close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Local pc repair guy or chain store?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wayne02, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02

My son has an alienware pc that he uses for gaming. He was given this pc by one of my wifes co-workers. The case is thrashed badly and needs replaced, but it had been operating fine for the last year for my son. The machine stopped working this morning after a windows automatic update. The fans will start, but nothing else.

I really don't have the time nor the patience to fix the thing right now, and want to take it somewhere to get it fixed.

There are several little individual guys around here that have hung out a shingle as a pc repairman, seems like everybody and their brother is a pc guy theses days. Or I could take it to the larger stores like compusa or something.

I want the thing fixed and I want a new case put on.

Where should I take it? Is it customary to request an estimate up front on this type of deal?

Wayne

2. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

Your talking a large chunk of change there. The case swap out will probly be no less than $50 plus the cost of a case. As for the windows. I say start in safe mode and get the data off the unit you want or need. Then restore it your self. Or figure out a way to uninstall what ever updates you installed. You could try to uninstall them in safe mode and see how that turns out.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Depends...

If the local PC shop screws up(which is less likely than a big Best Buy/Comp USA), you might have trouble getting them to make it right. Especially if its going to cost them money because an employee did something stupid.

If Best Buy/Comp USA screws up(far more likely), all you have to do is gripe loudly enough, and show the Mgr the money you were going to spend there, and he'll likely have someone fix it right..

50-75 for the case swap would seem reasonable to me. Comp USA would probably work fine. The Windows Install? I'd go with what Warp said, try to start in safe mode, save what you can, then reinstall.

IGF

4. malkore

malkore

or see if Windows created a system restore point, and rollback. the automated update didn't install correctly.

I don't trust big chain stores...but i'm a 'pc fixer guy' myself so I do my own work.

5. srhoades

srhoades

That might be difficult considering his orignal post stated the computer wasn't even posting.

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Here's a vote for that small PC shop.

Any shop should have the proper replacement parts onhand for testing.

If it boots Knoppix or DSLinux, it'll boot a properly-configured Windows.

This might be a BIOS issue, though, and it's an AW.

Could be interesting.

7. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

Great question!

Unfortunately like Indygunfreak said, the answer isn’t quite so straight forward. It’s like fixing your car. Dealership or little auto shop? It depends on the mechanic.

I had a student take her IBM laptop to a chain store for spy ware issues. She said it was running slow. They completely wiped out the hard drive and reinstalled the Operating system using their CD. The IBM computers have a hidden partition containing the installed software and operating system. Not only did they not use that partition to restore the laptop, they destroyed the partition completely.
    She got a working computer, but without any of the laptops built in devices. No network card, no wireless card, ETC.

It took me a solid day to restore that partition and reinstall the notebook.

What I am trying to say is that wherever you take it, call them first and find out how familiar they are with your particular brand machine. Do they sell them? Do they see them often? Are they an authorized repair site for alianware? (check the website)

It is important.

Now a tip.

If you have been issued a laptop by your company, or school and are having issues, TAKE IT BACK TO YOUR COMPANY OR SCHOOL FOR SERVICE. They work on your brand laptop everyday and will be able to get it back to you faster and better configured than your local repair shop. (Student said the shop had the lap top for two weeks, charged her, and returned it half working. I had the notebook for two days and returned it to her restored to mint condition.

K