Glock Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm pretty much a lever action guy and a bolt gun guy. But in the last few months a few friendly gun owners at the range have been quite kind and allowed me to shoot their black rifles!:cool: I had a blast and it was quite nice not having to pull the bolt back to fire another round and the accuracy was close to my bolt guns! I shot a Bushmaster,Del-Ton,LMT and a LaRue all in 5.56!

I absolutely loved the LaRue and the LMT! The LaRue shot tighter groups for me but the difference was minimal. I shot the LaRue OBR but have heard there is a cheaper version called the Predator? Can someone explain the difference between the two? I ask because I heard the Predator is around $1500 and the OBR $2000 and the LMT is around $1700.

If I get the Predator am I losing something major over the OBR? May sound like a dumb question but I'm really green when it comes to AR's.:supergrin:

Thanks for any and all replies!

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
The prices you quoted for the OBR and PredatAR are for the 5.56 versions. Add $1,000 for the .308 versions.

The PredatAR has a lighter/thinner barrel, different handguard design, and no built-in cant on the top rail for optics. An acquaintance of mine in NC recently picked up a PredatAR in 5.56, and was shooting sub-MOA groups with brown tip, and just over 1MOA with green tip at 100 yards.

The .308 OBR has shot sub-MOA groups at 1,000 yards in testing. I also know some military types that have tested it, and made hits on 42" poppers at longer distances. To top it all off, 3 or the 4 rifles used by the top 2 overall teams at the 2010 International Sniper Competition at Ft. Benning, GA were all .308 OBRs. The top overall team used a pair of them - 20" and 16" barrels, if I remember right. Rumor is that the OBR is part of the reason the 2011 match required a standard set of weapons for all competitors.

For accuracy, you are going to have a very hard time beating an OBR, be it 5.56 or .308. The .308 model will (obviously) have more reach than the 5.56, but will cost significantly more.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The prices you quoted for the OBR and PredatAR are for the 5.56 versions. Add $1,000 for the .308 versions.

The PredatAR has a lighter/thinner barrel, different handguard design, and no built-in cant on the top rail for optics. An acquaintance of mine in NC recently picked up a PredatAR in 5.56, and was shooting sub-MOA groups with brown tip, and just over 1MOA with green tip at 100 yards.

The .308 OBR has shot sub-MOA groups at 1,000 yards in testing. I also know some military types that have tested it, and made hits on 42" poppers at longer distances. To top it all off, 3 or the 4 rifles used by the top 2 overall teams at the 2010 International Sniper Competition at Ft. Benning, GA were all .308 OBRs. The top overall team used a pair of them - 20" and 16" barrels, if I remember right. Rumor is that the OBR is part of the reason the 2011 match required a standard set of weapons for all competitors.

For accuracy, you are going to have a very hard time beating an OBR, be it 5.56 or .308. The .308 model will (obviously) have more reach than the 5.56, but will cost significantly more.
Thank you!

I just looked up LaRue and lo and behold they have a Predator in .308 I wonder if it is as accurate as the OBR in .308?

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
Thank you!

I just looked up LaRue and lo and behold they have a Predator in .308 I wonder if it is as accurate as the OBR in .308?
Accuracy will be very similar for slow fire. However, the thinner PredatAR barrel will heat up faster, and will cause the groups to open up faster than the OBR.

·
NRA Benefactor
74 Posts
450 I have a Stealth and DMR in 5.56 16" Midlength both. I'm amazed at
their accuracy, particularly the Stealth. Dime groups at 100 yards over the
bench all day long out of both. Done a lot of business with Larue over the
years and I consider them 2nd to none.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Can't go wrong...would like a .308 but a bit spendy @ this time

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a predatAR on order right now. Should be shipping before Christmas. Another key difference WoodenPlank hasn't mentioned is that the OBR Lite has an adjustable gas block while the predatAR does not. So if you ever plan on shooting suppressed I would go with the OBR.

The predatAR was designed for hunting or gaming. Short bursts of accurate fire and a break for the pencil barrel to cool down. It's light enough to carry around in the woods, but accurate enough to still make critical shots.

The OBR's heavier barrel means you can shoot longer and harder, like in a carbine class, and still keep very tight groups. There is also the 10 MOA in the top rail on the 5.56 and 20 MOA on the 7.62.

