Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am new to Glock. I recently purchased my first, a 27 gen4 for conceal carry. I've taken it to the range and put 400 rounds through it flawless and accurate love the trigger. Anyway now that I am comfortable with it and ready to replace my S&W 38 AirWeight for my carry. I tried loading the +1 round in the gun by manually loading the round in the barrel before inserting the magazine into the pistol. When doing it like this the slide will not fully close. It looks like the extractor is not grabing on the rim of the cartridge but is behind it and keeping the chamber slightly open. It will only fully close when the magazine is in the pistol and the round is picked up from the magazine. I fully disassembled the slide when I cleaned it and sure I reassembled correctly but before I start carrying the pistol or fire it I would like to know is this normal for Glocks or did I do something wrong? I have several different semiauto pistols and they all load the +1 without having to load it from the magazine.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Normal, Glock gives fairly strong warning about not manually loading a round into the chamber - only via a magazine.

The reason is how the gun functions. When a round is being loaded the barrel drops down, as the round starts into the barrel it's below the level of the extractor. As the slide moves forward and the barrel starts to rise the rim of the case slide up the face of the slide behind the extractor. The slide then finishes going into full battery.

If the round is first placed in the chamber then the slide dropped on it, you risk damaging the rim or chipping the extractor, either can result in a failure to extract.

It's also important (especially with .40 S&W) to not re-chamber the same round multiple times. Doing so can cause the bullet to set back into the case causing an overpressure when fired.

Reactions: DJ Niner

·
Super Moderator
20,205 Posts
The safest way to load and top-off your pistol is to insert a loaded magazine, chamber a round, remove the magazine, and either insert another fully-loaded magazine into the grip (the preferred method) or add one round to the first magazine (the same one you used to chamber the first round) and insert it into the pistol's grip.

The first method (2 mags) is usually preferred because you don't have to holster or lay the pistol down to top-off the magazine that is missing one round; you can keep the pistol in your hand, do all your loading, holster the pistol, and then top-off the mag that is missing a round. If you do it all with one magazine, at some point, you will need both hands to add the final round to the magazine, and that means temporarily letting go of the chamber-loaded pistol and then grabbing it to finish loading a few moments later. Whether you holster it, or lay it down and pick it up to finish the loading process, it's an extra step, and it extends the amount of time or number of times you have to handle a partially-loaded pistol, which increases the chances of an AD/ND, or of getting interrupted by a phone call or a person or your dog or whatever.

Some folks will holster the pistol with the chambered round, and then top-off the mag and snap the mag in place in the grip of the holstered pistol. While this method can work just fine, I'm not a fan of it, as I've seen too many people (at defensive-type pistol shooting competitions) not get the mag all the way in and locked into place (a full mag can be a very tight fit, and the position can be awkward), and then when they draw or start shooting, they either have a failure to chamber the second round, or the mag falls out of the pistol altogether. This is embarrassing at a competition, but MUCH more serious in a defensive encounter.

·
Registered
14,046 Posts
You can manually load a round onto chambers...and about any manual will advise against doing so due to liability...

BUT

Why waste a training opportunity? Just about everytime you handle your weapon is a training opportunity...

So I propose: Empty weapon holstered. Draw and present, acquire sight picture, bring back to "work space", load mag and make ready, reacquire "target". Bring back to work space, do a simulated Tac Reload, re acquire target, return to holster...top off the minus1 mag...

ps- dont "ride the slide"

·
Rifle Master
756 Posts
Always follow the safety rules even when training.

·
Registered
22,847 Posts
The only broken extractors I've ever seen is because of that. Do not load that way. Load from the magazine and then top it off

Reactions: rargos
1 - 6 of 6 Posts