close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lock your car doors ppl. (what would you do?)

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by AllanRR, Jan 5, 2005.

1. AllanRR

AllanRR

Hello everyone,

This incident happened to a friend of mine last night, around 3am. The location was South Super Highway cor. Vito Cruz, southbound, in front of the stoplight near Aling Nene's restaurant.

Anyway, my buddy and his friend were stopped at the light when all of a sudden, 4 guys come out of nowhere and try to force open the doors of his car (Civic 4 door) all at once. The BG closest, trying to open driver's side door, realizing that all doors were locked (thank god), then whipped out a knife and then tried to break open the glass.
    My friend, meanwhile, being a bit sleepy, needed a couple of second to realize and understand just what was happening around him. So when the BG tried to break the glass with the knife, my friend put the car in gear and made a u-turn and headed straight for the nearest police station. He also noticed 5 other guys waiting in the center divider, hiding in the bushes.
    After reaching the police station and heading back to the scene of the incident, the BGs were long gone. Witnesses say that they forced open a taxi and sped away...

So, after my friend was telling me this, I started to think of what I would have done in that situation. If I were carrying, would I be within my rights to shoot the BG who was weilding the knife, trying to break my window? And if the other BGs still persisted, engage them as well? If my front was not blocked by another car, should I just speed away?

I know that I should not get down from the car though and shoot thru the window instead. What happens next? Drive to the police station? Stay at the scene if there was only one BG and wait for police? D@mn, a lot of things going thru my mind now...

Allan

2. Boj917

Boj917

IMO, i think your friend did the right thing, driving to the nearest police station and letting the authorities know. I would do tme same thing if i was in your friend's place even if i had my gun with me. SAves you a lot of trouble. Imagine if you open fired on the BGs and managed to shoot one of them, you still have to face the cops, contact your lawyer and go thru all the hassle.

FOr me, I still believe that using your gun would still be the last resort.

Peace!

3. FAlvar

FAlvar I love Iya

Whip out the 45-70 derringer and show him both holes.

4. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

Here in the BOG forum it seems that the consensus will be to discharge your firearm as a last resort in ANY situation, which would seem very logical given the current socio-political climate of the Philippines. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. :)

5. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

The best tool to use in that situation remains the car, not a gun.

6. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Dude, drive away as fast as you safely can. Shooting a BG, even if you are in immediate fear for your life, will cost you untold expenses and emotional stress. Of course, if the BG were carrying a gun instead of a knife, then you'd have to think very fast about whether you could outrun a bullet or take your chances shooting it out with the other BGs who may be similarly armed.

Anyway, I hope you guys stay safe out there. Don't drive when you're sleepy. Stay aware of your surroundings whether your car is in motion or stopped in traffic/at an intersection.

7. agentrod

agentrod

Notorious yang area na yan, even up to Quirino. Lots of e-mails circulating about that. Dyan din nabaril yung pamangkin ni Ricky Reyes di ba - didnt give up his cellphone to a snatcher who shot him in return.

8. attyjpl

attyjpl Dark Justice

the best way is to do when confronted with this situation is to speed off or simply avoid direct confrontation with the BGs.

treat them with extreme prejudice only when your life is in imminent and grave danger. always remember the rules of self-defense. :)

9. Evan N. Payawal

Evan N. Payawal

Yup, many incidents of similar nature in that general area, which is why the Manila police opened up the station near the intersection. Mukhang the BGs just moved down the road a bit. Ten to one says the BGs live within walking distance of that area. If one of the BGs stands in front of my car, and someone is trying to break open my window, would I be legally liable if I run over the bastard to get away?

10. 9MX

9MX Rei!

by due process, you still would be charged with homicide due to reckless imprudence. your must prove that you acted defensively.

11. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

yup, quirino is well known for this. there was a lengly disussion about this at pinoyglocksters. so now the police put up a sign "please lock your doors" (or something like that) - big help!

12. flyboy 1

flyboy 1 Sir Yes Sir!!

