Lone Wolf Lower problems - striker/plunger damage

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by nutsnax, Jun 16, 2020.

1. nutsnax

nutsnax

Hello,

I'm new to this board, but maybe some folks can help correct me if I'm wrong...

So I got a new Lone Wolf lower and put about 200 rounds through it and noticed that my striker upper plunger shelf was being chewed up at the transition from the lower to upper shelf. I was also getting crazy light strikes. No matter what kind of trigger bar, plunger or striker I used it didn't matter....

I couldn't figure it out so I took the gun apart and put it on the back burner for a while and didn't think about it.

I then ran into a bunch of Glock parts that a relative of mine was getting rid of which included a complete Glock 22 slide so I figured I'd try out one of those Polymer80 frames with it.

I did the whole drilling and assembly process and everything worked out fine. I then decided to test and see if this gun would exhibit the same problems as my Lone Wolf. It didn't. This issue is easy to reproduce, simply dry firing the Lone Wolf pistol enough will cause some level of damage to the striker/plunger.

Immediately I noticed something interesting... the slide on my polymer80 gun sat MUCH closer to the frame than the lone wolf and had vastly less "slop" in how the slide seated to the rails. Also I noticed that the Polymer80 has much beefier and longer rails.

This got me thinking... I wonder if some kind of geometry design flaw in in my lone wolf lower and/or the rails was causing the slide to sit too high off the frame which in turn was causing my striker to impact the plunger and damage the associated parts? I was able to reproduce this issue with both slides and the issue disappeared for both slides once I switched to the polymer80 frame.

I removed the extractor and reassembled both pistols and observed the clearance of the plunger with the trigger depressed (see image)

Sure enough, this is the case.... So I did some searching around for people with damaged strikers/plungers and it seems like this isn't an isolated incident with Glocks in general though it seems to be WAY more pronounced in my Lone Wolf lower.

I see folks have had issues with gouged up titanium plungers in the past - perhaps sloppy slide clearances to the frame due to thin/worn rails is the cause?

Curious to know what other folks think and sorry if this is already covered somewhere or if I'm somehow being stupid!

Attached Files:

2. nutsnax

nutsnax

So just a FYI to anyone with gouged up plungers or strikers and\or light strikes... You should check the clearances between your slide and frame.

If the slide sits too high off the frame or the tolerances are too loose with the rails then this will cause the striker shelf to impact the plunger and eventually the drop-safety feature of the gun will likely be disabled as a result.

Also this can cause light strikes as the energy that would otherwise be used to hit the primer instead goes into damaging the plunger/striker.

3. GRR

GRR

They look the same to me relative to the extractor hole. Just a slightly different angle on the picture.

4. nutsnax

nutsnax

Thanks for the reply.

If the slide is too far off the frame and/or wiggles around too much (i.e. loose tolerances due to crap manufacturing or from wear) then the striker will impact the plunger and cause damage and /or light strikes. I think this is actually quite pervasive from what ive read...

This also means that even if your striker/plunger arent necessarily showing wear, that doesnt mean that no contact is occurring if your slide is loose.

Fixing the loose tolerances by getting a better built frame with beefier rails (poly80 in my case), while keeping my same slide, fixed all of my light strike issues and all of my striker/plunger damage issues.

Attached is a pic demonstrating the damage im talking about.