Long gun open carry POLL

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Buckshot Barry, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Yes, I support Open Carry of long guns in public places

66 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. No, I do not support Open Carry of long guns in public places

41 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. Undecided

11 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. lesgeaux

lesgeaux

Or a bl
    or a blow to the back of the head and your car, wallet, wife is stolen. Criminals will be criminals. Doesn’t matter open carry or not. It is a right to be protected. Let it go and Karen next door will call you out for open carry when you go from your house to the car with your range toys.

9jeeps, jr24 and Quijibo like this.
  2. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

When I was a teen we used to walk through our neighborhood carrying our rifles and shotguns to our local shooting area. I don't remember people whining about it.... especially (supposedly) 2A supporters.
    The Constitution needs no apology.

3. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

agreed

4. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

nevermind

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  5. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

YEP! Too many, Boneheads walking around trying to make life miserable for everyone else.

Buckshot Barry and fg17 like this.
  6. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Some states CCW laws are for a PISTOL.

Here is the law here.

(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section. A permit does not authorize the permittee to use a handgun in a manner that would violate a provision of state law. A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part 2.

Concealed carry of a rifle is illegal.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  7. Flags

Flags

You said it well for me.
    It tends to make me nervous in towns but I don't bat an eye in the woods or out of town.

Caver 60 and nursetim like this.
  8. Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle

Depends on your state. Do your homework if you are concerned.

9. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Rolling over to appease the sheep got us to where we were just a few years ago. Seems there are many here who think that kissing their butts will protect our rights.

Agonizer, lesgeaux and ThatGuyYouKnow like this.
  10. Pluto57

Pluto57

But the cops can still "check out" the guy carrying the shotgun, right? What does "checking out" entail, in this instance?

11. Pluto57

Pluto57

The "shall not be infringed" ship has sailed. The SCOTUS has already ruled that some restrictions are, indeed, constitutional. It is just a matter of determining which ones are and which aren't.

Caver 60 and Buckshot Barry like this.
  12. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

I support open carry for long guns, but not for me.

13. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I think open carry of anything helps desensitizes the public to the carrying of firearms. That I believe, is a good thing. The more guns the public sees being carried and used legally the less freaked out they get and the more accepting they become.

The problem therefore, isn't the open carrying of long guns by a few people, it is that not enough people do it.

It's just about the season where 750,000 people take to the field and open carry long guns. There is no problem with open carry then, there shouldn't be now.

Agonizer likes this.
  14. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

Property rights trump all others, so unless we're talking about a sidewalk or government owned property, it should be up to the property owner. Follow their rules, or get off their property, immediately.

On a sidewalk or government owned property, I think it should be legal, even if it's usually going to be a bad idea.

Walk Soft likes this.
  15. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I support open carry of anything up to and including RPGs and SAWs. On the other hand, I'm not one to advertise. If you see me wielding a rifle in public, it's boogaloo time!

ScotchWhisky, Gauss Rifle and Cambo like this.
  16. Cambo

Cambo

I support open carry of long guns, especially when they're needed to neutralize groups like Antifa, and protect property like the Rooftop Koreans did.

Simi_gun_guy likes this.
  17. hogship

hogship Stop the steal! Silver Member

You are exactly right mac66.

I do support the right to open carry a long gun, and probably wouldn't do it myself, unless there was some realistic and urgent need.

Now, if the time came when it was commonplace, I probably would from time to time. What is commonplace? Good question.......if I were at some event where 10% of 100 persons attending were carrying long guns, I'd consider that commonplace.

I'd be willing to bet the crime rate would be positively effected if more people did openly carry. I don't open carry, but other than the post office, I can't remember the last time I wasn't armed while in public.

18. jcm3

jcm3 G22 4 Me

Agreed, but we can affect the speed of that ship with voting and with other legislative support and effort.

If we let the libs determine what is constitutional or not, we'd only be able to own muskets.

Caver 60 likes this.
  19. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    And your point is?

20. fg17

fg17

Ideology aside, I have a few reasons from personal experience.

I’ve told the story before. I live in a small rural town, it’s not unusual to see long guns in open truck racks at the local watering hole during hunting season, But long gun open carry in town is not common. My wife works for the local school district, as she was leaving work one day she called me and said a man just crossed in front of her with a machine gun ( it was an AR-15) towards the sidewalk in front of the school, about 40 feet from the entrance. I said call the PD, as I was talking to her she said they just showed up.

It happened to be a local self proclaimed activist doing an “audit”. My kids were young at the time and went to school there. If I would have been driving by he would have gotten tackled and I would have dealt with the consequences.

Second incident. I worked at a local bar as a bouncer and also did their money drops to the bank. I was there one day taking care of some stuff, had my son with me. As we were leaving he said dad those two guys walking down the sidewalk toward the bar have AKs. We ducked back inside expecting a robbery, I was armed. They walked by without incident.

I don’t do it but I don’t have a problem with OC of handguns, they are defensive in nature. But those two incidents really turned me off to carry of long guns in town.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    badge315 and Buckshot Barry like this.