 4th gen. Then 2 weeks later a g34 4th gen. Now I have a g17L that I will receive sometime this week.
They are addictive. My 9 mm Glocks are a G26 and a G34.
We meet every Saturday at a great little gun range and shot 22 single shot rifles with peep sights from 50 feet. It was the greatest thing ever. You were given 20 bullets to shoot 5 at 4 targets.

All that junior slow fire trigger time pays off.
So far, all my 13 year old son has been interested in has been firing his .22 caliber Marlin, until I let him fire 40 rounds through my Mini 14. It was a treat when his disinterested teenage demeanor, changed to surprise as he looked for more ammo and said, "Is that it?"

Welcom

Reactions: Jr Deputy EBR

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are addictive. My 9 mm Glocks are a G26 and a G34.

All that junior slow fire trigger time pays off.
So far, all my 13 year old son has been interested in has been firing his .22 caliber Marlin, until I let him fire 40 rounds through my Mini 14. It was a treat when his disinterested teenage demeanor, changed to surprise as he looked for more ammo and said, "Is that it?"

Welcom
13... what a wonderful age. I remember it well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.