close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LnL Powder measure help please...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by M4J0R T0M, Apr 2, 2010.

1. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

Hey guys, I am getting ready to load my first 50 rounds of .40 s&w. I have separated and inspected my brass, set my dies, loaded my primer tube, checked and double checked my load data, and worked up my powder charge. I have checked my charge at least 15 times, sorry just being a newb.

So here is my problem, I get my powder charge correct (4.6) grains of Titegroup. After all that checking my powder measure gets stuck at the top of its travel. And when I went to empty my powder back into the jug some of it was clinging to the sides of the measure from what looked to be static electricity. I could be wrong but static and gun powder could be a bad combo! I cleaned my measure per the factory instructions so I dont that is causing either problem. Anybody have any ideas?

2. DLebowski

DLebowski NRA Member

Here's my checklist -

Make sure you thoroughly degreased the powder measure cylinder and other moving parts.

lightly lube the outside of the cylinder. Make sure you don't get any inside where it can affect the charge.

Check the linkage, make sure it's not twisted or binding anywhere.

Maybe spray a bit of static guard inside the powder measure.

3. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Tom:

I'm not sure what you mean by the measure getting stuck at the top of its travel. If you mean it's bumping against the top of the cutout when the meter goes up, (as the ram goes up), you have the measure screwed in too far in the tool head. (Try to explain the problem so we can get you fixed up.)

If you just have a small amount of powder sticking to the side of the measure it's no big deal. If you want to do away with it just wipe out the inside with a dryer sheet. (If you want to leave the powder in the measure you can just rub the outside... it'll do away with a lot of the static.

Jack

4. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

Jack, I'll try to explain it better.

When you raise a case into the powder measure die it activates the measure and the ram actuates to the top of its travel. Mine actually does bump the top but it was getting stuck. In other words, when I would lower the ram the measure would get stuck at the top of its travel eventhough there was spring tension on the measure.

I think I figured it out though. I pulled everything apart and found some surface rust on the measure. Aparently I cleaned it off to well when I got it. I cleaned it with alcohol and put everything together. I guess being in the garage in the GA humidity took a toll on it. I applied some CLP very lightly to the friction areas and now its working but a little inconsistently. It will throw 4.6 to 5.0, is this a big deal?

5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Living up here six feet below God I sometimes forget that you flatlanders have to deal with rust. If you have a little bit of grease that might work better than the CLP... lass chance of it migrating into the powder but if it's working don't worry about.

You don't really want the powder meter actually hitting the top, screw out the measure until you can see just a sliver of light at the meter's full travel.

You'll probably get some inconsistent powder throws until the powder settles in the measure. Just keep throwing test charges until it throws consistent. It's normal, I have to do it every time I change powder. Make sure your baffle is all the way down at the bottom of the measure... it takes a little while for the powder to fill in under there.

Jack

6. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

It was throwing a repeatable charge and then I would check it every 10 rounds or so and it would be off. I would adjust it, throw 3 or 4 charges to even everything out and then measure the charge again.

I know some of my loaded rounds are going to be off a little, is this a big deal? Should I not shoot the ammo?

Here is a pic inside the powder measure after I dumped the excess powder back into the jug. I'm thinking maybe I didn't get it clean enough inside there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Tom:

Unless you're at a max or near max load don't worry about the ones you've loaded, they're not that far off. You're always going to get a little variation... lot of things going on when you throw a charge, how the powder has settled, how much powder in the measure, humidity level, how hard you run the ram, etc. Once you get into a rhythm, the powder is settled in, the measure is totally clean, etc., that measure will throw within a tenth of a grain pretty consistently.

You've got a little more powder sticking to the metal on the bottom than normal, (assuming you tapped it when you emptied it).

You probably didn't get it degreased as well as it should be... it's hard to get it cleaned by trying to get your hand down there unless you're Gumby and made of rubber.

Get a clean cloth, if you haven't gotten any One Shot yet just dampen it with your alcohol, push the rag down into the measure with a rod and twirl it around. Get it as clean as you can, get all the oily film out and you should be good to go. Make sure you took your rotor apart and cleaned it real well to. (Oil and powder don't get along well together.)

When you're sure it's clean dump your powder in and drop a bunch of test charges just to make sure everything is clean and dry.

Don't worry, this is the only time you have to do it... if you do it right. :supergrin:

Jack

Oh, BTW... good picture.

8. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

Thanks, but the the credit goes to the camera. I just hit the button. I think I'll clean it out real well once more.

9. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

Just wanted to update the thread in case anybody else is having the same issues. I got some Hornady One Shot today and that did the trick. I guess I should have just listened to what the guy on the video said in the first place.

10. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

After you get your powder measure too throw what you want. Load ten cases, except do not add the bullet. Size and prime the case and add powder. Then weigh all ten powder throws. Then divide by 10. This well give you a better average of what you are throwing.

11. CaptJim

CaptJim Lifetime Member

Hi Tom,

Just food for thought from a fellow LNL AP user.

If you are'nt loading a lot of heavy loads, using the large capacity of the Hornady measure, you might enjoy the simple operation of the Lee Pro Auto Disk measure. It also uses a powder through expander system. The whole rig is small, very easy to deal with and inexpensive. There are enough cavity combinations for most handgun and light rifle loads, and you will be amazed at the repeatability. IMHO, it is worth a look.

I have not used my Hornady measure since I decided to try the Lee on the suggestion of another reloader.

Jim

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  12. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

I have it working pretty good now, but thanks for the heads up. Do you have any links to a good price on the Lee measure?

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Midway.... http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=348753

It doesn't operate like a traditional powder measure though, where you can make fine adjustments. However, it's quite accurate.

IGF

14. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

Exactly. But don't feel bad - i did the same thing, trying to use alcohol and spray teflon lube and brake cleaner, etc. It just made a bigger mess.

OneShot is absolutely the best product for this purpose that I have found. And the only place you want CLP is possibly under the shell plate where the ball bearings roll over the subplate. Getting it on on the powder measure is absolutely going to cause problems at some point.

thorn

15. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

I'm having this same problem with my RCBS measure. I've scoured forum after forum, and have completely tore down, cleaned, and re-assembled my powder measure several times now. I've tried everything from rubbing alcohol, to dryer sheets, to Hornady One Shot. All to no avail.:crying:

For those of you using the HOS, can you tell me where I need to spray the stuff? And do I leave the stuff on to dry, or wipe it all down?

This is all the leftover powder that I can't shake or tap loose. This is after all the cleaning, and I can't get it to do any better than this. The powder is H110, if that helps.

[​IMG]

16. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

You didn't spray HOS inside the plastic sleeve, did you?

thorn

17. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

No, I did not. :supergrin: