Lone Survivor

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Blaster, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

I recently finished Marcus Luttrell book "Lone Survivor". A must read account of Luttrell's survival and return to American hands, it is simply outstanding.

The courage of these brave americans is beyond words, 19 of whom are no longer with us.

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10

On a clear night in late June 2005, four U.S. Navy SEALs left their base in northern Afghanistan for the mountainous Pakistani border. Their mission was to capture or kill a notorious al Qaeda leader known to be ensconced in a Taliban stronghold surrounded by a small but heavily armed force. Less then twenty-four hours later, only one of those Navy SEALs remained alive.

[​IMG]

2. GAC

GAC

Hey! I remember reading about that book coming out. I remember the press reports at the time, too.

3. jacquejet

jacquejet

Just started to read it the other day. So far, so good.

Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country's cause.
    - Homer ("Smyrns of Chios"), The Iliad
    (bk. XII, l. 283), (Pope's translation)

4. Reececr94

Reececr94

I use to train with Marcus in the martial arts for a couple of years. That dude is one, intense bad ass... I pitty the enemy who came upon him...

He is an outstanding person with whom I am honored to have trained with.

5. jacquejet

jacquejet

Finished the book last week. What a story! Four guys outnumbered by 200+ taliban. Give our guys a couple more shooters to cover their flanks and they might have won out. Luttrel's survival due to the courage of the Pashtun village is a story in itself.

6. Pitmaster

Pitmaster

Laura Ingram interviewed the author last night. I was going to get it at the library. But after finding out a little more about the story, I'm buying it. The guy deserves the profit and its the least I can do for him.

7. chuckz28

chuckz28

I heard him talking on a radio show about the story and it prompted me to get the book. Just finished it yesterday and I have to say it was an excellent book. Really gets to you knowing it was a true event, and what these heroes go through to preserve our way of life. I think it would make a great movie.

8. CheesyD

CheesyD Nyet to Marxism

Bought the book but haven't started it yet. It's in line to be read soon!

9. agarr

agarr

Awesome book. This book will make you proud to be an American. It made me grateful that men like Marcus Lutrell volunteer for the duty of defending out Country.

Read that LPO Lutrell recently retired on Medical and is planning to attend Medical School.I know he will make a heck of a Doctor.

I also saw that Mike Murphy may receive a Posthumous Congressional Medal of Honor.

Lone Survivor would make a hell of an Action Film........

I highly recommend this book.

10. badge4436

badge4436

I finished Lone Survivor last night. What a story. That decision they made to release the goatherders cost three of them their lives. I also wondered why Mike Murphy was not decorated when the rest were. Gotta be something in the works. I also wondered if the Taliban retaliated against the village.

11. jacquejet

jacquejet

There is some discussion that Lt. Murphy may be up for the MOH. There are links at Blackfive.net. At the moment the links are at the bottom of the page (2 Aug).

12. Riverwarrior

Riverwarrior

I recently finished the book and have to say that it was one of the best books I've ever read......period.

RW

13. jacquejet

jacquejet

14. lawman

lawman

This is a GREAT BOOK. Buy a copy now and will not be disappointed. Read about a American Hero.

15. ottobon100

ottobon100

Started reading it the second I came home from purchasing it at the Exchange and didn't even stop to eat dinner. Finished it around 2AM. Great book! If you haven't bought it yet you need to. Bless this young man and all those who have served and are currently serving this wonderful country.

16. MarkUCF

MarkUCF

This book was fantastic, easily one of the best I have read ever. It is a fitting tribute to Petty Officer Luttrell's teammates who died in combat. Essentially, anyone who loves America and respects the work that the SEALs do should enjoy Lone Survivor immensely. I lent it to one of my buddies and now he wants to be a SEAL (I don't know how long that will last, though).

17. Notrega

Notrega

Just ordered that from Amazon...

18. jacquejet

jacquejet

19. GAC

GAC

The Navy Times reporter is also the author of Not A Good Day to Die which is another good book on action in Afghanistan.