Loctite on Rear Sight?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by 2ninersavo, Jan 19, 2010.

1. 2ninersavo

2ninersavo

Does any one put loctite on the rear sight when you install it? Is it really needed?

2. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Loctite is not one of those products where if a little is good, a lot is better!

I've used it on rear sights where the OEM suggested it.

I've used both red and blue on front sights with complete success.

Careful cleaning and drying of all contact points is key to success.

--Ray

P.S. Necessary? I guess, if you feel the rear sight's secure enough without it, try it without. If it comes loose, then you have your answer.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010

3. 2ninersavo

2ninersavo

I will say this about the Loctite. Meprolights instructions say to put it on, the customer service at Kimber/Mepro says the instructions are wrong and to put Loctite on the front sight only, then they call me back and say to put it (blue Loctite) on the rear after installing the sight. If so how do adjust it if you need to? It seems to me that no one at Kimber/Mepro knows what they are talking about.
    If I have to Loctite a rear sight in that should be a press fit, I either have a bad slide, or a bad sight or more than likely I have pick the wrong company for a sight. It just does not seem right to use it when other sight companies are not.
    The Mepro sights for the H&K's that we use do not use Loctite on them when they are installed at H&K.
    Now I know that someone on this site has installed MEP rear sights on a Glock and not used Loctite. Did they come off or did they stay? Also how many MEP's have been installed that someone copied the letter on the bottom of the rear for warranty records.
    So really my question is has any one not used the Loctite on the rear MEP sight and did it come off? Thanks for any help.