Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
Volvo Equipment was a major customer of mine. They make some amazing state of the art stuff.

Watching them roll a drum for a rolling machine was nifty stuff.

They did thinks right a few years ago and closed plants in NC and Canada. Moved everything to new facilities in Shippensburg PA.

They were much more strict with quality than CAT. They also paid for what they demanded.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,067 Posts

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
OSHA would have a field day with the operator. I'm in the safety violation camp. I've seen what sort of mess heavy machinery can make out of bystanders.

Reactions: 686 AR15 G17Fan

·
Premium Member
26,341 Posts
It was cute, good show of skills. I also would have liked the kids back a bit more, ideally a adult by them. At 12 I ran a backhoe unsupervised putting in waterline. I almost put a door in the North side of the garage. Got mud on siding.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
OSHA would have a field day with the operator. I'm in the safety violation camp. I've seen what sort of mess heavy machinery can make out of bystanders.
Yep

I've run all kinds of machinery and though I take pride in my skills no way would I do that that close to small children. Working around adults is bad enough but kids are incredibly unpredictable and when things go wrong it goes bad FAST

·
Banned
547 Posts
Reactions: ZekerMan

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Yeah, that operator should be fired and jailed, it's for the children......common sense equipment safety measures , there should be a law....

Jeez.

You might not have a lot of experience with hydraulically controlled machines of that caliber but the smallest bump could have killed both of those kids in an instant. I've seen it.

Imagine going from controlled bumps to fill the toys to full throttle. Those machines are no slouch and the touch required to operate them is delicate.

Reactions: Detectorist

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
You might not have a lot of experience with hydraulically controlled machines of that caliber but the smallest bump could have killed both of those kids in an instance. I've seen it.

Imagine going from controlled bumps to fill the toys to full throttle. Those machines are no slouch and the touch required to operate them is delicate.
And that guy appeared to have the touch.

Sure, something bad could have happened.

But nothing did, so.....

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Seriously... I know it looks cool but it there is a reason why a skilled operator can do what he did and you cannot. The difference between a sneeze could have killed those kids.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Seriously... I know it looks cool but it there is a reason why a skilled operator can do what he did and you cannot. The difference between a sneeze could have killed those kids.
And obviously, that guy was a seriously skilled operator, since not only were the kids not killed, he didn't even spill any dirt while filling,the Tonka truck.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
And obviously, that guy was a seriously skilled operator, since not only were the kids not killed, he didn't even spill any dirt while filling,the Tonka truck.

William Tell was good too. Shot an apple off his son's head. The risk vs reward here is not comparable. Risk mitigation should be at the forefront of any heavy junk operator. This was poor judgement. If I could put you behind the controls of such equipment you'd understand what I'm talking about. As I can't I'm just gonna walk away from this one. Enjoy your evening.

·
Moved on...
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And THIS is why we should never, EVER venture outside our homes without a mask, for ALL ETERNITY! (...and maybe even longer..)
Seems I take that same chance every day driving with traffic going the other way at 45-60MPH?

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
And THIS is why we should never, EVER venture outside our homes without a mask, for ALL ETERNITY! (...and maybe even longer..)

No, this is why when you have absolutely know idea what risks you are taking you shouldn't bark at those that do.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts