loaded magazine

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by carolina, Mar 26, 2010.

1. carolina

carolina

I have been told that you should leave the last 2 slots in the magazine open when storing a loaded mag. They said this would save the spring. Any thought to this being true.

2. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

Not true. The cycling of the ammo is what causes the spring to relax. Store fully loaded and be happy.

3. MURRAY

MURRAY Millennium Member

WHO IS THEY?????? I leave mine fully loaded a few been that way for 10 plus years no issues so far

4. Dogguy

Dogguy

If you're "storing" the magazine, just leave it empty.

There are several schools of thought on this subject. Some say magazine springs don't weaken from being left loaded, others say you shouldn't leave them loaded all the time. My opinion (worth exactly what you're paying for it) is that the springs CAN eventually lose springiness if left loaded constantly, but I've also had four G19 magazines that continued to function through 18 years of regular loading, unloading, firing, etc, with never a failure. I finally replaced them just to prevent any future problems.

5. Strahley

Strahley

Keep 'em loaded to the brim. You aren't going to hurt them

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

As someone already said: It is the cycling and uncycling of the mag spring that weakens the spring. True with most any spring. I leave the ones (mags)loaded that I want to have around, and i leave them one short of full. In a year, if i have not shot them by then, I take them out and fire away, and start all over again. I replace the springs if I even smell something is not working right. Mine are loaded for carry, and I want to know all is well. I am not at all afraid to tell you, leave them loaded all you want to man. Just do not keep taking rounds in and out every night. This will weaken the spring. Tons of shooting eventually weakens the spring. The spring sitting loaded on the shelf or in the safe/ or night stand is fine ! ;)

CanyonMan

7. gapi

gapi NRA/GCO MEMBER

I spoke to an armorer at Glock Smyrna recently on the same subject and commented how the cartridges sometimes hit me on the nose. He commented the mag springs could contribute to this but only could be determined through testing or a process of elimination such as if the extractor was replaced and there was no change, and then the mag springs and it goes away etc, etc....

8. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

9. boomhower

boomhower

+1 I haven't been here long and have seen this way to much. Keep them loaded and rotate.

10. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

This article is "partly true." ;)

#1. You cannot really compare a 1911 mag spring from years ago to a spring in a Glock mag today. Sorry, it just ain't the same. Glock springs suck at best.

Yes, you can usually get by with a year + with a fully loaded Glock mag.

No, do not "toss the mag" as the article says, when you've done all else to fix a feeding problem... Duh, if you've done 'all else,' then "get a new factory mag spring." :faint: Or a Wolff X power mag spring.

CanyonMan

12. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Back in 2000 I misplaced a mag for a Ruger MK II loaded with 10 rounds later I found it(2008) and it was as good as new(the spring) during those years I had one where I underloaded 1 round and used frequenty it wore out.