Glock 27 Lone Wolf 9mm Conversion Barrel Hood Markings

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by weblance, Aug 15, 2018.

1. weblance

weblance

I just got a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G27 off ebay, and I've never seen one marked this way. It has a standing wolf, shooting a pistol. I admit to being new to Glock, and haven't seen a lot of Wolf barrels, but the ones I have seen dont look like this one.

It was listed as being for a Gen 3, and I assume its older. Is this just the way they used to be marked? Also, like the Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel I bought for my G22, it has no caliber designation, and no other markings of any kind. That seems odd to me.

IMG_1311.JPG

AdamRodgers likes this.
  2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I have never had a LW barrel marked like that. My older ones did have a wolf's head on the hood, later ones it got smaller and with the AW barrel's gone altogether.

There isn't a Gen 3 vs Gen 4 barrel, so that is suspect, at least as it pertains to the sellers knowledge.

AdamRodgers likes this.

3. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

Looks much better than that stupid wolf they did have.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  4. Bluescot

Bluescot

I've never seen one that ugly, some that were tasteless and gross but not that ugly. I guess Lone Wolf thinks that the top of your barrel is their outdoor advertising space and tries to ugly it up.

I have some aftermarket Glock barrels and they seem to have a caliber designation and sometimes a Logo on the exposed portions of the barrel. And yet other aftermarket companies will have the caliber designation only on the exposed parts of the barrel and their name on the underside of the barrel hidden by the slide when assembled but visible when broken down.

My experiences with Lone Wolf have all been negative and I would never buy any of their products. Their CS department is full of .........

5. GRR

GRR

That's an early one.

tampashooters and AdamRodgers like this.
  6. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

Well to each there on, I like it. Would rather have a cool Werewolf on it the the little cartoon looking one.

I could be wrong but it may be one of the first alpha wolf barrel's, before they were called alpha wolf ?

happie2shoot likes this.
  7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I thought they had become more refined over time, comes with prosperity, at least sometimes. But I could be wrong. I frankly never saw one that ugly.

I thought JR was still around, if he didn't get banned... ;)

AdamRodgers likes this.
  8. AdamRodgers

Hey that is what's awesome about living in America, :flag: we all can have choices. I just think Werewolves are cool, reckon I watch to many horror movies.

My friend has a older Temberwolf pistol frame and Lone Wolf slide. It has a barrel in it that is identical to this. On the worksheet that came with the pistol I 'thought' I read Alpha Wolf barrel.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    happie2shoot and WeeWilly like this.
  9. weblance

weblance

I think it looks cheesy, but I got a good deal on it, and it shoots straight. I was disappointed to find that Lone Wolf has discontinued just about all of the value priced conversion barrels, instead now focusing on the much higher cost Alpha Wolf barrels. I simply wanted a low cost barrel to plink 9mm through my 27, and wasn't feeling the need to spend $140 on the Alpha Wolf barrel.

10. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I agree. I never liked the logos, but the price was always right for what I considered consistent quality. I have found nothing about the AW barrel to be better than the LW barrels, in fact, as it pertains to the Black coatings, less. I have had to polish the feed ramp on each of my AW barrels as the coating is abrasive enough, feed reliability was poor until I did, never an issue with LW barrels.

11. AdamRodgers

Never quoted or replied to myself. o_O

Anyway I was eating breakfast with my friend that has that particular pistol I spoke of. Well I was wrong . Sooooo I thought I would get that out and maybe someone will come through and hook ya up with the answer you seek.

My friend nor I can find anything about it other then what has already been said, it's a older barrel.

I apologize for the wast of time and space. :cheers:

Edit: For clarity

12. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I do it all the time (quote myself), I even clip myself out of context once in a while, when I am really trying to win an argument with myself.. ;)

Rocky7 and AdamRodgers like this.
  13. AdamRodgers

Yes Sir. I have wanted to ask you a question and I know it's not exactly the correct time to do so but we are talking about LW barrels.

I have read quite a fue post and I think I remember you saying that your Glock 42 has a Alpha wolf barrel?

How does that particular barrel preform against the factory barrel whenever shooting the +P ammo out of that .380?

WeeWilly and happie2shoot like this.
  14. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

I have many LW barrels and don't mind the wolf on them,
    if it bothered me I would sand it off.

IMHO, it can't make a Glock uglier, maybe better. ha ha

15. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I do use the AW barrel as my "carry barrel" in my G42 (actually for everything but load work ups). When I first started trying the Underwood +P 380 loadings, I noticed that my OEM barrel smiled every single case.

I knew from experience that meant they were really pushing the pressures on those loads, as in my own experience loading 10mm into the twilight zone, one of the indications of over pressure is a smile developing down near the case head where the feed ramp and chamber mouth cut can place its impression on the case.

I decided I wanted to develop a simulator load for my UW +P carry ammo, as practicing with it is cost prohibitive. I tried a lot of different powders in my testing and finally settled on one that produced almost identical results to the UW 90gr XTP +P load, but using 95gr PD FMJ bullets.

When I was doing the development, I created a thread over in the reloading section covering my test results. During that time, Crockett (no longer a member here, I think) chimed in and did some parallel work. He found he got more velocity out of his AW barrel than his OEM barrel and also it wouldn't smile cases as quickly (more case head support). So I bought one to see if his experience was unique or something I might see. I got the same results as he. I got anywhere from 25-60fps additional velocity out of the same load using the AW barrel and I also could load much higher pressure wise before I started seeing smiles in my cases (a little added insurance from case head kabooms).

I found the AW barrel to be fully reliable feed wise (after I polished the feed ramp) and with the added case head support for the hot rounds I carry, it seems like a good trade-off.

I still like to use the OEM barrel for load workups, as you do get a sort of early warning system in the looser chambers with the case head smiles. With the AW (and pretty much any other AM barrel I have ever used), you don't get smiles until you are waaay around the bend pressure wise. So to my mind, less optimal for load development.

Probably TMI. ;)

16. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

Can you post your results again, I can't find them,
    would like to see Crocketts results too if you know
    where to find them?

Did you ever test the cast boolits?

Thanks for all of the tests you have done, I am
    still thinking of getting a 380, need something
    very small.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  17. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I asked them to take the thread down as I was getting a lot of questions from guys that clearly didn't have the experience to be playing outside the lines and could see someone getting hurt pretty quickly.

I will try and print a hard copy and give it to you next time you are in town (I have some lead to give you as well). I may have Crockett's email address around here somewhere, if I can find it, I will PM you. He has some powders I didn't test, including the actual powder UW uses (Lovex I think, imported by Shooters World), he did a lot of forensic research to find it. My loads ended up with CFE (although BE86, Autocomp (same as CFE), and a few others in that burn range will likely get you there).

happie2shoot and AdamRodgers like this.
  18. AdamRodgers

No Sir, definitely not to much information. That is what I wanted to know, thank you.

I am planning on purchasing a Glock in 10mm of some sort hear in the near future and it sounds like I will be trying a lone wolf conversion barrel in .357 Sig for it also. A little project for the winter months.

Anyway a G42 with a Alpha Wolf barrel has come to my attention at one heck of a deal, look's like I may get that little fellow also. I'm going to hunt down the thread in the reloading section hear in a couple minutes.

Thanks so much for the info. :dancing:

19. AdamRodgers

Ok just got your post about the thread removal.

I still appreciate the info about you experience with the G42 and Alpha Wolf barrel.

20. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

If you have the experience reloading, use the OEM barrel for working up. Check every single case at every single level. Smiles in 380 cases start pretty early in the OEM barrel, so don't freak out at the first one you see (good to take some UW +P loads and save the cases as comparison specimens).

I used .2gr increments, CFE pistol will get you there.

The G42 handles the hot stuff like it is nothing. My little P380 DOES NOT. ;)

Good luck.

AdamRodgers likes this.