close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Living South-east of San Antonio ?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geofri, Mar 17, 2013.

1. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Meh, if the OP plans on getting into the Oil Patch he will be around more Rednecks than Mexicans/Hispanics...

2. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

I went to high school for a couple of years in San Antonio and I worked at a restaurant on the Riverwalk when I was in college there, after the Army. I love that city. I love the culture there and it is more than just Mex and Tex-Mex. the SA area has a large German cultural presence. It is a vibrant and diverse area. No town parties quite like San Antonio. Fiesta Week rocks. I have a lot of fond memories of that city. Eric

3. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    No, they refused to pay.:supergrin:

4. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

Another thing to look out for is inverse racism. It's rampant. You have to use that to your advantage. I can't explain it but it helps if you speak Spanish. I mean REAL Spanish and not the Tex-Mex "Spanglish" that is what is spoken here as a result of the pathetic education system. They have literally showered south TX with Fed monies and the ignorance is staggering if not mind numbing to say the least.

Be prepared to be angered. Why? You will see LOTS of Latinos with grocery carts filled to the gunwales with delicacies and pay for it with a SNAP card (Fed. Assistance) and then hop in a huge new SUV with Mexico plates. :steamed: 99% of the people you open a door for will not say "thank you." They also drive like old people make love as well. :faint:

I often cringe when I think that this is the future of a Balkanized USA coming soon. Here it is like Colonial Africa after the Brits withdrew. Corruption, chaos & ignorance reign supreme and all subsidized by the American taxpayer.

5. BEER

BEER bad example

if you want german culture you need to get closer to fredricksburg and new braunsfels.

and don't worry about your height, i am 5'10 and i can part the brown seas like moses with a good scowl most times. besides, if you're some giant white boy you might scare off the mamasitas and that is most definitely not something you want to do. trust me! them girls will straight up put a hurt on you in a good way both in bed and in the kitchen.

regardless of all that, once you get down here take a weekend and go toobin down the comal or the gaudalupe river. again, trust me.

if you get the chance avoid any major roads and take back ways just for the scenery.

don't be afraid to stop and eat at roadside food stands that look worse than most places you'd walk your dog, that's where the best food is, especially bbq.

6. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Indeed, I didnt really get to the kickass stuff.

San Antonio does the block party on an epic scale...and the City sponsers it. We like to close down parts of town, or a University campus (oyster bake...mmmmmm) and get tore the hell up.

The Texas Hill Country is about the most amazing place on Earth. It is indeed German influenced. Some of that food is a beautiful thing and so is the beer. Go to places like Fredricksberg, pick a fine place, get some beer and get tore the hell up.

If you dont know what toobing or tubing is....you will and it will change the way you think about summer. The river systems we have here are real lazy and fairly scenic. This makes for an amazing way to spend the day and get tore the hell up.

Cowboy nightlife (really redneck and Tejano nightlife) is a thing of beauty. The women are quite tasty and of course, you get some beer and get tore the hell up.

Downtown San Antonio is really interesting. The River Walk is a sight to behold and the Alamo is humbling. You can wander around the River Walk all night long while drinking and getting tore the hell up.

Year round golf on amazing courses

Year round motorsports (we never have to winterize anything) and we have some wicked fine motorcycle roads.

Lake fishing everywhere

Lake boating everywhere

Of course, you are just 2 hours from the Gulf and there are some real wonderful places to be found there.

You are 2 hours from Mexico. That used to be epic. Heading down to the boarder for a night was something we did...a lot but not so much anymore. It is a real war zone now.

We dont have mountains but there are some rolling hills.

People are fairly tolerant here.

Most major music tours stop here, we are the 7th largest city in the country and about the 25th largest metro area.

Texas has pretty good gun laws and people "get" guns here. Everyone has one.

Texas has some libertarian leanings and I think it is getting stronger.

A man with an ok and average honest job can buy a little land with a little home on it if he wants. You wont live in the middle of town but you dont have to go that far out.

If you want to find trouble...there is plenty of it but if you dont go looking for it, things are pretty smooth here.

Fiesta Texas.

Sea World.

Lots of city parks

Some of the most impressive gun shows you have ever seen...and a lot of them. We have a major gun show every month, and ultra major gun show every 4 months and little shows here and there as well.

We are starting to get a nice little collection of brew pubs (if you are into that, I am)

Mexicans like Metal (I like metal) thus we have a little Metal scene here.

If you know where to look, there is good food of all kinds...but again, not a lot of it, you have to know where to look. There is a Mexican place to eat on every corner, and another Mexican place on top of that, while a Mexican roach coach follows you everywhere you go. When you get home, you will find that someone opened a Mexican place in your driveway. I crap you not...you'll see, remember, everryone here is fat...even our commercials joke about it. "My ring doesnt git anymore...might have something to do with being close to Mexican food...."

And much much more.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  7. BEER

BEER bad example

i mentioned it and rabbi mentioned it. now i want to expound on it.

"toobin" involves you and as many friends as you can muster takiing off friday afternoon after work and heading for whatever campground or chunk of property you can find as close to the river as possible. once there you set up camp, get comfortable and you start drinking.

saturday morning you wake up hung over, gather everybody up and head for the tube rental station. everybody pays for their personal tubes, you all pool your money for however many cooler tubes you need, and you get on the shuttle. the shuttle then takes you down to the drop off point along the river.

once there you load your coolers into the cooler tubes and float them. then you and your friends all stand around for 15 minutes daring each other to be the first one into the water knowing that even though it looks perfect it is going to be colder than a witches tit in a brass bra. after 15 minutes one of you will shove one of the others into the water and chaos will ensue until you are all settled into your tubes with beers in hand. yes it really is acceptable to start drinking at 8-9am on a toobin trip. actually it's expected if not encouraged.

for the next 3-6 hours you will float down a river at the mercy of mother nature while getting plastered, meeting new people, possibly dodging illegal substances, and discovering that Texas has cops in hip waders with blunted gaff hooks and pellet guns stationed along said rivers. (yes they will shoot your tube and pull you out of the river if you are a complete idiot) or so i've heard. :whistling:

after this grand adventure you will reach your pick up point where you will get out of the river ( most likely inebriated and very very sunburnt) where a shuttle will pick you up and take you back to your original campsite where you will shower, eat, and maintain your buzz while you hang out and meet even more new friends. if you're hardcore you'll start the whole thing over again sunday morning and leave for home once you hit camp at the end of the day, but that takes a special kind of dumbass. ask me how i know. lol

now don't get me wrong, "toobin" is a family affair so you can drink as little or as much as you want, BUT, it is also a college kid/adult thing. (typically the comal river is more family oriented while the gaudalupe is more college kids/partying adults)

regardless of how you want to go about it, a toobin weekend in Texas is something you really should experience at least once in your life.

8. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Rabbi:
    Do you recommend this "getting tore the hell up"

Beer:
    I don't know If I should believe you about this "toobing " thing you speak of..

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. geofri

*I hope my short response didn't indicate a lack of interest or appreciation. Read both your replies twice over. I am interested. A lot.

Both of you make it sound like The Place To Live.

I've let my mind wander, and I'm already loosing worth ethic, and thinking about the 60-90hr workweeks that I'll most likely find.. I'm not sure I'll be able to fit work into my schedule of toobing, being torn, and snake hunting, and mamasitas .. :ROFL:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  10. geofri

That was a napoleon dynamite reference, if you didn't catch it.

Meh.. I'm used to seeing food stamp abuse. happens here too.

Now the Spanish... I took a summers worth of lessons, and spanish l in college, but I'd need to learn from scratch pretty much.. I've forgotten just about all of it.

11. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

You'll get lots of practice with your maid.

12. geofri

:rofl:

Not sure about that.. although maid service is probably pretty cheap?

Any idea on a rough number one could expect to pay for renting a one bedroom apartment, or even a small 1-2 bedroom house in a "non-ghetto" area?

13. geofri

:cool: That's what I want to hear. I have some more looking-into to do, but I've read of at least one guy who does a lot of shore diving around Corpus Christi.. so there is hope!

Gonna be a while before I can afford a boat.

What about redneck mexicans?

Sweet. This is really sounding like a cool place!

14. BEER

BEER bad example

that'll be about right, we have a pretty stiff work ethic down here in Texas, and you will probably wind up working for weeks straight some times, BUT, when you do finally get some time off there is absolutely no shortage of fun or trouble to be had no matter what your tastes are.

if you want to work your ass off and then party your ass off we have a spot for that. if you want to work your ass off and then just weigh down a hammock and watch the world go by we have a spot for that too.

as far as "play time" goes the Texas speedometer goes from 0 to 60 however fast you want it to.

15. geofri

That sounds just perfect! :wavey:

16. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Unemployment was bad here before the whatever-they're-calling it now, so it didn't actually get worse for South Texas. With Eagle-Ford, it actually improved some (except sales tax revenue is way down).

If you look at cost of living index, San Antonio is 1.0, most major cities are a little or a lot higher - and Corpus Christi is actually lower.

17. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

Eagle Ford worker here 3 nights a week. The paychecks are nice. New Braunfels the rest of the time. Life is good. ;)

18. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Also, when he Eagle-Ford jobs slow down, there'll probably be a price drop o lots of small rural vacation properties. Cycle we've seen before.

19. geofri

1.0..what scale is that?
    All the cost of living websites i've seen have higher numbers.. San Antonio, is a "95.7" on infoplease.com.

What exactly do you do, if you don't mind sharing?
    3 nights.. you work part time, or do long shifts?

hmm.. by then maybe I'd have enough cash saved up to buy some property:cool:

20. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Don't come down with "no job" unless you've got 6 months living expenses ready to spend looking for that job. If you have a valuable skill or credential, you'll find something fairly soon.