Loaded 800 rds on a 1050 today.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colorado4Wheel, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

What I meant by that is to load 300 you don't even have to try Ron, thats a hundred every 8 minute plus, very easy no rush at all. If you push a little harder 100 every 6 minutes is doable. Until you actully experience it you'll never understand. Bear in mind that rounds per an hour is strictly based on having prefilled primer tubes... I load 3-7 tubes at a time prior.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. Popsmoke

Popsmoke

Regarding case feeding problems on a 650

When going from a tall case to a short case (or vs versa), remember that you have to turn the slanted plastic timer thingy around for a steep slant or a lower slant. It adjusts how far the feed pawl push's the brass case into the shell plate holder.

This stumped me for a while.

Sorry for the technical jargon.

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I hear ya. For me, I know I can be way faster with just the addition of having a robust casefeeder (one that doesn't cause more issues than it's supposed to fix). Having to let go of that handle every round to manually load another piece of brass (along with manually indexing) is what really kills my cycle time. But you're not doing me any favors... you're just making my decision harder. Why don't you just let me go ahead and get the 1050? :tongueout::rofl: (j/k btw)

About the primer tubes... I have 9 of them. I actually "pick up" an entire brick in one sitting (first 100 goes in the machine). I do that one evening when I'm doing some other brass work or something, then another night I'll sit down and load. I don't like interrupting loading to have to pick up primers.

4. Boxerglocker

GO AHEAD get the 1050... I will too one day if the rifle stuff gets to what I think is will around my parts. I'll run .223 on a 1050 keep the 650 for 9mm and .223 case prep.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

That was totally tongue in cheek. You just make it sound so much more reasonable to get the 650.

Heck... what I might do is buy the 1050 for 9mm, and then sell my 550B and get a 650 for the other stuff I load....

Wish I knew somebody who had both and I could load a couple thousand on each to see firsthand what it's like...

6. Boxerglocker

I know what you meant, I had the same arguement with myself... :wavey:

7. dudel

dudel

If I was going to dedicate a machine to a single pistol caliber; I think I'd just add a SDB.

8. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

My cases do not drop into station 1 every time. I am pretty sure I just need to play with it a bit until I understand how each adjustment affects each other.
    I think the Casefeed Arm is not aligning up 100%.

As to the caliber conversion prices your right I knew that going in. But when you want to buy several at the same time it just hits you. A year from now I won't care.

9. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

Make sure that the two screws holding the platform is on tight. Do you have an alignment tool? If not get one from Dillon. Do you have grease under the Station 1 Locator?
    Make sure that the indexer block is tight and that you have never removed it. If you have get the alignment tool for it also. Make sure the shell plate is installed right. Also mark the shell plate and see if it is the same one every time or not. If it is you might have a warped shell plate. I had one.

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Ron,

Get the 1050. You know you want it. You will always say "Why didn't I do it?"

If my income was more steady (not sales driven) I would own a 1050 for sure.

11. unclebob

No case feeder, to small of a work area. I do not believe it would hold up for the amount that some shooters would put through it. For large volume that some shooter do. 650 or 1050 is the only way to go.
    For the LNL I would give them at least 3 more years and see if they get the bugs worked out of the press and enough people that do large volume reloading have loaded on it for at least a year with no problems. With me just looking at the LNL and playing with it. There is no way that I would ever buy one.

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I would never have been happy with a SDB. So small. Feels cheap. I just don't like it. For someone who likes using custom dies it's just not a good option. Plus, it's no faster then a 550.

13. Boxerglocker

Good points from Bob...Also remember that case placement on 1 is dependant on having a primed case in station 2.

14. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Sounds complicated. I am glad I got a LnL instead.

15. Boxerglocker

Actually it isn't at all. The manual is VERY specific as to the adjustment order and sequence. Once you understand it. It's easy to check and adjust as required.

16. unclebob

The 650 is 100 times simpler than the LNL.

17. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

I'm holding my tongue because I'm sick and feeble at the moment.

Jack

18. kshutt

kshutt

I bet I know someone here you might be able to sell your 550 to. :whistling:

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I really can't believe you guys took my last comment seriously.

20. kshutt

kshutt

I didn't. Look above you for details. :supergrin: