Loaded 800 rds on a 1050 today.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colorado4Wheel, Mar 31, 2011.

1. phred119

phred119

If not pushing to prime is the main thing you're looking for, you could save yourself a ton of money and just buy a LoadMaster :whistling:

2. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

:rofl::rofl:

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I was gonna post that earlier, but given Steve's previous experience w/ the LoadMaster..lol, I don't think that is even on the radar.

4. kshutt

kshutt

I don't blame them. :supergrin:

5. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

You know what you want.

You know what you need.

If it feels good, just do it.

There is a Dillon Dealer near you...

6. dudel

dudel

I NEVER, EVER want to even try a 1050. If I do, I'm afraid one will show up at the door.

I find comfort in the fact that for the number of calibers I do, the caliber conversions would equal the cost of several 550b,

7. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I'll post my experience soon as I get some time .... got a call to work OT again thid weekend :steamed: Only had a couple of hours to get to my gear and start organizing to convert over and realized I better crank another 1000 of 9mm out first. Gimme a week I'll get to it.

8. alank2

alank2

Hi,

As much as I always want to try other presses, the 550 does all I ask of it. I'm even down to loading one caliber so I've told myself that a 650 or 1050 would be "ideal" since I won't have to do any caliber conversions, but that darn 550 just keeps on loading rounds... It must have been nice to run a 1050 for a bit!!

Thanks,

Alan

9. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I am managing to "get by" at this point doing similar planning. But I'd really like to be able to sit down for 30 minutes and get 500 cranked out, which is probably realistic with a 1050. So 2 hours (maybe spread into 4 30 minute sessions) yields 2000 rounds.

10. Boxerglocker

Even for a XL650 that's easy peasy Ron. I loaded 300 in 25 minutes this morning without trying.

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Agreed...

I imagine you could also do it on a properly functioning LNL as well... Heck if a LoadMaster worked properly, you could probably get really close to 500 in 30min. The big hangup w/ it would be refilling the casefeeder, which is considerably slower than the "motor" case feeds.

IGF

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Bit of a jump to say "300 in 25 minutes" to "500 in 30 minutes", isn't it? Not trying to argue, just saying.

Also... the 2000 per month is my quota for *now*. By next year I'll probably be shooting 3000 per month.... (it's an affordability thing, and I just got new job, salary bump, etc).
    \

13. norton

norton

I load 3 calibers principally. The .45ACP, the .45 Colt and .357. It seems to me the sensible thing would be to have three 550's, set up to load only one caliber permanently, rather then investing the same amount of money in a 1050.
    Then keep my single stage for the odd caliber I load once in a while. .44 mag, 9mm, .223 and .17.
    But watching the videos of the 1050 operate makes it the tool junkies dream.

14. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

New job. Just get the 1050. Then add a bullet feeder later. Reality is a bullet fed 650 will be faster then a hand fed 1050. But you can always add a bullet feeder to a 1050 later. It's sick. That is what Hozer has. Watching him pull that handle as fast as he could with both hands was a real eye opener. If I did that to my LnL I would need a blast suit to protect my body from the flying parts.

15. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

When I was writing my which press to by page I asked different people to load on there press and tell me what a honest one hour out put was. Markco from B.E. managed to load a little over 1100 with a 650. He does have a primer tube filler. Several people said they could do that with their 1050 without breaking out a sweat. Markco said that was definitely sweating. None of them were using a bullet feeder. So either a 650 or a 1050 will get you 500 in 30 minutes range. With a bullet feeder you should easily be in the 1600 + round an hour with either press.

16. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

A 650 with a bullet feeder will get you over 1,000 per hour. You might save some time not grabbing a bullet, but you still have to seat the primer.

A 1050 with a bullet feeder will get you around 2,000 an hour. I can easily run 2,800 per hour for the first 10-15 minutes. Then I drift down to 2,000-1,800.

17. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mark loaded 1100 in a hour without a bullet feeder!
    It would have to faster with a bullet feeder. Exactly how much fast it would be with a bullet feeder I can't tell you. But certianly more than his 1100 base line. I can't give you my baseline with a 650 yet as I haven't got all my bugs worked out and am not loading any ware near the ability of the machine.

18. Popsmoke

Popsmoke

I have one each of a 550, 650, and a super 1050.

My decision to get a 1050 was a hard one, but I pickup a lot of range brass. Cant help it, Im a scavenger - why buy what you can get for free?

The down side is: alot of the brass where I pickup is miliary and crimped. This really fouls up a 650. And, I shoot too much 223 to load it on 550.

The 1050 will swage the crimp right out of a 223 and you'll never notice it. And, I can load 1K of 223 in about 90 mins, including filling the primer tubes.

If you buy all your brass and can control it its crimped or not, then maybe you can get away with a 650.

But for me - the 1050 is dedicated to 223. Its a pain to change calibers on a 1050, though, once you do it a few times, its not that big.

The 650 I use for 9mm and 45 - changing the primer assembly from small to larger is not that big a deal. The rest of the caliber change is pretty similar to a 550. If you stay on pistol calibers then you dont have to chage the timing. I buy my 9mm and 45 brass so I buy swaged brass. (Picking up small brass is a PIA)

The 550 is mostly for 308. I scavenge 308 as well but I manually swage that brass.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  19. Boxerglocker

What are you having issues with the case feeder Mike?
    The case placement in station one is adjustable and dependant on case placement in station two (primer seating station).
    As for the caliber conversion prices you knew that going into it. However as others have attested the caliber conversion is the strength of the 650 if properly adjusted.

20. Popsmoke

Popsmoke

Thinking about rounds per hours ... - sorry, but I dont think this is a real good metric.

You have to stop to fill primer tubes every 100 rounds. Either by hand or have a primer filler. Either way, its not a good idea to race here to bring up the round count.

There invariably will be problems encountered that are not machine related. Have to pee, case is upside down, out of powder, mis-feed, change the music on radio, clear a jam.

Besides, who want to stand there and pull a crank a thousand times? I dont know about you, but I take a break every few hundred rounds or so. My arm gets worn out, and my back hurts from standing there.

If you dont count these influences, then your timing pulling a handle - and one machine is a fast as the next - but how fast can you pull an handle.

I think guaging a machines performance by the following is better:
    • How easy or hard to change caliber
    • How expensive to change caliber
    • Warranty - how to get support or replacement parts
    • How easy or hard to tune the machine / understand its workings
    • How easy or hard to clear a jam
    • How easy or hard to get out a shell to measure it or to check powder