Living and dying, two stories of being shot, by a .45 auto and .22

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bunk22, Oct 5, 2010.

1. bunk22

bunk22

Maybe some read this magazine, Personal Defense, as I just picked it up and read a section on some California shootings, real stories. The story that caught my attention was about a teenage girl shot 4 times in the chest with 230gr .45 auto at close range, less than 5 feet. She walked half a block and called the police after the fact. Only damage other than scarring was a collapsed lung. She never lost consciousness either. The bullets all passed through her without doing damage. Oh yeah, she weighed between 100-105lbs. My CCW is a Kimber UC II .45 ACP though I use self-defense rounds and not ball ammo. Makes you think though.

Then in another story, a home intruder is shot by a single .22 round and falls dead with the bullet lodged in his heart. You just just never know.

2. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

Shot placement is key.

3. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

No matter what the caliber.

Use what you got. If it aint working, keep shooting!!

Rod

4. Harvick

Harvick

People have fallen out of airplanes w/o a chute and lived too. Not to start a caliber war, however, my wife works in the surgery dept. of a hospital in a major metro area.... Not many come in with .45cal. wounds, much less 4,..... just sayin':whistling:.

5. Samned2003

Samned2003

There is a deputy here in East Tennessee that was shot 7 times with a 45 acp at point blank range. He had a long road back but I think he is back on the job.

6. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

As usual when the thread like that shows up I would say that there is no golden rule.
    Much depends on individual that being shot, his emotions, physical and mental condition.
    There is no such popular handgun round that may cause a damage so serious that one shot in the chest area UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES will drop the human dead.
    If there will be such round the person who discharged such round would be dead or nearly dead as well.
    Only shot into the head with the massive damage to the brain may guarantee one shot drop...but try that in the real life scenario.
    Amount of the damages caused by the rifle, but ESPECIALLY the shotgun may drop dead nearly everyone instantly though.

7. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

Shot placement is everything. If you can place a shot better with a .22 than a .45, that's a good guess as to what you should use. (within reason) Always use what you shoot the best.

8. ray9898

ray9898

The biggest factor in killing with a handgun....luck.

I have seen people take several large caliber shots to the area that is instructed as the "vital area" of the torso who did not die, I have seen others die from a single small caliber shot.

Shot placement in the vital areas with a handgun gives a good chance is stopping someone. However, the luck comes into effect in finding one of those "off switches" inside the vital area. That is what shuts the body down.

9. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Yeah I worked on a case once where the victim was a 125lb crack ho who got shot by a .45 dead into the sternum at point blank. Walked a 1/4 mile to a Sheetz store and was crazy as hell until paramedics arrived and took her to the hospital. She was in court 7 days later to testify at the preliminary hearing. :shocked:

10. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Like others said, it's all about shot placement.

11. AA#5

AA#5

I forgot which gun writer said it but in an article about stopping power, he said,

"The only guaranteed one-shot manstopper is a grenade down the front of the pants."

12. S.McGaven

S.McGaven

just like the guy in florida that was happily beating an officer to death and took like 4 or 5 shots from a p220 to the midsection until the CCWer finally put one in his head. and even then, for a brief second the guy seemed to be struggling to stand up until he expired.

i watched a hospital video of some guy that took a shotgun blast to the chest. you could see his sternum was basically disintegrated but his heart was visible, and pumping unharmed. im sure he died not too long after but it was crazy to see the one in a million in terms of surviving a point blank shotgun blast to the chest.

13. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

You can die either when You nervous system will shut down because of the shock caused by the instant damage to the body/brain or because You will bleed yourself to death and finally Your heart will stop pumping the blood because of the low blood pressure (it may take a long time though).
    It's not that complicated after all.
    What makes it complicated are the circumstances that are different for every, single case out there.

14. Click Clack

Click Clack

I'm skeptical of everything I hear anyone say in a gunstore, but I'll pass this overheard anecdote along to stir the pot. I heard a uniformed LEO telling a gunstore clerk that a 22 long rifle would penetrate a bullet proof vest. He also said that he knew of people being shot in the chest and the medical examiner woulld find the 22lr way down in their legs or arms because they would bounce around so much or get caught in their vascular system and travel through an artery. I was skeptical but didn't see any benefit in telling a deputy I doubted him. I know they do a lot of damage in a skull though.

I would love to hear those two 'facts' confirmed or busted by somoeone with real knowledge. Anyone?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  15. datnvan

datnvan

was buying a gun at the local show. another 9mm to be specific. guy next to me was buying a kimber, unknown model but in .45. the seller made some comment about buying a 9mm and the dude buying the gun said his mom wont let him have a 9mm. says he'll shoot his eye out. i wanted to slap the dude.

16. Click Clack

Click Clack

Cemetaries are FULL of people shot with 9mm, .380, and various 22's. I can practice, and hit, a whole lot more with 9mm than I can with a .45 and a .380 will fit in the pocket of my shorts in August when nothing else will.

Everyone would like to carry heavy loads, but it's not feasible for everyone. I know a lot of people that load their own .45's and won't shoot anytheing else. Good for them. They don't carry as often as I do though. They stay home when we go out. I've got a wife and two jobs. I'm not going to spend my off time at a bench making my own ammo.

17. Adjuster

Adjuster

I have also heard the .22 bullets traveling through the blood stream stories.

18. Price

Price

Someone should make some .45 API rounds and end the argument. Just dont shoot anyone within 5 meters.

19. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

When I was doing my diploma at the Military University of Technology back in Warsaw I was lucky enough to watch the bulletproof materials and finished bulletproof vest in action during some testing done there.
    We did the same with one of the bulletproof vests during the initial training with the company I'm working for those days.
    9 mm, 45 ACP, .38 Spl, .357 plus buckshots all were stopped including the famous .22 lr of course.

20. BigChuck73

BigChuck73 Registered Lurk

Shoot to stop the threat. Whether they live or not should in no way enter the picture.