Local Gun shops - internet & future

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Pn2, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pn2

Pn2

While I want to support LGS in my area, I think that they are facing some tough competetion in economics and service.

I called a big LGS and asked for Walhter PPQ, they said they had one $ 679. I thought of giving them a chance if I liked it. Went there (30 miles) and they did't have one :shocked: There were around 20 service reps around. Anyway, the prices of the new guns and second hand ones were atleast $ 100 above buying through internet + FFL transfer.

Why would I pay $ 100 or more when I have to deal with people who are arrogant, don't know what they have, and have limited choice.

Is internet going to finish these shops or there are very few like me who look at all options and not just go and buy when they need one, or have too much money to think about this.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. mindlogiczero

mindlogiczero

I doubt it, if they were hurting they would lower the price. I can see most people rather prolly buy / look at what they are buying in person.

3. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

I was quoted $550 for a new Gen 3 or $600 for a new Gen 4 recently. + 9% tax

$599.50 & $654 after taxes :shocked:

I don't feel the need to see a NIB Glock in person before buying. I can find the same 2 guns online for $520 and $570, that includes the shipping and FFL fee.

Wanting to support the local economy more than another state's, because he has been very helpful to me in the past I'll probably end up buying local.

4. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Disclaimer, each shop is different in terms of volume, location, what they sell/specialize in, etc. That being said this is my take from being in the industry.

Gun shops wont completely die espcially because you need an FFL to do the paperwork for the online sale and they usually charge a fee and make some money even if you dont buy the gun there. Plus not everyone shops online or trusts it, there have been some horror stories from places like GunsAmerica and people have had a few issues (not me) with Gunbroker and Buds. The smaller shops I can see getting pushed out down the road but the larger ones especially attached to ranges will always have a good revenue stream.

Plus most gun stores make their profit on other items like ammo, supplies, gear, gunsmithing, etc. You'd be amazed how small the mark up is on guns from the distributor to the store to the customer. Some places that charge outrageous prices more often than not is because they are the only game in town/area. The internet guys can sell at a lower price because they sell a larger volume.

When I first started out in the business I was very surprised/stunned at the cost a dealer pays for a gun and the percent of mark up vs other items. And more people buy other items than guns. Selling one gun may make the largest profit/lowest percentage of mark up in dollars but some stores do average 1 gun a day. Gun stores will generally sell more holsters, mags, night sights, ammo, cleaning supplies, parts, gunsmithing services daily at a higher volume and mark up percentage but lower dollar amount per item however, they sell multiples of these items daily.

:50cal:

5. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

A while back, I was at a place named something to the extent of Lower priced discounted guns and when I checked it out they had most guns at high MSRP and others that werent at MSRP were similar to most places in the area. Lets just say the owner was really nice but I wont shop there. The place is still in business 3 years later.

6. Alizard

Alizard

No, terrible service and poor quality is. None of the shops around here make any effort to QA new guns and see if they need to be sent back, in fact they keep defective guns and sell them because they know the buyer has to deal with the manufacturer. Our local shop even put up a sign saying that if you have a problem with a new gun, you have to send it back to the manufacturer and they are not in any way responsible.

7. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I tried supporting my local small shops, but I just couldn't justify paying the higher premium when there were other shops within 25 minutes that were $50-75/gun cheaper. It's still cheaper around here to buy locally at a larger shop than having it shipped in though.

I did support a little shop last weekend when I needed some good bore cleaner, i paid a $1.50 more for what I could have bought it at Walmart for, but I was there, he was nice and gave sound advice. But his used Glocks were $20 less than retail at another shop and his new Gen4 22 & 17s were listed at $629. He is in a nice area so I am sure his rent is high and moving lower volume he has to make up for it somehow. PLus his walking customers probably don't follow gun prices very much.

Transfers around here are going around $35 now.

8. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I'm lucky, there are three located a few miles from each other which makes it worth the drive to the one I like. Two I have no use for, one is all tacticool and the other makes me feel like I need to hold my pinky out when I pick up a gun. But the big one, the one that has been there for a long time, is pretty good and the competition keeps them honest as long as you don't want them to order something for you, if you do they will charge all the traffic will bear.

In fact there are 6 boxes of 124gr Blazer @9.99 a box and a pack of 50ft pistol targets on the table next to me right now, I walked in from a LGS trip not ten minutes ago. A couple of weeks ago I bought a G26 there for $499 which I thought was fair.

9. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Not every gun shop will check the guns when they come in except to log in the serial numbers, some places wont even check to see if everything (mags, paperwork, etc) is in the box. They cant test fire because it will make the guns used and they wont spend the time to function check or go through each gun because of various reasons (not paying someone to do it, time consuming, what if they damage/scratch the gun/assumption its ok since it came from the manufacturer), usually they do a better job checking used guns because the are taking a risk buying it from somebody not the manufacturer, but thats not always the case either.

Its places like the one's you describe that embarrass/give the industry a bad name. Every industry fortunately has is crappy reps.

10. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

hmm, wonder if we shop at the same bigger shop. I picked up 2 boxes of 124gr Blazer for $9.99. Are you near OE?

11. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

There's a LGS in my area that lists a sticker price higher than anyone in their right mind would pay for a gun, but "we're willing to come off of sticker price." It bothers me because (1) I'm not shopping for a car, I'm shopping for a gun, and (2) If they can't sell me a gun for gunbroker.com or buds price + $25 for FFL, then its too much money to pretend haggle. They also have a "no cellphone use in the store" sign. Sorry I occasionally check my e-mail in your store when your employees aren't paying attention to me. Give me a fair sticker price, and I'll give you a fair amount for the gun. They do have a range though, so plenty of traffic and they must be successful.

There's another LGS, looks like a hole in the wall, store layout is cluttered, but a new Gen 4 Glock sells for $529. Top it off with nice customer service and we'll order anything for you, and they get my business.

Succesful, fair priced gun store owners will run a business... Attack their distributors as close to the factory as possible, build a relationship with factory/supplier, order in volume for the year, and aggressively price guns. The others will hangout, take whatever from the distributor, and sell you a glock for $630, and really push Hoppe's bore snakes on you.

12. jack76590

jack76590

I suspect the majority of gun sales are to people who are either first time buyers or who own 3 guns or less.

Glock Talk is made up of people who buy/own a lot of guns and read and talk about guns a lot.

So I believe the local shops will survive because gun buyers who are new to gun or only buy a few guns in their lifetime will want the service of a local store. They will not want to take the time to learn the ins and outs of buying on line, locating someone to do the transfers, etc.

Its like a lot of things in life. Do it once or twice in a lifetime, cheaper to just pay for the service. Do it many times and you might want to learn to handle all or some of the process yourself.

13. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

All me deals are FTF now, cut out the pricey middleman.

14. hearsedriver

hearsedriver

I have been really pleased with the service and prices at my local Cheaper Than Dirt store. Ive bought 5 new guns there in the past year . ive tried to buy from our smaller mom and pop stores but, thier prices and attitudes suck. I called one last week to see if they had a G-26 Gen 4 in stock. He said yes, he had one in stock. I asked him if he would mind checking the test fire date on it and he said NO. I asked him why and he said the case was in the back. I just hung up........ Went to Cabelas and the service was just horrible. I'll never go back there again. Thier prices were $100.00 more than CTD on the same gun too! It is rare to find customer service anywhere nowadays.

15. average nobody

average nobody

I like local gun shops because I can go in and hold a gun im interested in, ffls in my area range in price from $65 to over $100 for the paperwork so most times its easier to just buy at the local shop. Im not gonna trip on a 10-20 dollar difference. Convenience is a factor for me. but when I see a good deal on a draco online IM going through an ffl.

16. JK-linux

JK-linux

Only FTF completely above board legal private party paperless transfers here. Enough used guns floating around out there that there's no reason for me to hit an FFL very much. I buy all ammo online in bulk. The exception would be a particular store where I like the owner. I use them for FFL transfers when I find something unavailable locally and my patience with finding one has finally worn out. I also buy overpriced cleaning supplies, targets and the odd box of pistol ammo for the luxury of $20 FFL transfers. Works for both of us. I'd imagine FFL transfer fees will go up at LGS's as time goes on and more people buy online.

17. oldman11

oldman11

Then you have the FFL problem. All the gun shops in my area will NOT accept shipment from anyone unless you buy the guns from them. I never ran into that problem before moving to the Dallas area. I've got 3 shops within a 15-20 mile trip and I've asked each one of them. Their answer, Flat NO. I've been looking for a private FFL, but so far no luck.

18. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Yeah many places will continue to raise pricing to make up for not having the gun bought there in stead of trying to be more friendly and pricing competitive.

In WA fees have gone up and now we have to pay tax on a FFL tranfers :steamed:. In CA many places charge $75 to $100 on top of the $35 DROS (Dealer Record of Sale) fee required in CA and tax on the purchase price and if you dont have a receipt its MSRP :steamed:. For example, if I send a gun from WA to CA it could cost $50 including shipping plus $110 and lets say tax on a $400 gun is $40, thats $200 :steamed:

Yeah I know lots of CA stuff sucks when it comes to buying/owning guns.

19. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

I've honestly found the LGS's I use to have better prices than the net. Plus it's nice to know that you're dealing with honest people compared to who knows what over the net.

20. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Not all LGS places are bad and there is a risk buying online even though many have not had issue, enough have to be cautious when doing so like anything online like ebay. The problem I think many are feeling is that they are not as fortunate to have a really good LGS.

I have been to some really good and some really bad. I honestly would rather buy from a LGS than online but there are a few good ones close to me and if I ever moved back to CA, I would probably have the mrs flirt with the guy behind the counter :supergrin: do I dont have to pay $650 after tax/fees for a M&P 9 I saw at a CA store my last time there, that I can get for $399 to $450 online and after fees about $ 465 in WA and $550 in CA. Check my previous post for fees explanation.

I have managed and worked as a regular employee in the industry and if I had the funding, permits, location etc. I would open up a store/range combo and have a GT shooting day :supergrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.