close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LNL Powder Baffle Height

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by buyobuyo, Feb 28, 2010.

1. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

I'm just getting around to putting the powder baffle in my LNL AP measure. I'm just curious what height you all run your's at? I'll be loading almost exclusively 9mm with ball powder.

Thanks.

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Just drop the baffle into the measure, (top of the 'V' facing up obviously) and it will slide to the bottom.

After you add your powder spend some time tapping the side of the measure so the powder flows through the two cutouts and fills the void under the baffle. Add more powder, drop a bunch of test charges and you're good to go.

Jack

3. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

So it's supposed to go all the way down? I was guessing it should be up a bit like on the Lyman 55 and spread the V a bit, so I can set it anywhere. Oh well, maybe I'll see how it works how it as and adjust down if needed.

4. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

I don't use a baffle in my LNL. Haven't seen a need for one.

thorn

5. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

You may want to give it a try. They almost always provide better consistency. They work by minimizing and uniforming the weight of the powder column directly above the rotor. This allows the rotor to fill the same every time. Without a baffle the powder charge will be more compact when the hopper is full compared to when the hopper is low. For example, I was loading some rounds the other day at a friends shop using an old #55 without a baffle. When I started loading, I had it set to about 45 grains. When I decided to refill the hopper it was throwing 44.2 grains fairly consistantly. :faint: Since I was loading rounds for high power matches and trickling to the final weight that I wanted, it didn't matter to me but it is a good example.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  6. dudel

dudel

Open part of the "V" down, and all the way to the bottom.

7. Rick from Kali

Rick from Kali