Glock Talk banner

Locally: IDPA or USPSA. Which to join?

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  ecmills 
#1 · (Edited)
Locally the IDPA and USPSA seem "even" in terms of matches and qualifiers. I presume the same shooters attend both matches.

Did you purchase a membership to both or just one....and why?

I shoot a G34; seems the IDPA is a bit more strict on holster and gun belt (based on mission statement) yet I need 5 mags in USPSA vs 3 for IDPA.

I see no reason to be a member of both but I'm a newbie so what the heck do I know!

#4 ·
Yes, actually shoot both and then you can figure out which one you like and heck if you like both, do it. Welcome to the club!

#5 ·
If your IDPA club follows the rules then you will need to be a member before you can shoot the Classifier and for USPSA if you want to become classified so you can win something then you need a membership. USPSA is more run and gun fun hence the need for more mags while IDPA is tactically based and most gun fights are resolved with the gun mag and 2 spares.

#6 · (Edited)
They are separate organizations. You need to join IDPA to be classified by their rules, but you could shoot USPSA forever as unclassified without joining, however you can only compete at local clubs, not higher level matches. In IDPA you are only allowed to have a mag in the gun and 2 on the belt, in USPSA, wear as many as you want. They are both games, with different rules. IPDA was invented by Bill Wilson, an IPSC champion back in the day. Shoot both, see what you like.

#7 ·
. IPDA was invented by Bill Wilson, an IPSC champion back in the day. Shoot both, see what you like.
Not only was idpa invented by Bill Wilson. He OWNS it lock stock & barrel. He has the gold & he makes the rules. No committee, no polls, just his decisions.

Try both games, see which one you like best but you don't have to join uspsa to shoot at most local clubs. You will need to join idpa if you intend to shoot more than a couple of times. If you like both, sounds like the decision will be made for you. Also, if they are completely separate clubs, figure out which group of guys you fit in with better. Some clubs are just downright unfriendly to new guys so no sense in tethering yourself to those jerks.

I personally enjoy the run & gun freestyle you solve the problem yourself format of uspsa. I've never enjoyed people telling me "do this here, do that there & don't deviate or it is a penalty" but to each their own.

It is easier though to start idpa since they give you very specific instructions on what to do where.

MLM

#10 ·
Personally if you find yourself shooting more than a couple of matches in either or both IDPA or USPSA then I'd think it only fair you support that organization by becoming a member.

And if you are close to any of the clubs you shoot at help as much as you can be it setup, teardown, helping with the scorekeeping at a match, pasting, etc. It's a ton of work for the people at the clubs to put on these matches.

#11 ·
Personally if you find yourself shooting more than a couple of matches in either or both IDPA or USPSA then I'd think it only fair you support that organization by becoming a member.

And if you are close to any of the clubs you shoot at help as much as you can be it setup, teardown, helping with the scorekeeping at a match, pasting, etc. It's a ton of work for the people at the clubs to put on these matches.
+1.

Leaving work early today to setup two stages for USPSA that I can reuse for 3-Gun the following week that I run. :)

In our area at least if you are willing to travel 1 hour you can shoot 3-4 matches month of IDPA and / or 3-4 matches a month of USPSA.

#12 ·
+1.

Leaving work early today to setup two stages for USPSA that I can reuse for 3-Gun the following week that I run. :)

In my area at least if you are willing to travel 1 hour you can shoot 3-4 matches month of IDPA and / or 3-4 matches a month of USPSA.
Within about 60 miles or less I can shoot almost every weekend April - October an IDPA or USPSA match. Just wish my area had the weather to go year round. :cool:

I'm heading to an IDPA SO class Saturday. Nothing frosts me more than a group of shooters who stand around BS'ing while the same people or SO's trek out each time to paste the targets.

#13 ·
Within about 60 miles or less I can shoot almost every weekend April - October an IDPA or USPSA match. Just wish my area had the weather to go year round. :cool:

I'm heading to an IDPA SO class Saturday. Nothing frosts me more than a group of shooters who stand around BS'ing while the same people or SO's trek out each time to paste the targets.
We shoot year round but in Jul-Sep it gets rough. If you don't pull your share helping your squad then sometimes we can't find your score sheet at the end. :whistling:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.