close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Log on screw up

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Generalcarry, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I tried to bypass the welcome screen (used some info from here) and must have erased something important. Tried a F8 boot but regardless of what I arrow up or down to, it asks me to log in. I ran through all combinations of user names and passwords but nothing will let me in. Any ideas?

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I am sorry to hear of this as I have lived similar experiences. It looks like a hardware failure at this point.

:sad: :shocked: :crying:

3. Toyman

Toyman

Well, you could start by telling us what you deleted.

4. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

On 4/13 Cassandra started a thread here about how her husband had to go through a windows welcome screen to use the computer. I was having a similar problem so I used the advice HAVOC gave her. I was caffeine wired pretty good and don't really remember what I removed. I've been playing with this for a few days now. If I could just get back to the desktop I could figure it out. I tried all choices using F8 and they all want a user name and password. I'm not sure what I left.

HAVOC was helping her with her problem and didn't even know I gleaned his response. Please be clear that I and I alone caused the mess!!!

What I did is listed below. I took out about 3-4 user names/passwords. However, the NEW user name and password I made up doesn't work.

Auto Logon to Windows XP
    Published: March 18, 2002

Submitted by Doug Knox, Microsoft MVP, Tewksbury, Massachusetts

You can configure Windows XP to automate the logon process if your computer is not part of a domain.

Click Start, click Run, and type control userpasswords2.

Clear the Users must enter a username and password to use this computer check box.

Click Apply.

Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.

Click OK again and you're all done.

This feature allows other users to start your computer and use the account that you establish to automatically log on. Enabling auto logon makes your computer more convenient to use, but can pose a security risk.

5. stratocastor80

stratocastor80 NM FTW

You could try this...
    http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305

or if that doesn't work try this

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

one of those should allow you to reset the admin password giving you access.. Now if you were a good boy, you've been using system restore, and can just set back to before you messed up, other wise, get to a command prompt and run
    sfc /scannow
    its the system file checker and might be able to replace something you've removed.

If all else fails, might have to bite the bullet, and rebuild windows...

Good luck:thumbsup:

In the future, you can just use the autologon feature
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231
    However, be aware that this method stores your password in plain text in the registry (not good) and windows is already ridden with security bullet holes..

6. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Thanks, I still have all the original Dell CD's so it shouldn't be a problem. I was kinda hoping I didn't have to hunt them down but...!
    I use disk clean-up in the system tools about once a month and I'm not sure when my system restore was last cleared. I only use that computer for pictures and music.
    I have to run now, but I'll give it a run when I get back.

Thanks!

7. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Have you tried booting into safe mode and logging into Administrator with no password?

Otherwise, try this:

Get UBCDWin from here:
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

Burn to CD, boot to disk, reset password.

8. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll Pantless Wonder

try "admin". It's default. :thumbsup:

9. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

When I got home yesterday, bad rainstorm , we lost power. I'm going to tackle this this morning.

I'll let you know!!!

10. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Well, still a no go. I’ve been using Reinstallation CD for XP Home and following the site below. When I got to step #9 (reboot), a black screen came on that wanted a set or startup password. I couldn’t continue until I entered the password (obviously I had to hit a key) and that’s where everything went to hell.
    When I now try to boot, I get to a “continuation screen that wants me to insert the reinstallation cd and continue. When I do this the computer cannot find D drive.
    I tried shutting down and starting up again and I have a “Primary hard disk drive 1 not found” message along with a “type and enter password”.

There may be a problem in the F2 (set up) but I can’t find it.

If I can get by this I may be able to start over with:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/...icle.asp?ID=305

Tried Admin in all its forms and also downloaded:

Get UBCDWin from here:
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

Good thing I’m retired and have the time to mess around, I do learn more each day.

11. stratocastor80

stratocastor80 NM FTW

At this point, unless theres some sort of critical data on it, that you should have backed up anyway, you should just rebuild with windows XP. It would be faster anywho. And if you havent backed stuff up, know you know, and knowings half the battle :)

12. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Well it's been almost a month and I keep coming back to the same problem. I was wondering, for any fixes I try do I have to disconnect the cable network?
    I can only get so far with this:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/...icle.asp?ID=305

Where it says watch the L/H corner for Installing Devices and hit Shift & F10, well the l/h corner never gets to installing.

13. srhoades

srhoades

Did you actually try the suggestion of the Ultimate Boot CD? I use it all the time to reset passwords.

14. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Yes I did. I copied it off the other machine, but it wouldn't boot.
    I'm reinstalling Windows XP right now. About 10 minutes left to go.

15. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Well, everything is gone. I guess now I'll have to catch up with all the window updates from 2002. I guess when I rebuilt XP, it erased everything else.

16. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I did replace XP (and all upgrades including SP2 since 2002) but on my desktop I have no icons. I checked the hard drive and ~32% of it is full. I still can find FFox and My Music if I run a search, but I've been messing around trying to figure how I can get them from back into play. I'm out of ideas on what might work and was wondering if someone more knowledgeable than myself, could throw an idea or two my way.
    Thanks

17. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Can you right click on the main screen where the icons should be and move the cursor to Arrange Icons By> then check Show Desktop Icons?

18. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Not any more. I'm just adding the programs I think I may need. Still don't know why so much memory is being used.

19. srhoades

srhoades

Open up task manager and find out.