Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Civil Liberties Matter
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BE63E3A4-CE48-4904-B892-BAA83D39B58E.jpeg
I’ve always been partial to Spyderco, especially the PM2 which is the epitome of an EDC pocket knife in my opinion. Having said that, I’ve been eyeballing the Bugout for awhile now, but the lack of Benchmade QC kept me from buying one (I’m a stickler).

I know that I’m extremely late to the party, but I picked up the Bugout today at the LGS. I finally found one with a decent edge grind for Benchmade standards and good centering, etc. Besides, I needed to get out and stimulate the local economy during this craziness.

·
10MM WOOOOOOT
5,832 Posts
Very cool

Congrats on the new blade. Good to buy in person so you could inspect pre purchase.

Sitting here with my favorite benchmade, the contego. Gotta love the axis lock

Reactions: MFC4

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Congrats on the new blade! I'm a fan of the bugout and it's my most carried knife. I bought 12 Benchmades in the past 12 months and never had an issue with any of them.

·
Civil Liberties Matter
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to say, I like the blade finish, only to be let down by the edge grind. It’s better than average for BM, but not as good as their competitors IMO. The axis is addictive and with the slightest bit of tweaking, it’s very smooth.

It definitely takes up less pocket pocket space compared to my PM3 LW due to blade shape. And I do prefer the BM small deep carry clip to the Spyderco wire deep carry clip. As far as weight is concerned, the difference between the two is not noticeable.

Overall, the knife is growing on me and I can see why it’s so popular.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
It seems like a good utility knife, although I like the PM 2/3 better. And I think Spyderco is pretty much in a class by itself in terms of steel and heat treat right now.

Factory edges aren't a concern for me, as I'm going to resharpen user knives anyway.

I guess preferences on blade profile and primary grind depend on specifically how you're going to use the knife.

·
Civil Liberties Matter
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems like a good utility knife, although I like the PM 2/3 better. And I think Spyderco is pretty much in a class by itself in terms of steel and heat treat right now.

Factory edges aren't a concern for me, as I'm going to resharpen user knives anyway.

I guess preferences on blade profile and primary grind depend on specifically how you're going to use the knife.
I use all of my knives but I like a stabby tip because I open a lot of packages. Some of the BM edge grinds are so catywhompus that the tips are ridiculously off center and blunted. I shouldn’t have to regrind a $100+ knife. The one that I bought isn’t too bad tho.

It’s a shame because BM knifes are great except the edge and tips. Admittedly, I’m a stickler.

·
Civil Liberties Matter
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Where is the PM2 LW?! Maybe in some S45VN or SPY27?

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
I use all of my knives but I like a stabby tip because I open a lot of packages. Some of the BM edge grinds are so catywhompus that the tips are ridiculously off center and blunted. I shouldn’t have to regrind a $100+ knife. The one that I bought isn’t too bad tho.

It’s a shame because BM knifes are great except the edge and tips. Admittedly, I’m a stickler.
I don't mind redoing the secondary bevel, because I'm probably going to change it anyway on a user.

I'm good with G10. REX 45 is my favorite so far. The one I'm using now is convexed.

IMG_2533s.jpg

IMG_5330.JPG

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have to say, I like the blade finish, only to be let down by the edge grind. It’s better than average for BM, but not as good as their competitors IMO. The axis is addictive and with the slightest bit of tweaking, it’s very smooth.

It definitely takes up less pocket pocket space compared to my PM3 LW due to blade shape. And I do prefer the BM small deep carry clip to the Spyderco wire deep carry clip. As far as weight is concerned, the difference between the two is not noticeable.

Overall, the knife is growing on me and I can see why it’s so popular.
Not sure what you mean about the edge grind. It's almost exactly like the Para 3 (S110V) I had.

Out of 11 Benchmades I got in the last 12 months, I had 2 that could've used some fine tuning and 2 that were borderline.

Spyderco gives you the choice of 20 different steels on the same 4-5 models. Doesn't mean they're in a class by themselves. There's a SS on google docs with lots of brands and hardness tests and other than the bailout 3v debacle, most of the knives are well within range. Not just Spyderco.

SPY27 looks like S30V and Spyderco must've bought (literally) a sh!t ton to get Crucible to mix it just for them.

Cutlery Shoppe just released their Manix 2 S90V exclusive this afternoon. While I'm not a fan of the compression lock, I was curious to try out the Manix with ball bearing lock. I looked for a cheap user but couldn't find one. I read about this release and thought I could just buy one to check it out and if I don't like it, I could sell it for a profit. It seems to be the thing to do with sprint run knives so I bought 2 :).

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Spyderco gives you the choice of 20 different steels on the same 4-5 models. Doesn't mean they're in a class by themselves. There's a SS on google docs with lots of brands and hardness tests and other than the bailout 3v debacle, most of the knives are well within range. Not just Spyderco.
I think they are doing a good job on the heat treats, independent of variety.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I think they are doing a good job on the heat treats, independent of variety.
I wasn't trying to implying they're not doing a good job. They are but so are many other brands. Benchmade seems to have perfected their S30V since switching from 154cm as their standard steel choice. I think it's perfect for the bugout. I've only had to strop mine to get it back to hair popping sharp.

