close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Living South-east of San Antonio ?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geofri, Mar 17, 2013.

1. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Slightly less than ghetto will cost about $800/month

2. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

I sell drilling fluid additives that go down hole for a very small family owned company.

3. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Hiring?:supergrin:

No but really..

4. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

If you have a CDL you will be working as soon as the paper work clears. If you have a CDL with a Haz Mat endorsement, you will probably be working before then :rofl:

Seriously. There are jobs here. You can find work starting as soon as you get here. Just know, if you are going to play the Eagle Ford game, The work you will find will be hard work...and there is no where to live. (massive housing shortage in the Eagle Ford) and again, if you have a CDL...you are good to guy.

Private Corrections is also pretty much always hiring. (GEO group in particular in these parts) The pay is crap and the work is crap but it is a job that someone that can pass a background check can pretty much turn on right away.

I have a lot of employable skills, experience and education but if worst came to worst, the best safety net I have is to be found on a dealership lot. I could land pretty much anywhere in the country and within a day have a job slinging cars...and I would make money at it. (I wouldnt stay, but I would use it to get me to "the next thing") All things considered though, the scenerio where that would happened/was the option I was facing is fairly ludicrous....but, it is still in my bag of tricks.

Build the biggest bag of tricks you can. When you have lots of good options, what you do is fairly arbitrary.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  5. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Also to add, I see signs at the local BBQ chain (Rudy's...which isnt bad) that "Help is wanted" all the time and the numbers are not bad. I have seen 12-15 and hour, start now!

You can live on 12 bucks an hour in San Antonio. Not well...but you can get by and have your own place. ( you can actually make it, alone, in San Antonio on 10 bucks an hour...again though, it would suck)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  6. geofri

I actually always wished I could take a whack at car sales.. but I am just not a car guy.. and know little to nothing about them. ( If that makes any sense at all..)

I have been working on that bag of tricks.. it does feel good to have fall backs in place. I have two different employers who have told me to come straight back to them if plans don't work down south.

I have ~5 years of food service experience.. so my first fall back would probably be to hit up some restaurants. Also have some construction and landscaping experience.

That's great to hear. I can live on the cheap, and make that work.

I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of just showing up down there with no solid plans. Been wanting a good adventure for a while now!

I wouldn't have thought about this half as much if I didn't have some student loan obligations to take care of.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  7. dudel

dudel

Really like Texas. Have some family there. Bought our retirement home in Boerne a few months ago, bought some investment real estate this past weekend. Great place.

8. bamacisa

bamacisa

I really like Texas...lived there for twelve years (my daughter, son in law, and grand kids still live there (Wylie) I especially like north Dallas. I lived in the valley area for
    about five years. There are lots of jobs there. You must find the one that best for you.
    San Antonio area has a lot to offer Good luck.

9. kbm54

kbm54 GTDS Lifetime Member

I went to Houston for two weeks and hated it, hope that helps. :wavey:

ETA: And you know I can help. I didn't realize you were a certified weld inspector; what sort of certification exactly?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  10. Shinesintx

Shinesintx

He's dead serious about the toobing. I have a few college buddies that grew up near the river. We're in out 40s and still go toobing.

11. ezthumper

ezthumper

I work in Houston, but I do not live in Houston, I actually live about 30+ miles South West of Houston.

no hubub out here. nice a mellow.

12. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

13. BEER

BEER bad example

14. geofri

Thanks guys, nice to hear more good stuff.

:rofl: I really hated to admit it, but Houston just wasn't really attractive to me. I didn't see a whole lot of it, but what I did was just like kinda blah..

Yes sir, Certified Pipeline Weld Inspector, CPWI™
    Got a diploma for the wall, and a gold pin for my lapel! :supergrin:

I am making a stop in 'Bama on the way, and as it stands, no itinerary or end destination is concrete..

:rofl: I looked it up on youtube. The water must rise a few degrees over ambient temp..*coughpeewatercough*

Good to know. Might end up inside city limits to start, but I'll be looking for "no neighbor property" asap!

15. kbm54

kbm54 GTDS Lifetime Member

Are you good with ISO's?

16. geofri

Nope. Wasn't even introduced to them in my course.

Went over a few basics of image quality, and density, but basically a big fat No.:whistling: