Little chick with a big gun

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Catchlevi, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Catchlevi

Catchlevi

Hey, this is Catchlevi's wife. I have a question for the ladies. We have a G23, and I'm completely happy with that for home defense, although Catch wants to get a 19-23 conversion kit for me(no problems there--happy to shoot it). It's really his, though, and I kinda want my own, especially since he's going to be gone a lot for his job over the next few years (and he'll be taking the G23 with him).

The thing is, sometimes it's fun just to go out and experience smooth shooting, and for that, I really miss our Beretta 96FS. I held a Beretta Cheetah the other day, and that reminded me what I loved about the 96. But the Cheetah is a .380 and I don't necessarily want a gun I wouldn't want to use as a main defensive weapon should the time come. I looked at a few 9mm weapons today, including the Walther P99 and a Sig compact, but I'm undecided.

You probably need to know that I'm 5'1'', 106 lbs. I have fairly big paws for my size (I shoot the G23 one-handed). Being able to reach any safeties, slide catch, etc., with one hand is more of a concern than grip length is. (The grip length on the G23 is actually just about perfect.) We actually traded in the Beretta partly because I couldn't reach the thumb safety with one hand. Could make for a dangerous situation.

I don't have a great deal of experience shooting--only been out 4 or 5 times total with the Glock and maybe 15 times with all weapons I've shot. I'm decently accurate for my level of experience. I plan for this weapon to be primarily enjoyment/home defense, but I'm thinking seriously about future carry possibilities.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Unity

2. maybelle

maybelle

My first thought is get training. Lots of schools and trainers have ladies only classes. You'll be able to work in a ladies only environment, and they go over different guns as well. This gives you an opportunity to handle lots of weapons.

As far as the gun goes, I'd say go with a 23. If your husband has one, and you like it, then get another. That way, your gear (mags, holsters) interchange. Set them up the same way. If his has extended slide stop or mag release, yours should too. Get the same sights if possible.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

3. MB-G26

MB-G26 Canceled Lifetime Member

Welcome, fellow Pigmy :) I can say that, because I've got you beat by 1" and (unfortunately) roughly 10 lbs. ;f I have Pigmy hands tho....:(
    m

4. hdhntr-2000

hdhntr-2000

Get a good look and get to hold the Walther P99. I have the green and black one in .40 S&W. Also go to www.areguns.com and click where it says "gun reviews" and go to "walther p99". You'll see that it has a "Top" review and I have read the same in all other reviews. I resarched all the hand guns and the Walther P99 is the most sofisticated and safest pistol on the market now and it's price is right. I paid $520.00 for mine 2 months ago. Get the Green and Black one....you'll look BAD! Just show it to the bad guyz and they run!!! hehehe.

5. Gary F

Gary F

try out a glock 19, 26, 30 & 36 ....and perhaps a sig 228 (a bit harder to find ... but they are still around...). the gl 30 is my favorite glock ... but i'm not sure if the grip is a bit larger than the 23 or not. the glock 36 (.45) might not be the most fun to shoot lots & lots of rounds through for recreation ... but it would be an excellent carry weapon!! can't go wrong with the gl 19 or 26 ... as long as you use some top-notch 9mm defense ammo for home defense &/or carry.
    I don't think the Walther P99 is the "safest gun" at all ... and as for the "sophistication" ... it just means too many levers/controls ... and too many modes of operation that will get in your way if you are ever in a high adrenaline, high anxiety self-defense situation.
    Keep it simple!
    peace, gary

6. tollertwins

tollertwins

I don't know anything at ALL about the Walther - but in general,

I'd stay away from guns that have too many levers to work - esp. if you have small hands.

I had a compact Baby Eagle - because it felt good in my hand and had a light trigger pull in SA. I have LOTS of trouble w/ DA guns because my hands are weak. It was a DA/SA w/ a decocker....

Went to Thunder Ranch and found out VERY quickly that I was carrying the wrong gun.

You can't carry in SA - and the trigger pull was so long in DA that I kept pulling the sights off target on the first shot (which is the most critical one if somebody's after you). Also - the thumb on my strong hand didn't reach the decocker - so I ended up doing all SORTS of contortions to reach it.

I now have a Glock 26. The grip is a little wide for my hand, but I'm going to go w/ it for now - but the guys at TR all suggested that I may need a grip reduction done to be really comfortable.

7. tollertwins

tollertwins

PS -

Gary - lots of us w/ itty bitty hands also have itty bitty wrists - which don't handle lots of recoil particularly well.

The hottest thing that I can shoot and hit well enough to feel comfortable carrying are Win. Silvertips....which shoot like they are a lightish load.

