Long gun open carry POLL

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Buckshot Barry, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Yes, I support Open Carry of long guns in public places

66 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. No, I do not support Open Carry of long guns in public places

41 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. Undecided

11 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

Open Carry of long guns in public places, even without a carry permit, was passed in Georgia in 2014 when HB 60 was passed.

Jim Cooley open carried an AR in the Atlanta Airport in 2015 that brought a lot of attention to the new law.

[​IMG]

Sherlock913 likes this.
  2. jr24

jr24

It's part of keeping and bearing, shouldn't even be a question.

3. nursetim

nursetim

Just because you can do something legally, doesn’t mean you SHOULD do that thing. I will support those that choose to do this, but I also think they are, to various degrees, attention seekers. If there was a practical reason, other than to bring attention to oneself or the law, then OK.

4. fg17

fg17

No, bad idea in this day and age.

czsmithGT, PhotoFeller, Rotn1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Vic Rattlehead

Vic Rattlehead

Do I support it? Yes. Would I do so, willy-nilly? No.

6. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Come on man!!

Do I support it? No, I don't. I think it's a horrible idea. However, as someone else said, it's part of keeping and bearing, so its legality shouldn't even be a question.

treg, DocPoison, czsmithGT and 4 others like this.
  7. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  8. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

On July 4, 2020 Secoriea Turner, an 8 year old girl, was shot and killed by an 18 yo carrying an AR at an Atlanta protest.

Several of the protesters are armed with long guns and law enforcement can do nothing about it until a round is fired.

[​IMG]

9. G19Cfan

G19Cfan

I agree, this should be a RIGHT. Practically speaking, there would have to be special circumstances for me to choose to do so.

10. jr24

jr24

Well said.

treg, Dynactus, Caver 60 and 2 others like this.
  11. Fortunate Son

Fortunate Son

If you want to build a culture you have to live it.

1) You will create / build Normalcy.

2) You will spark communication which will bring understanding of law, history, and rights.

3) You will preserve the 2nd Amendment as removing guns would be as odd as removing everyones right arm.

4) Mass shootings would be over with as fast as they start.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bus007, Quijibo and jr24 like this.
  12. Pluto57

Pluto57

I suspect that if someone is pointing their gun and threatening people he/she can be arrested or shot by the pointee prior to a shot actually being fired. I'm not a big fan of idiots hotdogging it through an airport and sitting around Starbucks with an AR-15, but even idiots have the same rights as the rest of us.

13. Pluto57

Pluto57

Or your state government will pass a law banning open carry. Just ask California.

14. garya1961

garya1961

I believe you should have a right to open carry long guns but also the police should have right to stop and check you out if you are open carrying.
    I mean a guy walking down a country road with a shotgun is different from a guy standing in front of WalMart with one.

treg, badge315, Caver 60 and 5 others like this.
  15. Taz

Taz

Open carry attention whores have done more to hinder 2A progress than good. You’re an attention whore if you carry an AR into an airport. You’re an attention whore if you carry to Starbucks and spend an hour finger ****ing your AR/AK/SKS while posing for bookface pictures.

However, I fully support allowing dumbasses to be dumbasses. It’s part of being free. You’re free to use your brain or not.

Bren, TexFarm, Dave Lively and 3 others like this.
  16. jcm3

jcm3 G22 4 Me

I would probably not do it, unless it was a riot/looting situation and I was there to be protecting people/places.

That being said, it's a right, and a right that the Second Amendment that states, 'Shall not be infringed." So, infringing on specifics of the amendment is not any different than those on the left trying to infringe on it by saying that it exists for a militia or for hunting.

It is what it is, and although we may not agree with it, it's there for a reason. I support it.

17. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

The one thing I don't like about it is one blow to the back of the head and the bad guy now has a long gun. But I guess that goes with open carry handguns too. Situational awareness is of course paramount when open carrying.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Green Dragoon, wyntrout, jcm3 and 3 others like this.
  18. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

It's like burning the American flag. I support your right to do so, but once you do it, you may suffer consequences that are beyond your control. Plus you're just an ass.

Dynactus, Caver 60 and Buckshot Barry like this.
  19. Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle

I support open carry of any weapon in the sense that it shouldn't be a national emergency that warrants a SWAT team showing up to get you just because your nosy neighbor or some Karen spotted you moving your range guns to/from the car without a gun case. Context is everything.

With that having been said, if I see someone open carrying a long gun in public I have a very quick, rational spot check that I do out of habit while keeping my distance and looking for cover.

1) Are they armed security, law enforcement (possibly plain clothes) or active military?

2) Are we near a gun store, shooting range, hunting/camp ground or a place that sells hunting licenses?

3) Is there a movie filming that I don't know about or costume convention going on nearby?

Now for the tough one...

4) What is the demeanor, "profile" and mode of carry of the person(s) open carrying these weapons? If I see people with a rifle slung over their shoulder, my assumption; based on past observations is that they are (quite foolishly) flaunting their 2A rights. In my opinion this is kinda dumb. Seriously; why would you throw away the element of surprise afforded by a CCW permit? After all, you can CCW a rifle/shotgun if you know how.

The more diplomatic cops who are well versed in their states' carry laws will recognize this for what it is (unnecessary posturing) and handle it appropriately.
    Example;

This was a job well done. These 2A activists were educated on how their rights can impact others and even endanger their own lives when used irresponsibly. Their rights were ultimately respected and no one was hurt or even butthurt.
    However don't be surprised if you meet some cops who either don't know (or don't care about) the laws, don't have time for your BS and will call your bluff and shoot you deader than disco if they deem you a threat. Right or wrong, you can't sue, file a complaint, press charges or fight the negative press attention you receive if you are dead.

4a) If I see a person (of any age, sex, color, etc.) actively wielding a firearm, I assume intent to use it; if not to actually cause harm, then to threaten or intimidate. At that point, I'm looking for cover and/or exits while assessing the situation to determine if I need to take action.

4b) There are some cases where a person is holding a gun in such a way that is nonthreatening but may alarm others simply by carrying a gun; regardless of how it's carried. Example: An army base was approached by an Iraqi civilian, holding a rifle as one might carry a broom or shovel. He didn't speak English and was walking straight toward the front gate. The guards all had their weapons trained on him but luckily one soldier approached the man to find that an M16 was dropped in the desert, this civilian found it and decided to turn it in. Sometimes context is everything.

TL, DR; I support the right to open carry long guns but I expect (and highly recommend) heavy scrutiny for such actions in absence of an obvious purpose for doing so. But on the off chance some clown chooses to ignore what I just wrote; I know in advance, who to target if they do something stupid.

Dynactus and Caver 60 like this.
  20. jr24

jr24

Depends on the circumstance. If you are trying to be an ass and cause a scene, perhaps.

Conversely, I lived in Rural AK for a number of years and all winter folks buzzing around town (or standing at the pump, or whatnot) with a slung rifle was extremely common, be it an AR for range time on the tundra or checking the trap line, or a bolt gun (or sometimes a .308 AR) for caribou or moose or whatnot.

Nobody freaked, nobody cared because it was as common as a fisherman with a .44 strapped to his chest.