Login Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Jun 1, 2020.

1. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

When I login to GT or any other website, my laptop no longer remembers my logins and I have to retype it every time. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I have Windows 10.

2. JimmyRayBob

JimmyRayBob

What browser are you using?

3. GeorgiaGlocker

Google Chrome

4. JimmyRayBob

JimmyRayBob

I am far from an expert, and hopefully someone else will chime in with a better answer.

In the Chrome settings, it sounds like the cookies got cleared or are getting cleared each time you close Chrome. Check Settings, and look for Cookies and Site Data. You need to allow sites to save and read cookies, and NOT clear the cookies when you close Chrome.

I hope this helps (and I hope I'm right).

5. GeorgiaGlocker

Thanks. I will give it a try.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Have you logged into Chrome with your Google Account? I think that is the only way Chrome will remember passwords

7. fiasconva

fiasconva Standing my ground...

Try going to settings in Chrome and look at your autofill settings for passwords.

8. Lord

Lord Senior Member

Chrome will remember passwords and populate the fields for you. It's not the laptop or windows that does it. Also, it's not cookies that store passwords. In chrome, click on the 3 little dots in the far upper right corner, and in the menu, select "settings".
    Once in settings, on the left side, click on "Autofill".
    The first thing in Autofill section is "passwords" and over to the right is a small arrow meaning there's more there to look at. Click on it.
    There will be an on/off toggle to "offer to save passwords". Make sure that's on or colored blue.
    Then there's an auto sign in option. Also make sure that's on... and blue.
    Finally, below that should be all the sites that Chrome has stored username/password combos for you.
    That should do the trick.

n2g likes this.
  9. JimmyRayBob

JimmyRayBob

I agree that passwords are not stored in cookies. However, some websites allow your computer to be remembered, and that is done with cookies. The timeframe for being remembered can vary greatly and is up to the website.

for example, I log in to this website. I have Chrome set up to NOT remember any passwords. I use a password manager, which is turned off.

I close the webpage. I surf elsewhere. I come back here, and I’m still logged in, because a cookie told the website who I am and that I should still be logged in.

10. Lord

Lord Senior Member

because cookies normally come with time stamps and those time stamps also have expirations.
    The cookies don't store user/password information, only "tokens" that are created. If you successfully login, the token is written to indicate that you were successfully logged in, and were authorized. The unfortunate caveat to that is often, the cookie is not deleted in a timely fashion, and the token remains, even when your session to the website is expired. Quite often it makes the browser seem to behave and that's what leads to "you have to clear your cookies and cache" instructions from IT guys like me, when you're on a website and nothing seems to be working correctly.

Trust me, I've been doing IT for over 30 years. The cookies have nothing to do with it other than to track you and your actions. that's why these days every page that cookies your machine, has to now alert you that they are doing so...

11. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

Developer here. Let's be more pedantic. On Windows, Chrome uses DPAPI to encrypt and store your passwords. Creds aren't stored in cookies for security reasons and because no one likes passing a beefy cookie back and forth.

But yeah, like everyone has already stated, this is a browser setting issue.

12. JimmyRayBob

JimmyRayBob

I think we are saying the same thing, just worded differently. But to clarify for the OP - why doesn't his laptop remember his logins for GT or other websites? It could be EITHER the passwords are not being stored (like for an online banking session) OR it could be the cookies are being cleared (like for this site). YES, both are browser settings.

13. JimmyRayBob

JimmyRayBob

I apologize for dragging this out and probably making it more confusing than it should be, but I'm not in IT, just somewhat of a geek. I'd like to come out of this a bit smarter than when we started.

You say this has nothing to do with cookies, but I just changed the GT password stored in my password manager, logged out of the password manager, double checked to make sure that my browser isn't storing passwords and closed the browser. Then I opened my browser back up and came back to GT and I was still logged in. So - how did GT know who I am? Had to be cookies, correct???

Again, I'm sorry for taking what should be a relatively simple question and making it unnecisarilry complicated.

14. GeorgiaGlocker

I checked and and both options were checked blue. I guess I will just have to type everything in.