Live round jammed in chamber....

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Nemesis., Sep 21, 2020.

1. ak103k

ak103k

If that doesnt work, put the front of the slide against the edge of a bench (so the barrel is clear), solid board, etc, and gripping the gun tightly, give the back of your hand a couple of sharp raps. Thats always worked for me in the past.

I used to run into that problem on occasion when I was using my old RCBS dies. If the bullet isnt plumb when you start to seat it, it can give a small bulge that doesnt look like anything but can cause this very problem, especially with the Glocks.

I switched to Hornady dies, that have a bullet guide in the seating die, and the problem seems to have gone away.

PEC-Memphis and PattonWasRight like this.
  2. 1cm

1cm

Reading this thread, it is like 75% never read the OP.

quantico, 40_Niner, PM720 and 2 others like this.

3. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

It's cool. I'm taking it to the gunsmith tomorrow.

GlockyQ likes this.
  4. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

Lock the slide back, stick a rod in the muzzle and knock that sucker out on a table

9jeeps likes this.
  5. JDJ

JDJ

Since you have already removed the slide from the frame, next remove the rear slide plate. Remove the striker assembly. Remove the extractor rod and spring. Remove the extractor and the plunger.

Straddle the slide over two pieces of wood. Tap the top of the barrel hood in a downward fashion until you can separate the barrel from the slide.

Use a dowel to remove the cartridge from the barrel.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  6. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

Just curious: what Gen Glock we're discussing?

ShipWreck likes this.
  7. Scion

Scion Heeled

THIS!!! Exactly this.

Redeemed and -JCN- like this.
  8. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I think I would hand it over to a knowledge gunsmith. Don’t know what they are called but amount to a remote trap to muscle a live round. Stay safe.

9. jacala

jacala

mmcbeat
    No offence, but please explain the second sentence ?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  10. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

It's a 43X. How many generations of those are there? It was introduced January '19.

11. jsirles

jsirles

Too late since the slide is off now, but next time.
    Put the frame in a vise, snug but not crazy tight. Take a piece of wood (2x2 or 2x4) and place it, from the side of the pistol and not in front, on the front of the slide next to the barrel. From the side tap the wood with a hammer tapping straight back toward the grip. You’ll be surprised how little effort it takes to unlock it. Do not ever put your hands or tools in front of the muzzle. As stated previously you can take the rear plate off and remove the striker assembly before doing this if you feel it prudent. Also remove the magazine.

12. PRKJayhawk

PRKJayhawk

There’s a video showing how you grip the slide tightly and whack the back strap sharply with your other hand between thumb and finger. I had your problem and on about the third whack the slide popped back. I could then field strip it and pop the round out of the barrel with a dowel.

13. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

With the extractor removed, it should be possible to push the barrel hood down, out of engagement with the slide. Removing the extractor will prevent damage.
    BTW, as regards reloads, I rarely shot anything else for forty years. The (very few) problems have been of my own making; the long suffering Dillon 550 has let me shoot a lot, cheaply.
    Moon

14. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I gunsmith I used to use had one. As best as I can explain it was like a ransom rest in a small bunker. He could fire a gun and/or work on it remotely at a safe distance.

15. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

I started reloading in 1976/77 and have reloaded no telling how many thousands of rounds. I use a Dillon Square Deal (I have two) for straight wall cases. I have a RCBS Boss I use for bottleneck cases. And a MEC for shotgun.

Getting this round lodged in the chamber is an absolute first. I've read (on this thread?) that Glock chambers are tighter? I have three Glocks and this has never happened. I'll likely use new brass for the Glocks in the future.

16. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

Then it has Gen 5 features. I have a feeling the "Marksman" barrel has tighter chamber dimensions. Possibly an attempt by Glock at a semi-match-type chamber. Where the barrel's rifling extends further into the chamber.

ThomasM4 likes this.
  17. nutsnax

nutsnax

My approach doesn't require putting any part of your body in front of a live round that is chambered in a barrel.

halfmoonclip and jimcorbin like this.
  18. K31Scout

K31Scout

Look over your brass for A Merc brass and get rid of all of it. The two times this has happened to me it involved A Merc. I did a little web search and it's a common problem. I have probably 3 gallons of range brass that I'm still sorting.

19. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

Thanks. Will do. This has never happened with my existing brass. And I have two 9mm Glocks, a Beretta 92FS and two 9mm Sigs. Very peculiar.

I'm taking it to the gunsmith today. I'll know then.

20. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

Got it back. They fixed it while I waited.

I apparently swept up someone's discarded case because the round that stuck looked almost like a belted case you'd see on a belted magnum. Somebody short stroked the lever throw on the resizing phase of the reload process. The little "belt" was what kept it from going all the way into the chamber.

I'm gwine give "somebody" a piece of my mind when I see him ........ likely, in the mirror.

I'll be looking for that in the future, even though it's never been a problem in 40 years of reloading.

Thanks for the advice/replies.