8. Gary F

Gary F

tollertwins:
    (possibly) aside from the glock 36 (which i have not shot) .... the other guns i suggested .... the glock 19,26,30 and the Sig 228 do not have harsh recoil .... all much less felt recoil than the .40 or .357sig calibers!
    peace, gary

9. tollertwins

tollertwins

I know...The comment was more re: the defensive round - not the gun. There is a lot of conversation on the board re: if you go 9mm you need to use a 'hot' round. I, personally, can't shoot any of the hot rounds - they make my hands and wrists hurt. ;1

My husband can't tell the difference in felt recoil in my Glock 26 between Federal 135 hydrashocks, Win 115 grain STHP's, WinWhite box, PMC, and UMC.....However, it's all very clear to me - and none of these are +p's.

10. MB-G26

MB-G26 Canceled Lifetime Member

I would love to hear about "grip reduction" for a G26. I didn't know this was, or could be done....... what kind of expense and 'down time' is typically involved? For lack of a better way to put it, is it 'bad' at all for the gun or its performance?
    m

11. tollertwins

tollertwins

It doesn't do anything at all to the function of the gun. They fill the backstrap channel w/ epoxy and then grind it down some...will grind front off as well/or instead if you need it. It looks like it turns it from a curved grip to a straight grip.

I think Arizona Response Systems does it for around $125 - I checked once, and don't remember. There's also a shop in Texas that does it - but I don't know price.

I think that it only takes several days to do - downtime is likely to be more due to backlog.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

http:/www.robarguns.com

12. Amelia

Amelia

From a fellow shortie...

Try out as many guns as you can, but if the G23 fits, you are probably good to go with that. Of course, the more you shoot other guns the more you will know how well the G23 suits you. If you want to smove to 9mm for cheaper ammo, try the G19 or G17. (i started on a 19 and i still think it's a great all around first handgun!).

And i surely second the call for "get training and then more training"! That's what i have done and will continue to do.

Good Luck!

:)

13. Amelia

Amelia

On grip reduction...

A friend of mine had her G19 reduced by Dane Burns some time ago. It fits her perfectly and I've actually used it in a weekend long class before (before i owned my own). Grip reduction is a good option if you just want the grip smaller but you love the gun otherwise.

14. tollertwins

tollertwins

Does Dane have a website? Do you know how long it took?

15. Amelia

Amelia

16. GLOCKNROCK

GLOCKNROCK

Catchlevi's wife,
    I have the Walther P99 in 40S&W. I also carry a G30. The Walther is very easy to operate, has a very short trigger reset, an easy to reach mag release (ambidextrous)is a plus, and the decocker is easy to manipulate. The cool thing is you can carry the P99 with a bullet chamber and decocked if you feel more at ease that way. Many people choose to carry either decocked or chamber empty. Anyway, you can easily manipulate the slide one handed to reset the trigger with a very small movement. I do it all the time at the range just for practice for a situation say where the primer strike fails to ignite and a quick reset is necessary with only one hand to manipulate. Sorry this is stretching out. One last thing...the P99 offers 3 grip sizes that you customize to fit your hand just by popping out a pin and putting in another backstrap piece that comes with the pistol. The Walther or the Glocks are choices you cannot go wrong with...reliable,many choices, and safe!

17. G-22er

G-22er

Since you're already familiar with the G19 & G23, those would be my first suggestions.

Also, it might be worthwhile to take a look at the Kahr P9 or the Sig P225.

18. Rock_n_Glock35

Rock_n_Glock35

Any of the Glock family of pistols would make an excellent choice as you know. But you had mentioned your affection for the Beretta design. Specifically the 92 or 96 versions and their variants. Beretta is also a fine handgun, and you could do a hell of alot worse than the new Beretta Vertec. We brought a few into the range for the customers and we were all wary. Upon firing it, I fell in love with it. Took everything away from the original that I didn't like, and added some features that it sorely needed. Check out Beretta's website, they've got alot of new stuff to choose from. Again, this is only a suggestion due to the fact you seem to favor the Beretta. So the rest of the GlockTalk diehards out there please don't flame me!

19. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

The three pistols that I have seen small-medium handed shooters shoot best with, and which I personally am very fond of, are the Glock 19, the Browning Hi-Power, and the Sig 225.

As an example, my fiance (5'4" with small-medium hands and little shooting experience) fired all three in the same range session. The Glock 19 fit her well and she learned it the fastest, but the recoil was a little snappy for her with hotter ammo. I stopped her and put the pistol away because she was starting to flinch after just a couple of magazines. If you can already shoot the Glock 23 well, that should be a non-issue for you. The BHP was probably her favorite to shoot, with little or none of the flinching that I was seeing her starting with the Glock. On the downside, she would require a fair amount of training before she could carry it and shoot it safely on her own. The Sig 225 was actually the pistol that she shot the best, and that she said felt the best. She also learned the controls very quickly, and the weight was a perfect compromise between being light enough to not cause fatigue and heavy enough to soften recoil. The only problem was the first shot with its long DA trigger pull. A little range time would cure that though, and it really wasn't that bad at 10 yards. And if you can fire the Beretta 92 effectively, this won't be an issue for you either.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up choosing.

20. jeremy54b

jeremy54b Merely Here...

Just FYI, Robar does a grip reduction too. It is the only one approved by certain Federal agencies for their agents. Jeremy