One thing that you might want to keep in mind in making your decision is that they are supposed to be making the predatOBR hybrid right now and release it after SHOT Show. It's a predatAR with the OBR's barrel and gas block in 14.5" with a pinned muzzle device. Check ARFCOM's Larue forum for tons of extra information, or you can ask here.

For my money, you can't beat the predatAR for $1500, FWIW.

CM

·
12,970 Posts
If you won't be running the gun hard (lots of rounds, all the time, in a hurry) the PredatAR will do just fine.

If you will (classes, military, LE), the OBR will take a hammering and still shoot sub minute. During testing one OBR shot around a thousand rounds of 7.62 surplus rapid fire, as fast as it could be loaded pretty much. I think the bolt was wiped down once?

Shot sub minute before. Still shot sub minute after without any cleaning other than the bolt wipedown.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Chris Costa was running a Larue PredatAR 14.5" with the OBR barrel to get away from the 10 moa rail. Of course that was 5.56", but there may be hybrids like that coming out next year from Larue, if enough people ask :whistling:.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you won't be running the gun hard (lots of rounds, all the time, in a hurry) the PredatAR will do just fine.

If you will (classes, military, LE), the OBR will take a hammering and still shoot sub minute. During testing one OBR shot around a thousand rounds of 7.62 surplus rapid fire, as fast as it could be loaded pretty much. I think the bolt was wiped down once?

Shot sub minute before. Still shot sub minute after without any cleaning other than the bolt wipedown.
Excellent!
I would do just fine with the PredatAR but I believe I'm going to go with the OBR in both calibers. :supergrin:

I'm going to start shooting 3-gun once a month and the OBR sounds like a winner!
Now to inform the wife of the news after I place my order with LaRue that is! :whistling:

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
Excellent!
I would do just fine with the PredatAR but I believe I'm going to go with the OBR in both calibers. :supergrin:

I'm going to start shooting 3-gun once a month and the OBR sounds like a winner!
Now to inform the wife of the news after I place my order with LaRue that is! :whistling:
Just wait till you add in the cost of quality glass to top those rifles off! :wow:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wait till you add in the cost of quality glass to top those rifles off! :wow:
I have a safe full of quality scopes already for my bolt guns. I do need a couple LaRue mounts though and a RDS. Still trying to decide between Aimpoint and Eotech?

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
I have a safe full of quality scopes already for my bolt guns. I do need a couple LaRue mounts though and a RDS. Still trying to decide between Aimpoint and Eotech?
If you are going to run magnified optics, I would go with an Aimpoint micro on a 45 degree offset mount. Makes it very easy to transition between the two.

If you just want a non-magnified optic as a primary, then I would get the Micr or Aimpoint PRO with a LaRue mount. However, the built in cant of the OBR may not be a good match to a non-magnified optic.

Also, if you go with the standard OBR, make sure you order the correct mounts from LaRue. Since the OBR top rail already has a downward cant, adding a mount with built-in cant could cause too much offset in your scope. LaRue sells mounts specifically for the OBR that have 0 MOA built in to the mount.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are going to run magnified optics, I would go with an Aimpoint micro on a 45 degree offset mount. Makes it very easy to transition between the two.

If you just want a non-magnified optic as a primary, then I would get the Micr or Aimpoint PRO with a LaRue mount. However, the built in cant of the OBR may not be a good match to a non-magnified optic.

Also, if you go with the standard OBR, make sure you order the correct mounts from LaRue. Since the OBR top rail already has a downward cant, adding a mount with built-in cant could cause too much offset in your scope. LaRue sells mounts specifically for the OBR that have 0 MOA built in to the mount.
Excellent! Thank you for the info!

I figure I will run one of my Schmidt and Bender scopes on my .308 and a Aimpoint on my 5.56.

Plan on taking the .308 out to 800 meters and maybe a little further to 1000?

The 5.56 will be for my coyote eradication program and killing paper targets!:supergrin:

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
Excellent! Thank you for the info!

I figure I will run one of my Schmidt and Bender scopes on my .308 and a Aimpoint on my 5.56.

Plan on taking the .308 out to 800 meters and maybe a little further to 1000?

The 5.56 will be for my coyote eradication program and killing paper targets!:supergrin:
Then I would suggest the OBR in .308 with an 18-20" barrel, and the PredatAR in 5.56 with a 16" barrel. With 168gr SMK, you should be able to reach 1,000 with the .308 - so long as the shooter is capable, and weather is decent. The PredatAR in 5.56 will cut down on the overall weight, and will be a little better host for an Aimpoint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.