GlockTalk Forum banner

Do you support the open carry of long guns in public places?

• Yes, I support Open Carry of long guns in public places

Votes: 66 55.9%
  • No, I do not support Open Carry of long guns in public places

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 11 9.3%
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Mentally Frozen
24,717 Posts
I don't begrudge anyone doing it, but I view the same as open carry.
I myself will not do it. Too much attention that I try to avoid since I carry concealed.

Reactions: Caver 60 and Rotn1

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I don’t do it but I don’t have a problem with OC of handguns, they are defensive in nature. But those two incidents really turned me off to carry of long guns in town.
Totally agree about handguns and they are holstered too. I could even go with cased long guns. But I’m no fan of open carry of long guns in public.

My gun club has 1,900 members and 380 acres. We can not open carry long guns around the club either. Only at the shooting bay.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I personally think the rifle should be slung. Just like a pistol is holstered.

I would support our right to do this even with my life. We are a free people.

However I do not see the need to do this for my self....

As a side note that I think is pretty cool...

There is a group of folks who go to our War memorials on Memorial Day who carry long guns, Garands, 1903 etc. Some are dressed in correct vintage attire.

·
Registered
13,056 Posts
On July 4, 2020 Secoriea Turner, an 8 year old girl, was shot and killed by an 18 yo carrying an AR at an Atlanta protest.

Several of the protesters are armed with long guns and law enforcement can do nothing about it until a round is fired.

And how’s that any different from a concealed handgun?

·
Registered
42,445 Posts
I support the right
I usually question the need or brilliance of it as the people I see doing it are just looking for attention

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,437 Posts
I open carried a long gun every moment of my life long ago in far away places. Have no desire to do it today. Others may feel differently. All should have the right.

·
Registered
13,056 Posts
Atlanta Major Bottoms pulled the police from the area because of the open carry of long guns. The family is suing the City of Atlanta as of today.

Maybe, just maybe, a police presence would have prevented this shooting

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/family-8-year-old-secoriea-turner-filing-lawsuit-against-city-atlanta
I get that, but if someone is open carrying anything they are available for the whole world to see. A long gun will draw immediate attention.

There is no policing problem in Atlanta. There is a political and management problem. The police would have handled it just fine.

Thugs with long guns will get my immediate attention. My range buddies or similar others that are well trained / capable ...... I wouldn't blink an eye.
I can't see myself doing it but then again I've never had a need to.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
This is one of those things where I agree that it should be legal, but actually doing it is a bad idea functionally.

·
JAFO
4,307 Posts
This guy looks like a dooshbahg and probably never got hugs as a child. Nobody wants this crap shoved down their throats and an informational picket at the state capitol would do way more for our cause than some redneck wandering around the airport with a rifle slung across his chest.

The argument is that he is within his right to carry in this manner. So I am perfectly within my rights to shove my pecker into a light socket, but that doesn't mean it's a great idea.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
But the cops can still "check out" the guy carrying the shotgun, right? What does "checking out" entail, in this instance?
Name and address and a check for felonies. Why are carrying a gun right now, ie, walking to my hunting spot or just bought it at WalMart and waiting for the wife to go through line at register. Also to get a general idea if the person appears to be drinking or on some type of drug.

·
Pharaoh
34,485 Posts
This guy looks like a dooshbahg and probably never got hugs as a child. Nobody wants this crap shoved down their throats and an informational picket at the state capitol would do way more for our cause than some redneck wandering around the airport with a rifle slung across his chest.

The argument is that he is within his right to carry in this manner. So I am perfectly within my rights to shove my pecker into a light socket, but that doesn't mean it's a great idea.
You have either very strange sized light sockets or....

·
Registered
483 Posts
This is one of those things where I respect the legality, but question the wisdom in certain cases.

It's good because it helps prevent some harassment of hunters and people headed to/from target practice or gun shops.

It's bad when you have idiots who decide to "test" people and put it on You Tube.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts