long gun vs. handgun regulations

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by tlish, Jul 8, 2007.

1. tlish

tlish Guest

i have a question about the purchase of long guns vs. handguns in indiana. an 18 year-old can purchase a long gun, but not a handgun, correct? also, a long gun can be purchased out of state and brought to indiana, right? if buying a long gun online, is an ffl transfer necessary, or are long guns shipped to your house? what about the background/nics check? is that the same on long guns vs. handguns?

it's been awhile since i've bought a long gun and i just don't remember. i'm trying to advise someone, but can't remember the rules and regs.

thanks!

2. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

Age: yes, since we abolished crime with the SSA of 1968, federal law has set the age at 18 for purchasing a long gun from an FFL.

Out of state: assuming non-FFL holder, yes, depending on that state's law, yes, you can buy in bordering states because of the FOPA of 1986.

Online: yes, transfer, absent the purchaser being a C&R holder (if firearm is C&R) or FFL, firearm must go to a FFL who will then log the transfer and conduct the background check.

3. rkba_net

rkba_net

>a 18 year-old can purchase a long gun, but not a handgun, correct?

You must be 21yo to purchase a handgun from an FFL... HOWEVER 18 - 20yo's can purchase , receive as a gift etc a handgun from another INSTATE resident. Also 18yo's can get a CCW.

>also, a long gun can be purchased out of state

LONG-GUNS ONLY can be purchases from any out of state FFL (not individuals) as long as BOTH states laws are obeyed. The Firearm Owners protection Act DELETED the requirement that the states be contigious.

>if buying a long gun online, is an ffl transfer necessary

Correct... generally the firearm is shipped to a instate FFL...

4. sjstill

sjstill Guest

Just to clarify, it is a FEDERAL LAW that handgun purchasers must be 21, not a state law.

5. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

Qualification: Only for FFL sales. The Youth Handgun Safety Act sets the minimum under federal law at 18 for private instate sales, gifts from parent/guardian.

6. tlish

tlish Guest

thanks, y'all. that's basically how i understood things, but didn't want to advise someone with faulty info.