Liver Mush

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Pistol Toter, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Pistol Toter

Pistol Toter

My parents were born in the 20's and raised in the Carolinas. Moma would make a dish that was called liver mush. This product can still be bought in that part of the country but it doesn't taste the same. She would buy a pork roast and bunch of pork liver. She would boil the meat until done. This meat was ground up and to it was added corn meal and spices, like sage and pepper, etc. then this was put into a pan and baked. When it came out of the oven, it could be sliced and sandwich made out of it or fried for breakfast. I can only figure that it must have been a staple in the diet of the southern during hard times or when nothing was wasted. Mom is gone as all that would remember how it was made. Do any of you older southern members have any idea the exact ingrediants and preparations. Maybe you have a parent or grandparent that would recall this wonderful dish. Despite how it may sound it truly was goooood. Thanks P. T.

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

3. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

That stuff would gag a maggot! ;0

4. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Organs are for filtering toxins, exchanging gases, etc. NOT for eating!!!;0 ;0 ;0 ;5

5. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

Good stuff, sliced thin and broiled or fried until crispy.;f