GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View: https://youtu.be/wqKfL3z5yM4

New insights from study of people age 90 and above
Six years after our initial report, Lesley Stahl visits surviving members of the 90+ Study and finds out what scientists have learned from following the study's participants.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/long-life-retirement-community-60-minutes-2020-11-22/
Pretty interesting study. Moderate alcohol use was good. Moderate daily exercise was good- 45 mins a day was best and didn't have to be all at once. Coffee was okay- 2-3 cups.

·
Director of civil unrest
9,216 Posts

·
Registered
75,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well then, I'll live to be a hundred! I tick all the boxes.
Once a person is elderly, don't be skinny and frail. A little weight is good per the study.

·
Registered
75,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
My issue with increases in the life span is that some researchers dream of science enabling people to live say 30 yrs longer than now.

Basically, that's a horror story and I hope it doesn't happen. Why you might ask? People today generally think of retiring at around 60-65. What happens due to a longer life span? There will likely be very limited upward mobility in jobs, highly successful older people will occupy the best paying jos and others will be stagnant in the trenches. Instead of working for say 40 yrs, you now get to work for 70 yrs. We already have enough slugs who simply don't want to work and think others ought to pay for their parasitic lifestyle. Nothing but problems along with overcrowding.

Let's focus only on improving the quality of life, not the quantity. Don

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
Longevity runs in my family. Many made it into the 80's and some into the mid 90's. Most were active and drank in moderation, I'm talking like one or two drinks a day.

One grandfather and great grandmother made it to 94 and both were a teetotalers. My mother and one uncle made it into their 90's and both drank in moderation. Both grandmothers made it into the late 80's. Several aunts and uncles also into made it into their 90's.

Cancer got dad young, he was only 61.

·
Caffeinator
5,404 Posts
Imagine if every one of us on this forum lived to be so old we were all put in an elder-care facility together.

Now imagine the living hell of trying to moderate all of us in that facility. Would they have a room designated for Political Issues? Would Russ take our dentures away for seven days if we get too feisty? If so, what would Russ do with dozens of sets of dentures at the same time? Would Von Hayes be the orderly who smuggles in liquor and fast food for us?

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
4,299 Posts
At age 74, I'm having a great time and have everything I need. I'm comfortable, positive, have pretty good health, friends and good neighbors. As soon as my eyes get squared away, things will be pretty good!

Still, the idea of living until my 90's is as appealing as a turd in a punch bowl! I'm ready to move on to find out what happens next!

Flash

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My father is 90 and my mom is 87. Both still drive and are very sharp. Dad is the only one left out of 11. They have both had the rona with no problems. My father gave a speech before the prayer on Thanksgiving talking about what a scam has been put on the American people.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts