close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lone Cop Kills 3 Bus Robbers

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Alexii, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

MANDALUYONG BUS HOLDUP
    Lone policeman outguns 3 rob suspects

Updated 01:40am (Mla time) Aug 02, 2004
    Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A22 of the August 2, 2004 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

COURAGE and presence of mind make a hero.

On Saturday night, senior police office 1 Charlito G. Corpuz of the Mandaluyong police stopped a bus robbery by shooting it out with three unidentified suspects.

Although wounded in the gunplay, Corpuz managed to slay the three robbers who tried to prey on passengers of a JMK-JOJO passenger bus (with license plate no. TVN 562) at about 9:30 p.m. along EDSA (Epifanio delos Santos Avenue) in Mandaluyong City.

Corpuz told investigators that he was on his way to work at about 8 p.m. when he took the bus in Fairview, Quezon City. It was bound for Pacita Complex in San Pedro, Laguna.

He said he took a seat directly behind bus driver Dante Mendoza of Cinco Hermanos subdivision, Marikina City.

Boarded near Crame

Upon reaching the bus stop along EDSA, in front of Camp Crame police headquarters, three men came aboard.

Bus conductor Sergio Rafal Jr. later told police that one of the men sat on the conductor's seat, which was beside the driver.

Another man sat three seats away at the driver's back row, and the third proceeded to the last seat and sat in the middle fronting the aisle.

As the bus was approaching the intersection of EDSA and Shaw Boulevard in Mandaluyong City, the man sitting beside the driver suddenly pulled out a .38-caliber revolver and pointed it on the neck of Mendoza.

"Sumunod ka sa gusto ko o sasamain ka (Do as I say or you'll be sorry)," said the suspect, who then ordered the driver to take the underpass.

The suspect in the middle of the bus simultaneously pulled out a homemade .45-caliber pistol and announced a holdup before ordering passengers to face down.

The suspect at the end of the bus also pulled out a .38-caliber revolver as he acted as a lookout.

One quick move

Realizing what was happening, Corpuz, who was in casual clothes, quickly pulled out his .45-cal. pistol and immediately shot the suspect beside the driver.

As he turned to shoot at the other suspects, the suspect behind him opened fire and hit him in the right hand.

But instead of losing heart, Corpuz took the gun using his left hand and continued shooting.

When the smoke cleared, the three suspects were bloodied and dead.

Corpuz, along with passenger Rolando Gaddi, 31, who was hit by a stray bullet in the left foot, were rushed to the nearby Dr. Victor Potenciano Hospital for treatment.

Kudos to this guy! We need more cops like him.

^c

2. Kiddo

Kiddo

Congrats SPO1 Corpuz! Chalk one up for the good guys! ;) :cool: Nice to know that there are still police officers out there doing their duty and being vigilant! :cool: We definitely need more guys like him! Best wishes and may you have a quick recovery! :)

3. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Bravo, Congratulations to this guy!! Good shooting!! ^c
    Kill 'em all, that's the way to do it, no use throwing them to jail, they'll just come back for more. Life's hard as it is without having to deal with lowlife's like these with nothing better to do. When it's our turn at bat, I hope we could do as magnificently as he did.:)

4. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

At last! A policeman who still performs. I salute the guy.

5. 9MX

9MX Rei!

nakapugo din!;z

6. julianz

julianz toxic master

good job officer corpuz ^c . kill em all why spend tax money to feed those perps if proven guilty puno na munting lupa kahit nga nakakulong na nakakalabas to commit crimes.
    Firing squad is the best;I

7. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

Awesome!! Congrats kay SPO1 Corpuz. I nominate him for the Genepool Lifeguard Award of the Year. ;f

8. attyjpl

attyjpl Dark Justice

why don't we give a plaque to this heroic cop?? not a bad idea i think :)

9. bulm540

bulm540

excellent, storng hand weal hand shooting. The guy probably shoots some IPSC. Who says IPSC is not practical.

10. bulm540

bulm540

oops, strong hand weak hand, my bad

11. vega

vega

Probably IDPA.;)
    Cheers for Officer Corpuz...;c ;c ;c

vega

12. Austrian45

Austrian45 Member

That good ol' .45!!!!!

13. bass one

bass one

I pressume he is carrying it cocked and locked.

Devil's advocate question.;f Rules of Engagement? Stray bullet that hit the passenger came from whose gun? The guy is a hero because it ended with the BGs' guts splattered on the floor but what if the BGs escaped and the passenger still got that stray bullet wound from who knows where? Wouldn't it be a different story? Ofcourse this would greatly depend on the media. Like in this report, the first sentence is "courage and presence of mind make a hero." What if the first sentence is: "Passenger hit by bullet when trigger-happy cop engaged bus robbers." hehehe, walang lang magawa mga sir, just stirring up some imagination. What do you think?

14. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

If I were in the same situation as the SPO1 I might have done the same. If he hesitated and did not engage the headlines might read "Cop shot dead by robbers" Because this hold up goons won't think twice of shooting him if they found out he was a cop. I think he made his move solely on instinct. Shoot first explain later. ;) Better be explaining to the Napolcom than be six feet under.

15. JuDGe

JuDGe

Lookslike the Gen Valenzuela Cup (EPD) held at Armscor a couple of weeks ago paid off ;f

16. kerwin

kerwin

good shooting officer! thats three less goons to worry about.

17. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

According to the news tidbit posted in Philstar.com yesterday, their superior officer is holding regular competition shooting in their indoor range.

In one of the local channels tonight, I think they will again feature the cop. ;)

18. flyboy 1

flyboy 1 Sir Yes Sir!!

Yup, according to his superior officer they just concluded a shooting competition quite recently, and that this helped in our brave SP01 Corpuz's performance.

But also in the news article, it mentioned that the robbers announced their plan to divest all passengers of their valuables. SP01 Corpuz probably figured that once they get to him and found out that he was a cop with a gun, more likely than not they will shoot him rather than take the risk that he will do nothing. So it was bravery mixed with a sense of survival. It makes for a nice combination. ;)

Seriously, I have always worried about get getting caught in the middle of a holdup or robbery when I'm carrying, especially in situations wherein they start divesting everyone present of any valuables. When they get to you and find that you are armed, there is a strong chance you will get shot out of fear or panic. How would should we react in this situation? I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments on the matter. Thanks. :)

19. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

flyboy 1,

It would depend on many factors, like how certain you are of the BGs intent to harm/kill you if they find you carrying. Also, where are you in relation to the robbers? Is there a likely chance that innocent third parties would get killed in the crossfire? There's no hard and fast answer, which is why we should keep honing our survival skills and maintaining alertness whenever we are out and about.

Oh, and prayer works too.

20. Allegra

Allegra

Seriously, I have always worried about get getting caught in the middle of a holdup or robbery when I'm carrying, especially in situations wherein they start divesting everyone present of any valuables. When they get to you and find that you are armed, there is a strong chance you will get shot out of fear or panic. How would any of us react in this situation? I'd appreciate my fellow BOG's thoughts and comments on the matter. Thanks. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

why carry at all if your not going to use it?
    if those robbers notice that gun bulging in your waist, their gonna shoot you agad
    kaya I dont carry eh, I'd rather be the gray man :)