GlockTalk Forum banner

Do you support the open carry of long guns in public places?

• Yes, I support Open Carry of long guns in public places

Votes: 66 55.9%
  • No, I do not support Open Carry of long guns in public places

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 11 9.3%
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,442 Posts
Post 57
What are the chances that the guy with the AR, and drum magazine no less, ever carried one into harms way. Not great I think although some may have a different opinion. He's a badass now though showing off with his daughter. I'd like to see him enter an El Al terminal like that.

To quote Pennsyltucky above:
"This is one of those things where I respect the legality, but question the wisdom in certain cases."

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Name and address and a check for felonies. Why are carrying a gun right now, ie, walking to my hunting spot or just bought it at WalMart and waiting for the wife to go through line at register. Also to get a general idea if the person appears to be drinking or on some type of drug.
You realize, of course, that such action would be unconstitutional, right? Not the checking for intoxication by observation, but the rest. Of course, in some states it isn't illegal to be in possession of a firearm while intoxicated.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
Depends on your definition of "support", I reckon.

I think it is 100% an unarguable right to do so.

I think in many(most?) cases it does more harm than good to the reputation of responsible gun owners. Also, in today's environment of mass shootings, it can get you into legal or physical hot water, see the dude in the Missouri Walmart last summer for an example.

·
USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,442 Posts
Supreme Court says it can be infringed. Therefore it can be infringed. Unfortunate.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Or your state government will pass a law banning open carry. Just ask California.
Or your state government restricting open carry to certain state approved activities. Just ask Florida. Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
While I don't actually care if people open carry a rifle I do see a problem. We watched 300 armed black people all dressed in black march on Stone Mountain, Ga. If they had run into 300 armed white people it may have turned into an all out fight which the police could not have stopped!
If that clown at the airport would have run into 10 armed black people or Antifa what would he have done. In fact what would the police have done?

·
Registered
290 Posts
A rifle slung across the back like the Israeli girls would be one thing, having the rifle in front with hands on something entirely different. Would you trust somebody walking down the sidewalk with a handgun unholstered? Carry vs brandishing.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Why not? Israeli girls can do it buying ice cream.

View attachment 851790
I’ve read a lot about this in the past, as I‘m sure many glocktalk guys have googled IDF Girls.

These girls are military members, the chambers are empty with flags, and the magazines are not directly inserted in to the mag well, but use a mag holder that carries the magazine.

·
Making America great again!
16,228 Posts
I support open carry of any firearm, but I'd never do it. You make yourself the first target for the criminals and homicidal maniacs who are concealing their guns.

·
Patrol Corporal
857 Posts
I support less government regulation of most things, especially firearms.

But, I don't think open carry is a good idea. It draws a lot of unnecessary attention.

Police have specialized training and policy dictates security holsters that are firmly attached to our belts and gear to prevent the weapons being taken away, and even then it still happens. Why be a primary target when it's not necessary?

It makes things difficult for law enforcement, as it is nigh on impossible to determine the loons from the legit until the shooting has started and we see who the targets are.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
You realize, of course, that such action would be unconstitutional, right? Not the checking for intoxication by observation, but the rest. Of course, in some states it isn't illegal to be in possession of a firearm while intoxicated.
I'm as much against gun control laws as anyone but what's in the constitution bans a cop from checking out a guy outside WalMart with a shotgun?
I didn't say slam him on the ground and put him in handcuffs, just ask him how is he doing and why do you have the gun. If he appears drunk or agitated or something else seems off ask for his ID and run a check.
In my state we have open carry but the law can arrest you for going as a terror to the public. That means if you are intimidating people with the gun or if someone "feels" intimidated by you with the gun they can arrest you. I have never known anyone arrested for this just by standing with a gun but if they get a complaint they usually will ask you to put the gun away.
It's your responsibility to carry the gun in an unthreatening way if want to open carry. I'm sure standing in front of WalMart with a shotgun would intimidate someone.

·
Premium Member
24,833 Posts
It’s normally a dumb idea to open carry. To open carry a long arm? It’s a poor option. If you ride a bike, walk I can see it. The idiot at the airport. Attention whore. I may be legal to carry into gas station, fast food... when hunting. I wouldn’t. They ignore (or ask if I have seen any game) based on dress.
So they removed unloaded, cased AR from rearmost location in car? Loaded it to walk around and draw attention? Attention whore.

·
The Kindly Curmudgeon
3,555 Posts
I’ve read a lot about this in the past, as I‘m sure many glocktalk guys have googled IDF Girls.

These girls are military members, the chambers are empty with flags, and the magazines are not directly inserted in to the mag well, but use a mag holder that carries the magazine.
And?

·
NRA Life Member
63,416 Posts
Open Carry of long guns in public places, even without a carry permit, was passed in Georgia in 2014 when HB 60 was passed.

Jim Cooley open carried an AR in the Atlanta Airport in 2015 that brought a lot of attention to the new law.

So was he against the law and acting like a %$#@ing idiot in public to try and get it repealed, or what? Somebody on the pro-gun side should have shot him out of pure spite.

What a geeky POS.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts