close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Loading bench on carpet, ain't working out!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by atakawow, Apr 20, 2011.

1. atakawow

atakawow

I recently migrated the entire work station into our carpeted indoor basement due to the ball freezing temperature.

My press is set up on a flimsy computer desk. The press is screwed in nice and tight, however, there's not much support from the desk legs as it is positioned on top of the carpet. Every stroke of the lever sends the entire desk trembling. Seating primers requires me to use both hands, one to work the lever, the other to hold on to the desk for leverage as it moves too much.

I've tried stacking weights on top of the desk but that didn't do jack. I suspect the main problem is due to the flimsy legs. I don't plan on moving the work station outside again, it is way too comfortable in here. What can I do to rid of this problem? A new bench? Screwed to the wall? Help me out here!

2. fredj338

fredj338

Yeah, I don't think it's the carpet but the bench. It needs to be sturdy, a comp table isn't all that sturdy. A cheap steel bench from HD. Lowes, Sears, works much better.

3. 44terryberry

44terryberry

You can get a couple angle brackets on the back to screw it to the wall, but the front might still lift up when decapping a tuff case

4. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Toss the flimsey computer desk and build a real nice heavy duty wooden loading bench made to your specs and needs.

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

My bench is over carpet. I didn't think I was going to care and it wasn't planned like that but thats what I got. I think your issue is more the flimsy table. Get a solid bench, screw to the wall and then see what you got going on.

I put some snap together foam pads under the bench so it doesn't get the carpet dirty.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

LOL.. well, I hate being late to the show, but I think you've figured out by now that its not the carpet.

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Build a new bench in the butler's quarters, you probably didn't spend the money to carpet his floors.

Jack

8. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

The carpet will make a slight difference. Although the bench size is a major issue too. I alleviated the slight wobble issue being on the carpet with my new set-up with a single 5 inch L bracket bolted down through the top of the bench. I then had both my kids sit on top of it to add some preload to it and lagged bolted it to a stud through the wall. It's solid as a rock now.

[​IMG]

9. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

Go out into the back yard and put up a building say a 40x80 you might have extra room now but it will fill up. Heat it, AC it and you are good to go and don't forget the cable connections for the flat screen.

10. Memnok

Memnok

"No honey, that's not new, it's been there for quite some time now..." :rofl:

11. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

12. labdwakin

labdwakin

BG is right... BOLT THAT MUTHA DOWN!!! And get a heavier bench too...

13. njl

njl

Will bolting the back of the benchtop to the wall behind it really keep the bench stable during primer seating? I've got a nice sturdy bench, and it doesn't move at all that I've noticed during resizing, but it will move on the upstroke seating primers. I've gotten in th habit of holding the press with my left hand while seating primers. I know it's wrong...but I've gotten used to it, loading thousands of rounds this way. I'm not willing to rip up the carpet to anchor it to the floor...but I could drill into the wall (studs). Spackle and paint is much easier than repairing carpet.

14. Boxerglocker

Yes, it makes a big difference. Especially in the upstroke during seating. The corner angle and bolts cost me $8 total at home depot. Try is and you will see. Make sureyou preload it before you drive the lag bolts.

15. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

To anyone who has a carpet on a wooden subfloor, just drive screws through the bench legs on a 45* angle into the floor (toenailing). It will suck the bench right down compressing the carpet and padding and the bench will be rock solid.

16. njl

njl

Can you post an image or link to the sort of angle hardware you used?

17. Boxerglocker

[​IMG]

They look like this. Go to the Home Depot they have them in various sizes. I take that back... I used a 6 or 8 inch I belive.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  18. Kwesi

Kwesi

Or you could go to a garage sale and pick up an inexpensive dresser built out of particle board. Then fill some of the drawers with something heavy. Basically that is what I've done. I bolted the 550 to the top of the dresser, it sits on carpet BUT I did not bolt it to the floor or to the studs. I put 2,000 - 3,000 rounds of factory ammo in the drawers to keep it from wobbling...works great!

19. Boxerglocker

What happens when you go through or sell you factory ammo paper weight collection? :upeyes:

20. Kwesi

Kwesi

Replace it with my cache of reloads :supergrin: