close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lobsters

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Jeeps, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Ok, here I am in Massachusetts - land o'da Lobster.

I have sought out the local fishermen and found a place that will sell my local lobs for 5 or 6 bucks total!

Now I cook mine a little more humanely. I once read that if you soak a lobster in beer, it will get drunk and then you throw into the boiling pot.

I did that, and the lobster was good.

But the locals here say that if you put a lobster in a warm pot, and then turn up the heat, they will fall asleep, and then boil. What this does is allows the lobsters to cook without being shocked into being thrown into a pot of boiling water. The meat is much more tender, and all in all, the lobster is that much better!

You guys got any suggestions?

2. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

If the locals say it, then there must be something to it. Next time I have lobster, I'll try it. But...down heah in south Georgia, live lobster is mighty $$. I'll have to save up for about 6 months!

3. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

I have lulled them asleep in the warm water, and then turned up the heat.

Man! What a difference. The meat is so tender!

You need to try it for sure! It take a little longer, but heat the water up so it's warm, not hot, place the lobs in, and then turn up the heat and cover until it boils. The lobsetr should only boil until it's red, which is about 5 minutes.

I did four on Saturday, in a big pot, warmed water. It took about 30 minutes for the water to heat up enough where it boiled, but it was worth the wait!

4. noway

noway

Lobster ..... only if I could afford it. I pretty much avoid the shellfish due to the cost. Good fresh lobster are any where from $16.00 to $25.00 a pound. Ouch!

5. pizzaaguy

pizzaaguy

When preparing a lobster for the pot,
    I usually read them something from the
    OX & ALEX forum first. Put's 'em into
    a DEEP COMA! ;z

6. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Hahahahahaaaaaa!

7. nickg

nickg

the grocery store that we shop at had a sale recently on lobster tails. they weren't huge 1 pound tails but man they were only 88 cents each!! so we bought about 20 of them.

this past sunday we ate delmonico steaks on the grill and 10 tails....YUMMY!!!!!!!! :drool: :drool:

8. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Excellent...lobster!

This time of year (I'm learning all this too) is when the lobsters have soft shells, so once cooked, you don't need any tools to break the claws or anything...the shells just snap like a twig!

9. CZ-75A

CZ-75A

Probably South African Rock Lobsters, not that it really matters.

10. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

I prefer steamed. Proper steaming doesn't require such precise timing and generally results in tenderer lobster. Plus boiling washes out natural juices and flavors.

11. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Steamed is good too - but I like mine boiled. It kinda gets rid of all the gunk that leaks out - you know?

12. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Then I'm guessing you don't eat the tomalley.

13. maxxx93

maxxx93

As a lifelong New Englander and Lobster connoisseur, I'll let you in on a secret.

Right after the lobster molts (soft shell) the meat to shell ratio goes right down the tubes.
    The new shell is way huge for the size of the lobster, so that he can grow into it.
    You'll notice it as soon as you crack it open, what meat there is just falls out, and is puny compared to the size of the shell.

If you buy them just before they molt, (very hard shell) they will be packed with meat. much higher meat to shell ratio

So I hope you really like the ease of the soft shell, cause you pay a lot for it.;f

14. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

;g Umm..yeah..it was ok.

15. okie

okie GT Mayor

I love Lobster. Gonna have to buy one and cook it up sometime:cool:

16. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Have the lobster split and cleaned.

In a small saucepan, melt some sweet butter and add 1 tbsp. chopped fresh garlic until soft. Add some white wine, paprika, and a cup of seasoned bread crumbs.

Place the lobster shell up under the broiler for five minutes until the shell pinks up.

Flip lobster and fill cavity with bread crumb mixture then broil belly up for another five minutes.

Serve with baked potato and cole slaw.

17. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Wowowowowow. Sounds great. Next time you're up here, we'll have to host you!

18. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

It would be an honor to cook for you, sir!

19. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

How to kill a lobster:

Make sure the rubber bands around the claws stay on during this process, as you don't want to be dodging the claws while cutting up the lobster.

You must first cut it in half down the center. This job is one that is best left to a 10 inch chefs' knife, and one with a good deal of heft.

Step 1. With the lobster sitting where the tail curls towards the table, flatten it out and in one hand grasp the tail where it joins the body.

In the other hand, take the knife's point and aim for the place an inch or an inch and a half from between the eyes towards the tail. The blade of the knife should be facing away from your hand that is holding the tail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 2. Press the point of the knife into the head at that point until the point of the knife goes all the way through the lobster's head to the cutting board, then bring the blade down between the eyes to finish the cut of the head.
    This kills the lobster as quickly and painlessly as possible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Lobster Oreganata--sounds GREAT!! This is very similar to how I prepare lobsters, much better than boiled or steamed.

My only comment, split the lobsters yourself (as shown in seanmac45's post) over a sheet pan. Save the juices that come out, strain the juices and freeze them for instant lobster stock. By splitting the lobsters yourself, you can also save the coral (roe). The coral is yummy when lightly simmered in melted sweet butter!