Mikey and the rest are right. In Executive Protection for example, the most efficient way to counter a vehicle ambush is to deny your opponents the opportunity of immobilizing your vehicle. Your best option would be to remove yourself from the ambush area (there is a reason why they picked that exact spot) rather that engage your attackers. If your path is blocked, do not hesitate to force your way through any barricade (which includes the people attacking you). A vehicle is always a more effective weapon than any firearm, period. And unless you are under heavy fire, engaging opponents with return fire should only be done to cover your retreat (considering the short time frames involved, you would be better off concentrating on the task of driving than taking time to draw your weapon and engage BG's).

If you are worried about getting shot while escaping from the threat area, keep in mind hitting a fast moving target under stress and limited time frames is NOT easy, even with automatic rifles. This is something we constantly point out to the drivers in our team, and also why we instruct them to prioritize countering any ambush by driving or ramming their way through, rather than pulling out their firearms. Your driver will always be the key to surviving any type of vehicle ambush.

Going back to the topic (sorry I got carried away), since the BG's strategy was to employ superior numbers in attempting to neutralize you, trying to shoot your way through that situation would not only be futile but outright suicide. And with 5 other BG's nearby, your odds of surviving a shootout (since one can never be 100% sure, I always assume BG's are armed) is next to nothing. That's why driving or forcing your way through will always be your best option.

My .02 centavos. ;)

13. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Here is how I would handle that scenario:

Drive away fast from the location, reverse or forward but drive away as fast as you can (safely). I am assuming that you are packing "heat", therefore, if you are unable to drive away from the location, unholster your weapon and show its business end. Know when to shoot and not to shoot. Make sure of your backgroud. Press when you are sure of your target......go home, have a beer or two and hug your wife.

14. flyboy 1

flyboy 1 Sir Yes Sir!!

Perfect Sir Jerry. That's something I look forward to every night. Hope to meet you soon. ;f

15. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Another deterrent to ward off these elements:

Have quick access to a can of hair spray and spray the heck out the BG'S face. It works. I have done it.

16. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

before departure,start the engine,lock the doors.then drive.this should be SOP whenever you are.glad your friend was safe.

17. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Talk about relying on strength in numbers. I hope their whole barangay isn't in on this crime spree :(

Anyway, 4 plus 5 makes 9, so this might give some of us reason to reconsider our choice of weapon. If we carry a revolver with only 5 or 6 rounds, we had also better carry one or two speedloaders in case we come up against odds like these.

A bit OT, but still related: Last Christmas, a doctor friend of ours was driving alone at night along a remote stretch of McArthur Highway in Bamban, Tarlac. Out of nowhere, a stone came flying toward him and hit his front windshield. Knowing the danger of stopping to inspect the damage, he just continued on driving without even slowing down, even if the windshield was already partially shattered.

On a deserted highway at night, the danger of highway robbery is a real one. Stay safe out there, people.

18. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Somebody I know died when this happened in the same area. Police reports say he lost control of the car after his windshield was hit and he hit a tree or something.

Manong Jerry, I was getting ahead reading your post and was already thinking you'd say: "Get away and park your car in a safe area. Check equipment, return to the scene and engage. ;f

Seriously, that's some crazy and scary $h!t to happen. Anyway, Mannix and I might already have access to a windshield. Anybody want to donate some more ammo for testing? I have federal hydrashoks, the discontinued Tritons, El dorado starfires, some armscor FMJ ball and lead reloads all in .380's. ;)

19. brawnless

brawnless Junior Member

trying to engage the bg's would only give them more time to bring out their firearms (assuming they are armed) and shoot you. being inside the car is not enough cover trying to engage people outside. you might not only be outnumbered but you could also be outgunned. unfortunately, it's "their" territory.

it could be very difficult trying to prove your "rights" in court.

speed away (while you still can)! ;a

windows are expensive! ;f my 0.02 :)

20. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

That's a good tip, Jerrytrini. Will tell my wife and daughter. They probably carry hairspray anyway in their handbags. Hairspray into a creep's eyes. OK! Do women know this?