I don't have a collection like yours but I do like to try out different steels but I could live with S30V for every knife I have if I had to.

The Manix 2 shipped within 2 hrs of ordering so I should have it by the end of the week :).

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
I wasn't trying to implying they're not doing a good job. They are but so are many other brands. Benchmade seems to have perfected their S30V since switching from 154cm as their standard steel choice. I think it's perfect for the bugout. I've only had to strop mine to get it back to hair popping sharp.

I don't have a collection like yours but I do like to try out different steels but I could live with S30V for every knife I have if I had to.

The Manix 2 shipped within 2 hrs of ordering so I should have it by the end of the week :).
I was never all that interested in comparing steels until the PM2. First I got interested in the knife, then the steels, then the heat treat dimension (with respect to the variety).

This was the first time I encountered a situation where there was so much variety from one maker, all with the same blade geometry (because it's the same model).

My general assumption is that Sal is applying the same logic and standard of care to all the steels. So this is about the closest you're going to get to an apples/apples comparison across the board, maybe outside of the Mules.

Something like comparing Busse to BRK to CRK is a way more complex.

·
Civil Liberties Matter
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Post it up when it arrives in the mail.

·
Civil Liberties Matter
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far, I really like the slim profile of the Bugout. As advertised, you don’t know it’s there. The Bugout is definitely the running shorts champion.

The bad: the blade shape doesn’t poke thru my coffee cup lids like the PM2 or PM2. I drink a lot of coffee so this matters to me. It’s all about the air flow. Also, The stop pin screw fell out. I emailed BM on Saturday for another screw and I still haven’t received a reply.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Post it up when it arrives in the mail.
I went a little overboard...

I also ordered the DLT Manix 2 20cv yesterday. I ordered 4 Lynch clips last week. 1 from BHQ for the Manix 2 lw and 3 direct. The BHQ came in a few days but the order from Lynch is still "processing" after a week. Not sure I like it on the lw. It puts my pinky almost in the path of the blade when closing. I carried the Manix 2 for a week and I like it but it's frickin' huge compared to my Benchmades.

So far, I really like the slim profile of the Bugout. As advertised, you don’t know it’s there. The Bugout is definitely the running shorts champion.

The bad: the blade shape doesn’t poke thru my coffee cup lids like the PM2 or PM2. I drink a lot of coffee so this matters to me. It’s all about the air flow. Also, The stop pin screw fell out. I emailed BM on Saturday for another screw and I still haven’t received a reply.
I've used my bugout to poke holes in my coffee lids with no issues. I'm currently carrying a PM2 s45vn and it is a bit more stabby.

I would call them for the screw. They're not very good with emails from what I've heard but I've called 3 times about new clips and they were very responsive and shipped in less than a week (in my hands in less than a week).

·
Civil Liberties Matter
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

I also ordered the DLT Manix 2 20cv yesterday. I ordered 4 Lynch clips last week. 1 from BHQ for the Manix 2 lw and 3 direct. The BHQ came in a few days but the order from Lynch is still "processing" after a week. Not sure I like it on the lw. It puts my pinky almost in the path of the blade when closing. I carried the Manix 2 for a week and I like it but it's frickin' huge compared to my Benchmades.

I've used my bugout to poke holes in my coffee lids with no issues. I'm currently carrying a PM2 s45vn and it is a bit more stabby.

I would call them for the screw. They're not very good with emails from what I've heard but I've called 3 times about new clips and they were very responsive and shipped in less than a week (in my hands in less than a week).
You lucky SOB, I tried like hell to get the PM2 in S45VN but failed. Keep us posted on the new steel - nice knife!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You lucky SOB, I tried like hell to get the PM2 in S45VN but failed. Keep us posted on the new steel - nice knife!
I missed the initial drop and didn't think I would get one and wasn't willing to pay over the $200+ asking prices I've seen but someone posted an online shop that had 6 on of the FB groups I'm on. The post was an hour old so I figured it was sold out but it wasn't so I ordered one for $170 shipped. Of course that was AFTER I ordered the BBS PM2 (M390) the night before. My justification was that if I didn't like it, I could sell it and not lose any money.

I usually rotate thru knives for at least a week and this week is the s45vn. The steel is supposed to be slightly better than S35VN and S30V so I don't know if I can quantify the difference in actual use but I do love S30V from Benchmade. This doesn't seem any different from my initial impressions. I like it and seems to carry better than the Manix 2 but still a big knife in the pocket. It feels much better than the Para 3 I sold off. The diamond G10 patterned scales are really nice. They're not as grippy as the Para 3 or BBS PM2 but still plenty grippy if that makes sense.

I could not spydie flick the Para 3 and can do it only about 50-60% of the time on the PM2 but I'm at about 90% with the Manix 2. I'm kinda figuring it out though and getting better with practice.

The edge grind is the only issue I have but will be fixed with the first sharpening.

·
Civil Liberties Matter
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Yep, you were right. I called and they’re going to send a replacement screw pack. That’s cool, I’ll have plenty of extra screws now. Thanks Benchmade.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts